• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping mags to California.

chris223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
chicago
I have some mags on gunbroker. the are 30 rnd hi caps . A guy wants to buy em and he said if I can tear the mags down and ship as rebuild kits.That that ok. Anyone know if this is legal?

Re: Shipping mags to California.

You can ship as repair parts just do not send as a put together complete magazine..
Yes they currently allow every single part to be used for replacement.

Most companies charge 1.00-5.00 to take apart the mags by just removing the floor plates.

If you want to be even safer just send floor plates in separate box, but legally you just have to take mags apart

Graham's Rule #1 applies.

Question: Assuming it's legal to ship magazine parts; if you disassemble an entire magazine and ship the parts, are you shipping an entire magazine or does the magazine suddenly and magically transform itself into something else when you disassemble it and then ship it in its entirety to the same person?

I'm with Graham on this one regardless of what others may interpret as being permitted (or otherwise ignored) under CA, NY, etc. law.

This topic has been raised multiple times in the past including as recently as a month or so ago...here's a link to one such topic:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3781073

Proceed at your own risk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are tons of companies who ship mag parts kits to cali it is 100% legal. </div></div>100% legal? Hmmmm........ An interesting concept.

Some AR15 magazines, like some PMAGs, were developed and manufactured after the date of the California magazine ban. If one ships an entire magazine to California, one that was designed and manufactured after the ban, does the argument apply that it is not a new magazine because it was shipped as 'replacement' parts?

First off its legal
second we all need to stick together and do all we can to help others oppressed by dumb gun laws.
Third the law about high caps in California has nothing to do with possession just selling whole high capacity magazines in the state.
Forth the law allows rebuilding high capacity magazines.

Heck you can even get permission to rebuild a worn out registered assault rifle

As stated above it is 100% legal. Yes, the law makers of CA really made a difference with the "hi cap" mag laws!

You can rebuild your worn out "hi cap" mags with NEW parts....EVERY part. And there is no stipulation on a 20, 30, 100, etc., magazine. Because CA law says anything over 10 rounds is a "hi cap" mag.
So you worn out 20rd GI mag can rebuilt into a new 30rd Pmag.

BUT....unless you have a registered "assualt rifle", or a featurless rifle (Valquartsen is one, M1A,etc.) or bolt gun....you can not use them.

But for folks like myself who travel to OR, NV, AZ,etc., we take our mags with us and use them there.

Gotta love CA gun laws......

You can ship a stripped down magazine to California because you are mailing parts. If the person in California opts to assemble them into a functioning magazine, that's on him. But selling parts is completely legal, at least for the time being.

I love loop holes!

How do you think this applies to say NY? I have tons of friend in NY that are under a reign of terror from the state. I would love to send them some rebuild kits or parts.

Anyone in NY up to date with the law wanna chime in? I stopped paying attention to that state when I left over a year ago.

Background checks for ammo.... LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moredots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love loop holes!

How do you think this applies to say NY? I have tons of friend in NY that are under a reign of terror from the state. I would love to send them some rebuild kits or parts.

Anyone in NY up to date with the law wanna chime in? I stopped paying attention to that state when I left over a year ago.

Background checks for ammo.... LOL </div></div>

Don't think it applies in New York since there is an amnesty period to get rid of or turn them in. After that it becomes a crime to own anything that holds more than 10 rounds, and a crime to load a magazine with any more than 7...Dumb@$$3$ so quick to try a sneak the legislation through, they forgot to exempt law enforcement!!! DOH!!!

So now garands are gonna have to use specially made 7rd clips? As far as exemption for the cops; no disrespect to professionals, but none of them deserve to abide by different rules. As far as sending mag kits, I do it no problem. So what woud happen if you somehow got caught sending a complete mag anyways?

Its legal to sell a disassembled "hi cap" mag to a CA resident per CA DOJ.
Here is the letter stating so:
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

Its legal as long as they are rebuilding a hi cap magazine that they lawfully owned prior to the ban. Alot of us also take the mag bodies and build them into 10/30's. Basically taking a 30rd mag body and permanently converting so it will only take 10 rounds, but still has the look of a 30rd mag.

Yes it is legal to ship parts and parts kits. People buy PMAGS for the purpose of building a "10/30" mag which is blocked internally to only hold 10 rounds (via rivets, polymer blocks, etc).

Yes someone COULD just assemble a PMAG which did not even EXIST before the Jan. 1 2000 ban..... and would be committing a felony and be at risk of prosecution if said mag was ever examined by any LEO at the range or at a traffic stop. (PLAY STUPID GAMES, WIN STUPID PRIZES).

I would not think you sending if you live in a "free state" a complete mag anything. If would fall on the receiver of the mag. This happens from time to time according to post on CalGuns when ordering rebuild kits.

Here in CA it is illegal to, IMPORT, manufacture, sell, give away, hi-cap mags. Possession is NOT illegal (not yet at least...they are working on that).
If I go to the range and find a complete 30rd AR mag, I can legally keep it. And the statue of limitations on importing,mfg.,etc. is only three years.

Again....stupid laws that have done NOTHING to lower crime.

Well that is good to hear that there are ways to get what you want.I guess at the very least you risk only losing a mag. However, it seems to be that some officers out there can be a bit over zealous. I realize that there are some on the right side but all it takes is that "one guy" who doesn't get it to wreck your world. Atleaset cost a buch of money fighting the charges.

I am about to do some trading with a guy from CA on 30 round HK mags, here is what he has to say.

"I have a high cap mag permit (only FFL's can get these)"

You guys from CA, how true is this statement, can you help me out by directing me to the document in the CA DOJ stating this to be the fact? I just did not want to make a strong point with guy saying, "Show me."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am about to some trading with a guy from CA, on the 30 round HK mags, here is what he has to say.

You guys from CA, how true is this statement, can you help me out by directing me to the document in the CA DOJ stating this to be the fact? I just did not want to make a strong point with guy saying, "Show me."

</div></div>

If he doesnt have a FFL, or is a LEO with department letter head, NO GO. You can take em apart and ship them to him.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pages/we-ship-to-ca-9.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Hi-cap permits do exist but that sounds silly besides it's not like mags are hard to take apart/put back together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am about to some trading with a guy from CA, on the 30 round HK mags, here is what he has to say.

</div></div>

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

You have the option of telling him to send you a copy of his permit, OR sell it to him but take off the floorplate, and put it seperately in the same box, thus making it a "parts kit".

To the responders to my question, Thank you for the information.