• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shimming a perfectly good scope base to make stupid shots

armymedic.2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2008
upstate ny
I have been making some stupid shots with my 308 lately, requiring backing down to half power and still holding all the way to the reticles max. Stupid but very fun.
I have a nightforce one piece 20 moa base, with a nightforce nsx 5-22 npr2 I love how solid the mating surfaces are, but i want more dialing ability. Holding 8 moa or more at the bottom of the reticle is not as precise as i would like. Currently i max my turret out at 59.75 moa. That only gets me around 1200 yards in my environment, and then begins holding over

Is shimming rock solid enough? Bed with marine tex around the shimming? Not worth the hassle? Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Very bad idea, to many variables to go wrong. Just get a 30-40moa base or buy a 20moa one piece scope mount to put on top of the rail.

Thats what i was thinking and why i havent done it. The one piece nf mount i have is a 20 moa already. The mount is so expensive i just hate to swap it out

What picatinny rail are you running? You can get a good one piece rail with 20moa for less then a $100 or are you running the one piece 700 mount?

You could PM clayne_b on here and he could hook you up with a variable gantry mount that will give you up to or more than 100 moa of adjustability in the base.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

That VGM really is awsome for making stupid shots. Ha ha like 500 yards with a .22lr only using 3 moa on the scope and the rest on the mount.

Vgm mount.... Interesting. Ill look into it thanks for the lead.

Im using the one piece 700 mount. Hence the comment on how expensive it is.

Long before all the LR tacticool stuff came out, we used Redfield Jr bases that we bedded, with home made beer can shims that would put us were we wanted. Don't try, think, and do for your selfs, just throw money at it.

Tacticool,... is for those who think they can buy in, with what will most likely always be a safe queen. Or they are swayed easily buy those, who have a interest in your wallet.

Long before all the LR tacticool stuff came out, we used Redfield Jr bases that we bedded, with home made beer can shims that would put us were we wanted.

Was just getting ready to say this myself. The beer/soda can shim works quiet well.

Make 100y zero TOP of reticle, no need to monkey with your gear?
We did that also. No dialing at all and if you used the duplex for reverse power holds, it had many good hold over points as well.

Hmmmm. Thanks for the thoughts. I dont want to leave the center crosshair if i can help it because the npr 2 has awesome windage hash marks, but...... Guess i dont really need those at 100 anyway. Got some ponderin to do. Glad to hear the shims were not giving any issues though.

What I've done before....
Once I calculated how much shim I needed, I got a set of cheap feeler gauges and dismantled it to get the thickness of feeler gauge shim I wanted. Then I heated it red hot and let it cool, annealing it. Then I cut it and drilled it to shape. It conformed nicely and worked great. One piece bases only.