• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shilen Prefit Barrel 308 remington action

bschneiderheinze

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2011
    Behind the Glass
    I just bought one of these on sale at brownels for 224 shipped hard to passs up. It is a shilen prefit for remington action threaded and crowned. Didn't know if anyone had any experience with these good or bad. I am going to send it to the gunsmith when it comes in and have the action trued and barrel installed I figured they were short chambered but shilen doesnt really say anywhere.

The prefits will work fine, just take your time and don't get carried away.

This is key. Towards the end, I was only turning the reamer one revolution at a time before checking headspace. Cleaning the chamber thoroughly prior to checking headspace is also critical as a chip in the wrong place can make you think you've got more to cut when you really don't.

I dont think I will have problem I am having a very competent gunsmith install it and true the action. It seems like it will be alot cheaper than starting with a barrel blank. The barrel itself already chambered and crowned was cheaper than a normal shilen blank and would not think it would take the smith very long to install it so Im probably looking at $250 for truing and installing