• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shipping Scope to Canada?

remau308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
Carrollton, Georgia
Alright, I've never had this request before, but someone is requesting I ship a Schmidt and Bender scope to Canada. I've never done this before, and am wondering if there's any restrictions on it, how much paperwork, how expensive etc. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

export license needed and still it might get confiscated by customs... risky business... just my opinion... I am probably wrong as is the usual

Depends on the model... "commercial grade" rifle scopes are exempt from ITAR controls and can be sent to countries listed as "friendly" (see the US Customs list) provided the customs paperwork is filled out correctly. I believe you need to reference ECCN 0A987 for specific details on rifle scopes and what can and cannot be exported.

"Military Grade" rifle scopes are ITAR-controlled and would require an export permit and associated paperwork in addition to going to a country listed as "friendly."

If it's a commercial-grade scope and the recipient is in a "friendly"-classified country you can state "Commercial Grade Riflescope - No Export License Required Per ECCN 0A987" on the customs paperwork and you should not have an issue.

Unfortunately the definition between "commercial grade" and "military grade" in regards to a rifle scope is somewhat gray and open to interpretation... I certainly wouldn't attempt to send *any* scope that is/has been issued a NSN out of the country. Being that you're selling an S&B, I specifically wouldn't try to ship any PMII model out of the country. An Exos, Stratos, Zenith, Summit, or Klassik hunting model maybe-- but I wouldn't even attempt a PMII. Because of the somewhat vague definitions of what makes up a "military grade" scope vs. a "commercial grade" scope I've heard of scopes with ranging and/or illuminated reticles being held up in customs because whomever inspected the scope decided to classify them as "military grade" because of those features.

I've sent several commercial-grade scopes to Australia (a listed "friendly" country) and each time I was biting my nails until they were in the hands of the buyer even though I followed all applicable regulations and correctly filled out the customs paperwork. Until the tracking number showed "delivered" and I got an email from the buyer saying he had the scope in-hand I was waiting for a phone call or visit from Customs. Never got one but I was still nervous!

Additionally, I vaguely recall from doing my research on the Customs website that Canada didn't sign and/or opted out of some ITAR related agreement with the US several years ago and thus may not be on the "friendly" countries list for receiving a rifle scope. You need to do *thorough* research before printing a shipping label & customs form to keep yourself out of potential trouble.

If you have even the slightest doubt or have even the slightest reservation about sending the shipment... don't do it. The potential hassle and/or legal issues aren't worth it!

Last edited:
I appreciate the replies. It's way to screwy to mess with. I'm just going to keep it in the conus.

100% agreed... which is a shame because given exchange rates and/or other issues foreign buyers often make very appealing offers to US-based sellers! I recently swapped some emails with a guy in Brazil who said prices for things down there relating to optics and air rifles were 2-4x what they go for up here because of government corruption & bribery issues that the importers have to deal with even though the products are legal.

While the above situation and saving money is the primary motivation for many foreign buyers to purchase from individuals in the US, obviously don't go sending a bunch of PVS-27s to someone in China... even if the offer is *really* tempting. :p

Last edited:
Canada

Looks like someone is trying to save a dollar or 2 and maybe even get the 2 of you in trouble? ITAR Regs I am sure prohibit sending any S&B to Canada!

I appreciate the replies. It's way to screwy to mess with. I'm just going to keep it in the conus.

Went through the same issue awhile back with a Henny. You're making the choice. Damn regulations like that just don't make sense.