• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping a Long Rifle

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    For you guys that have sold or purchased rifles in the Px or online...in your opinion what is the best option to ship a rifle?

im thinking about selling a bolt gun in the Px. Would you just put it in a hard case, then in a box, tape the dogfuck out of it, take it to UPS and insure it?

I usually just pack them well in a sturdy cardboard box and take to the UPS customer service center. Insured. Shipped many rifles like that and so far no problems.

Ups? USPS? What do you tell them at the desk? That you’re shipping a firearm? Machine parts? When I ship suppressors I always just say “machine parts” or “pipe fittings”

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    I wouldn't take a chance with usps right now.

Ups. I usually create my own labels, and they don't ask what the contents are when I drop it off. There is no problem telling them what it is, just make sure there are no external markings on the box or label that indicate it is a firearm.

I even leave any reference to firearms out of the shipping address. For instance, if it is going to Jim Bob's Gun Shop, I just put Jim Bob's.

And don't take it to a ups store. They are a franchise and not able to take firearms, not to mention the the soy boy creating the shipments head will explode when you tell him it is a rifle.

I took a scope to ups store once and it was an ordeal, with the clerk screaming 'is this a a RIFLE part'??????

For any gun that I bought new, I have saved the original cardboard box and packing material. For rifles I've sold, I take them to my FFL and have him ship. It's cheaper than doing it myself.

For ones I'm sending out for smith work, I use a cheap case like posted above that I bought. I have various cardboard that I save from other things I've bought that I'll use to box around the case. I usually zip tie the holes for the locks and take it to the UPS hub. I tell them it's a rifle (or rifle parts, if its the barreled action). The guy will ask me if it's unloaded and I'll say yes. He scans it and gives me my receipt.

I shipped a 10/22 to a smith for some work, he told me to just buy a gun case from amazon, and re-use the cardboard shipping box it came it, put address labels on it and use USPS. He never had any issues, the local PO knew he was a gunsmith, he used the same method to ship it back to me. Just answer the questions at the PO and pay the fees. He shipped it back to me via USPS, no issues at all. This was about 18 months ago, so times have changed a bit in terms of damage, etc. LOL

Pop the barreled action out of the stock/chassis.
    Shorter box that doesn't advertise "this is probably a gun".
    Might save some shipping expense as well.

R

Yes, great tip. I did that with the last one I shipped, mostly because I couldn't find a box long enough.

Ups? USPS? What do you tell them at the desk? That you’re shipping a firearm? Machine parts? When I ship suppressors I always just say “machine parts” or “pipe fittings”
    You need to tell them that you're there to mail/ship a firearm

I won't clutter this with the caveats for mailing or shipping handguns since that's not what you're asking about.

Here are the regulations you must follow

USPS: https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm I would use only Registered Mail because it offers the highest security of any USPS service.

UPS Ground: https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/media/en_US/terms_service_us.pdf see section 3.7

Fedex Ground: https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/SG_GroundTariff_2021.pdf see page 8

I used the manufacturer's box ( that I kept) with the foam, Then heavy brown wrapping paper and 2" wide heavy packing tape.

I used Fedex - UPS was almost twice the cost. FedEx agent asked if it was a firearm and if it was unloaded - no other hassle at all. I have always shipped to an FFL licensee - no issues.

Never used a hard case and never had to tell anyone what it was. Ammunition is a different story and I'm not willing to ship that anymore.

I ship a lot of guns and almost always use USPS Priority Mail for long guns. I am shipping two today. There is no restriction for shipping long guns through the mail. They do not currently accept handguns. If you go online and search for the Domestic Mail Manual you can find the regulations about shipping firearms and the list of restricted items. You can not ship ammo through the US mail. They are not supposed to ask if it is a firearm, they are supposed to only asked if it has any of the restricted items. I have one pain in the ass postal clerk that wants me to fill out the firearm declaration, which is only for handguns, every time I go in there. I think my last visit with the Post Master may have fixed that.

I went to the LGS and asked for a box. Popped the action out of the stock, platic bags (have tons of those) to make sure it couldn't move, taped the shit out it with packing tape. No hard case.

Guns.com sends your purchase in a cheap $15 hard case, which I love because then I have a light case for range day and hunting. In one case, the hardcase was in a box; in another case it was exposed with shipping label on it and wrapped in shrink wrap. Both guns got to me just fine.