• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shirts..for the heat!

Yoteski

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Looking for input for some long sleeve shirt suggestions to beat the heat. My arms look like Swiss cheese after shooting in the terrain I do so I'm looking for a good long sleeve shirt that provides some protection without being sweltering hot.
Thanks!

I have a half dozen 50spf fishing shirts. Cool and vented and prevent sunburn... Just google 50spf shirt and there’s an avalanche of them. The one I have from Patagonia is my favorite, but I have a nice HUK too.

Underarmour heat gear shirts. I wear them( long and shirt sleeve) all time and they come in a variety of colors.

Reactions: Yoteski
I have a few Orvis Drirelease shirt that are really nice in the sun and heat. Breathe well, and don’t feel too overly synthetic or plastic-y. Not on the cheap end of the scale, but I would definitely recommend.

Look on Academy.com. Good shirts fairly priced. Have had good experiences with all Magellan products

Columbia makes two weights that I'm aware of. The lightweight ones won't do much for elbow protection. I would either go with cotton or a lightweight mil top that will have an extra layer on the elbows. One other option is the tape for joints, etc. The link will give you the idea--or a strip of 100 mph tape on the elbow

Maybe try the army combat shirts? Moisture wicking body area material with heavier duty arm material. Some cool pockets on the sleeve too

The previous suggestions for Columbia fishing shirts all hit it on the head. I prefer the long sleeved versions that are like T-shirts’, but with 50 spf. I don’t like the fishing shirts with pockets because I find the chest pockets to get caught on things like stocks, gear, or vegetation.

These say “UPF 20+ sun protection”, made with bamboo. They’re super light and breathe well in the humid, swamp-ass Louisiana heat.

Check out Snikwah (it's just Hawkins spelled backwards). https://www.snikwahoutdoors.com/
I use some of their long sleeve with the neck gaitor thingy when doing classes during the summer months in the gulf south. Especially once you start sweating, they are pretty good and are a good option versus smothering yourself in sunscreen every 2 hours.

They are also pretty darned good 1st layer during cooler weather.

./

Reactions: Yoteski and lash
Since you mentioned terrain and heat, stay away from cotton next to your skin. Look for the tactical shirts they have thicker sleeves, reinforced elbows and a wicking poly layer next to your body that helps pull the sweat. I'm not a fanboy of 511 but I grabbed a few on sale for pretty cheap and they work. You can find the surplus mil current or previous generation as well for fairly reasonable. Of course the question is do you care about looking tacticool or not. If it's not a big deal, these would work, if not, I'd suggest maybe layering a poly underneath and cotton over top that way you could unbutton or remove the cotton, much like the military does with T-shirts and BDU tops.

Sams club and Costco always have fishing shirts this time of year. I use them for working outside to keep the sun off. They work well, and are cheap so no big deal if you rip it or whatever.

Check out Snikwah (it's just Hawkins spelled backwards). https://www.snikwahoutdoors.com/
I use some of their long sleeve with the neck gaitor thingy when doing classes during the summer months in the gulf south. Especially once you start sweating, they are pretty good and are a good option versus smothering yourself in sunscreen every 2 hours.

They are also pretty darned good 1st layer during cooler weather.

./
I’ve been using long sleeve performance shirts like Magellan and Columbia, but the neck area always suffers. These look like a great option with the gaitor thingy and are reasonably priced too.
(y)(y)

In Texas we've been wearing old, long sleeve pearl snap shirts to hall hay in for decades. If they can stop the hay from tearing up your arms they can stop just about anything. Long sleeve and even have a collar to keep the sun from burning your ass. Light enough as to not hinder movement. If you are a little hot, just undo another button on the chest.

I've worn these for several years for the Steel Safari in New Mexico... In conditions up to 108 deg F
As for your skin... Try running a strip of KT Tape or Rock Tape over your elbows and down your forearms. This stuff allows for sweat to escape.
I grew up in North Texas and generally concur with the idea of light denim, western style, cotton shirts but designs and materials have improved. You want sweat to evaporate off of your skin not off of the shirt material, so ventilation into the shirt is critical.
I spent a few decades evaluating apparel for extreme sports and extreme environments ... Both cold and hot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yoteski and lash
First lite makes some called aerowool. I have a few I wear for early bow season they do a good job of wicking the sweat.

Any light colored loose fitting cotton long sleeve shirt will do. Cotton shirts will soak up your sweat and cool you down.

A hat with a cape or a wet (or dry) bandana draped over your neck will help.

You could always use a tarp if you aren't going to be moving around that much.

Columbia pfg’s or longsleeve surfing rashguards. Spent 12+ hours a day on the water in the Florida keys. Nice thing about the rashies is that most of the ones on the market are spf 60ish rated.

Any of the "fishing shirts" with a synthitic wicking t-shirt under them. I've got a bunch, some are the Bass Pro house brand (forget name) and some are Columbia PFG. I've worn them from the dry heat of PHX to the soup of HOU. About the time I started shooting competitively (~10 yrs ago) I also noticed a lot of friends having to have surgery for possible melanomas from long term sun exposure. One friend had to have the top of an ear clipped off. Fishing shirts and full brimmed hats for me. Farmers tan's ain't sexy on anybody.

^^^ thats why I like the superlight hoodie stuff for my neck and ears. Too many years in the 4 corners baking in the sun... Fits well over a hat and In-ear Pro.

Velocity Systems. I've done adventure races, The Tactical Games, and all sorts of outdoor activities in these. They are cool and dry quickly. And made in the USA.