• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shoes????

the-dude-abides.jpg

Though I love Salomon, I have also used La Sportiva a ton for outdoors work/ice climbing. Soles are always grippy, pretty comfortable. The insulated and water proof options have worked well for their given weight.

Just to expand on this. The manufacturer makes no difference. You have to have a shoe/boot that fits. The toe box is the sacrifice most make to get a "brand" shoe. Some are also made with more eversion/inversion at the ankle. This depends on how you stand and walk as to which you should probably get. In single leg stance, ideally, your ankle is forced into a neutral position. this also makes you use the stabilizers of the foot and ankle better. With proper strength, barring previous strains, there is no need for ankle support. Tall boots tend to erode the stabilizer strength and allow your ankle to become weaker, putting you in danger of injuring yourself when not wearing boots. Now, this seems simple, but realize that the foot and ankle is part of a chain that extends up to and through your trunk. I could go on, but it's in depth an simple foot issues can be caused by trunk instability/tightness and hip instability/tightness that cause rotations when walking and running. Even the SI joints play a big part in it. But the bottom line is , get something that fits properly and you'll eliminate a lot of issues right off the bat.

But I like these...they come in a tactical coyote brown
View attachment 7095057
You have any other brands you like? Always on the search for a new zero drop shoe for daily or whatever. Been on the search for a wide toebox zero drop steel toe for work for years without luck

I prefer altras. Call me a hippy but a wide toe box, neutral shoe gets me every time.. I'm in the belief we evolved without the massive heel to toe drop that most shoe company's offer now adays and it only weakens the foot and ankle structure not engaging multiple muscles and tendons we have to support a barefoot lifestyle.

I've been wearing Solomon's for years - Just ordered a pair of Altras to see how the difference in toe box, and zero rise works out. Thanks for the heads up.

Holy crap the Altra website is out of pretty well everything in a size 13. Wound up ordering a pair of Superior 4s. Not sure how I ended up coming to the Hide today and ordering ... Shoes?

Reactions: 4066.5
I've been wearing Solomon's for years - Just ordered a pair of Altras to see how the difference in toe box, and zero rise works out. Thanks for the heads up.

Holy crap the Altra website is out of pretty well everything in a size 13. Wound up ordering a pair of Superior 4s. Not sure how I ended up coming to the Hide today and ordering ... Shoes?

It friggen happens.

I bought flags and shoes yesterday because of posts on here.

Reactions: 4066.5
I see that a couple guys are wearing the same style of shoes but I’m not familiar with them. Can some people give me advice to what they like and why. TIA
Started using the adidas swift 2.0 gtx. Speed lace system, grippy, comfortable and waterproof. I've used them for about a year and they show almost no wear.

You have any other brands you like? Always on the search for a new zero drop shoe for daily or whatever. Been on the search for a wide toebox zero drop steel toe for work for years without luck
I'm a lot like you in that I have difficulty finding properly fitting shoes. The lasts they are made on matter a lot. Italian shoes tend to run more narrow than German ones, so that's where I basically start my search. I do like Kenetrek or Meindels though.

Haha you won't be disappointed, just transition slow ( don't go out and walk 10 miles in them). I think their website has a suggested transition chart too? Zero drop is amazing once you get use to it. Take a jog in your grass barefoot then put you shoes on, you'll notice you strike with your forefoot when barefoot but with shoes you tend to heel strike more, this is the cause of most running related injuries you see. Zero drop mimics your barefoot muscles.

Also in the future runningwarehouse has a fanfuckingtastic return policy for trying out shoes. I had a a pair of shoes I had for over a year that I only ran 15-20 miles in cause they didn't work out. When I tried donating them to them for their weekly runs they ended up doing a return for full price. Basically you can buy a pair from them, go for a run/ race in then and return them if it doesn't work out. Storefront is in San Luis Obispo in CA and kicks ass if your ever near, but online has all the same return benifits

Haha you won't be disappointed, just transition slow ( don't go out and walk 10 miles in them). I think their website has a suggested transition chart too? Zero drop is amazing once you get use to it. Take a jog in your grass barefoot then put you shoes on, you'll notice you strike with your forefoot when barefoot but with shoes you tend to heel strike more, this is the cause of most running related injuries you see. Zero drop mimics your barefoot muscles.

Also in the future runningwarehouse has a fanfuckingtastic return policy for trying out shoes. I had a a pair of shoes I had for over a year that I only ran 15-20 miles in cause they didn't work out. When I tried donating them to them for their weekly runs they ended up doing a return for full price. Basically you can buy a pair from them, go for a run/ race in then and return them if it doesn't work out. Storefront is in San Luis Obispo in CA and kicks ass if your ever near, but online has all the same return benifits

Pretty sure they have a store front in San Diego as well (Kearny Mesa area, across from the REI).

I have been wearing Aslo for like 2 decades.. countless trail running shoes and hiking boots..... I have given them from Christmas and birthday gifts!

I did try some Arcteryx shoes and boots... I mean I love every piece of gear they make lol. But the shoes.... cool designs.. but the build quality is not there yet... had the sole start to separate from the shoes at about the year mark.. I usually get 2 x as long out of a set of Aslo .. and have never has a sole come lose on any shoe..... I sent them in to see if they would fix them.. they said " they had reached there lifespan... " the boots fit a little bigger than aslo.. and have started to come apart in under a year..

Thinking of trying some Soloman quest 4 D next...

Reactions: plong and Rutter
Check out Keen they have hiking boots and work boots really comfortable with great warranty. A co worker of mine pulled the eyelet out of a boot and they gave him a gift card with $175 after a couple emails and pics... I was impressed. I wear Red Wing boots for everything cause they're fairly cheap around 160 and really comfortable.

Just back from backpacking for a couple days in Big Bend and Davis Mtns. Lotta love for both Lowa and Salomon. Lowa high boot with 45-50 pack, any of the other three for lighter loads, but still rough/rocky terrain. Green Salomon are Goretex, black lighter and more breathable. All a bit slippery on wet, slick rock, but lug pattern can make a difference. Couple of pics fm BB, gratis.B9772626-7722-4EA5-B01D-A84732CCF646.jpeg0B704DA7-96CA-4B14-A4B0-891B61DA15D6.jpeg1B5F19A6-7448-446F-BA0A-D06E1E261C3B.jpegE51F1610-A2C2-494F-8E44-54CF80D3C055.jpeg489B8F29-EFCD-4BCE-8422-508BE180C18B.jpeg

Reactions: MarinePMI
nothing like the feeling of mud between your toes ( god please let that be mud )

I tend to just wear cross training type shoes, but for boots the Danner Melee is my favorite. Light and flexible.

Used my new LALOs first time today for PT.

The foot is kind of "structured".

Its not a "soft" athletic shoe design Im used to. Most shoes today are going to similar "fabric" which is actually some recylcled plastic bottles or something.

Soles seem to be that "foam" stuff that is squirted into a form and hardens. I was noting compression marks on the sides of the sole body after the work out. Will have to see how long they last.

Toe box is big and looks big, has kind of the Keene look to the toe section.

Fit is comfortable, felt great doing some exercises prior to cardio.

When running they will take some getting used to.

It felt like the tread mill took on a camber toward the middle of the belt. I felt my feet were being forced high on the outside low on the inside. My knees made a little complaint indicating that they recognized something was "different".

Id say most of that difference was I wasnt wearing running shoes that are 5 or so years old with 8-10 miles per week on them.

I think they will work.

I bought the ugly colored ones they have on sale

I think they look better in the picture than in real life.

Looks dont matter though. Im going to put them through the paces and see how they do.

These have been good for me and they are super cheap. Maelstrom boots off of Amazon.

Attachments

• 15615737517664610128505241359450.jpg
    15615737517664610128505241359450.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 26
I've been working out in the Altama OTB shoes. I don't think I'll be wearing them to a rifle match any time soon though.

Salomon XA Pro 3D trail runners for daily wear, working out, etc

Salomon XA Forces Sua Sponte Mark II for outdoor superfluous shenanigans.

I've been wearing the new Altras for a week - Holy crap, where have these been all my life? Most comfortable pair of shoes out of the box I've ever worn. Still getting used to the zero rise and big toe box. Feels like wearing flip-flops or walking barefoot.

I did pick up a pair of Solomon quest 4d over the weekend... i will say they are the best day 1 boot I have ever had... barely any break in required. But we will see if they hold up like asolo has ..