• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shilen Trigger / Timney Calvin

majohnson2

Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Front Range, CO
Anyone use the standard Shilen trigger? Any stock mods to make it fit. I emailed the folks at Shilen about reusing Remington factory safety assembly, they replied it should. Should does not instill must confidence in the response.

Another trigger of interest is Timneys new Calvin line. Anyone used or using one of them? I want to maintain a safety and bolt release and I'm looking for an X40 replacement that doesn't require grinding a relief the inside if the stock.

My 700 is part of the recall and I don't feel like dealing with the folks at Remington.

The new Calvin is badass. Sadly depending on the stock you might have to mod it some for one of the side pins. Its worth it though.

I really like the new Timney Calvin Elite. I put it in my match rifle yesterday. We will see how it holds up in the field when it gets full of dirt. I use Rock Solid Stocks and there was no modification needed for the new Timney.

I'm using a shilen with a rifle basix safety kit (brownells has them) in a hs precision pss stock and did not have any clearance problems. I also had to purchase the bolt stop release for it ($7 or so at brownells). Its a pretty decent trigger, blade is a bit thin, but it may be more because my other 700 has a rifle basix with the wide shoe on it. It was easier to adjust than the rb. I had a hard time getting rid of creep with the rb, but not so with the shilen. it is set about 2lbs and have not had a problem with it or the safety. I picked it up cheap ($40 without safety and bsr) so it is definitely worth what I paid.

majohnson2 I have a McRee chassis and a jewell trigger and it dropped right in.

I have run about 500 rounds through my Calvin with a M2013 action and AIAX chassis. No problems so far and I really like the trigger.

Thanks! I called McRee and spoke with Scott, he advised me that it would fit. Scott also mentioned if for some reason it didn't fit, to send the stock in and they would make any necessary changes for no charge. Thats a man that stands behind his product.

Last edited:
I am using the Calvin in a Manners T4a and it is awesome to say the least. Very easy to instal and it has a very smooth and light break.