• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shold I get a custom BDC knob on my 1.8-10

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I just had a 1.8-10x37 USO SN3 TPal started. I ordered it with a mil scale GAP illuminated RED, with EREK. I am wondering if I should instead have a custom BDC installed. Assuming I can develop a good load for my 20" LaRue 5.56 rifle it is going atop.

Can USO make the reticule accurate enough, assuming I give them the velocity of the load, to have me dead on from 50 yds to 650 yards by just using the ret?

Then I would never have to even use the EREK. I have never had a BDC so I dont know. Just wondering if I could have a much simpler optic, as opposed to dialing elevation. The only drawback I can see is it would limit the use of the optic to one rifle. But even then, I could zero it on something else and dial elevation right?

Re: Shold I get a custom BDC knob on my 1.8-10

Do the Horus rectile and your set and if your load changes you just recalculate it

The trouble with a custom BDC is that they lock you into a single load.

I prefer to do a Stock Table with drop and drift dope. That way, I can have 2 or 3 of them on the stock for use with different loads, for different applications.

Even if you only use the one load, hefty changes in altitiude and temperature can raise hobb with your POI; but if I know I'm heading somewhere with drastically different conditions, all I need to do is recompute and print new tables.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I would be better just going with standard gap mil ret. dialing is half the fun anyway LOL </div></div>

Agreed, too many variables unless you strictly shoot in one place, other then that it just won't make sense.

USO's BDC option isn't a BDC reticle, its a turret knob marked with your yardages......

I had them make me one for my SN3 and took it off after one match. I didn't like not knowing (or not having the time to figure out) exactly where between say 500 and 600 marks to dial or hold for 560 yards on an moa sized target. Quicker and easier for me to look at my dope sheet and dial.

I used to love BDC knobs. Then you realize that the BDC knob doesnt work when its 25 degrees out and it also doesnt work when its 100 degrees out. Gets you on paper, but its better to just have dope gathered for different conditions and loads.