• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping my shotgun?

264shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
Western Nevada
Hi all,

I was wondering what my options are to ship my shotgun to it's new owner.

Does it have to go FFL to FFL ?
The local gun store wants a total of $75.
Does that sound like a fair price?

Can I ship it to his FFL ?

Which of the shipping companies are firearm friendly.

Thanks
Chuck

Re: Shipping my shotgun?

If his FFL will accept shipments from an individual, you can ship it directly to his FFL and he will fill out the proper paperwork, however, most laws require an FFL to FFL transfer. If I were you, I would shop around to find the best price for the FFL transfer.

As for shipping firearms, you're going to find horror stories for each of them i.e. USPS, UPS, and FedEx. Fortunately, I've not had any issues with any of them but there are some others who will comment on this topic that will steer you in the right direction. Best of luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Yes, if his FFL will accept from an individual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

You are subject to get unfriendly folks at any of them. Seems like USPS has the reputation for being the most unfriendly.
In my experience they are usually more expensive because their insurance rates are higher.

Most UPS "stores" will not ship firearms, but any UPS hub will ship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If his FFL will accept shipments from an individual, you can ship it directly to his FFL and he will fill out the proper paperwork, however, most laws require an FFL to FFL transfer. If I were you, I would shop around to find the best price for the FFL transfer.

As for shipping firearms, you're going to find horror stories for each of them i.e. USPS, UPS, and FedEx. Fortunately, I've not had any issues with any of them but there are some others who will comment on this topic that will steer you in the right direction. Best of luck! </div></div>

^THIS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If his FFL will accept shipments from an individual, you can ship it directly to his FFL and he will fill out the proper paperwork, however, most laws require an FFL to FFL transfer. If I were you, I would shop around to find the best price for the FFL transfer.

As for shipping firearms, you're going to find horror stories for each of them i.e. USPS, UPS, and FedEx. Fortunately, I've not had any issues with any of them but there are some others who will comment on this topic that will steer you in the right direction. Best of luck! </div></div>

I'm not aware of any law that requires an FFL to FFL transfer. Where is that the law?

The easiest way to ship a shotgun is with the post office. It's actually against the law for them to tell you that they can't mail it. It can be mailed. Use parcel post and get insurance. It's that simple. And only mail it to an FFL that you've verified through EZ-check on the ATF's website.

BTW, if his FFL won't accept from a non-FFL, that's his problem. There's absolutely no reason why an FFL cannot accept a firearm from an individual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all,

I was wondering what my options are to ship my shotgun to it's new owner.

Does it have to go FFL to FFL ?
The local gun store wants a total of $75.
Does that sound like a fair price?

Thanks
Chuck

</div></div>

I would just go through one of your FFL's...

When I sold my rifle, I went to a couple shippers, and they all turned me down... Even though most had posters on their walls saying it was OK to ship long-guns!

My FFL shop down the block shipped mine for free, I only had to pay for insurance (Which I opted for)

Plus the best reason for shipping from an FFL is the rock solid paper trail for the transaction of your firearm! I won't even do a FTF transaction without one... even with a "Bill of sale"!