• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooters World Precision Rifle

nagantguy

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2020
Maybe my search powers are weak I did t see this powder mentioned ,or not mentioned in detail other than it was a suitable substitute for Varget .
Has anyone used SW S062 powder - mostly for .308 and 5.56 but 8mm and 7/30 Waters as well ? As Varget has been unobtainable and I was able to score some of this powder and they have more in stock . Just wondering about y’all’s experience with it and exactly where you’ve gotten data .

I've been using it for my 6GT. I've gone through 8lbs of it and have 24lbs more on the shelf.

It's horrible shit, awful, stay away. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, for me, charge weight wise it's been basically grain for grain the same as Varget, except I started seeing pressure sooner (which I don't care about since I'm not looking for speed for the sake of speed).

I don't really do load development anymore and just pick a charge/speed. In 6GT I've tried 32gn, 33gn, and 34gn, which net was 2720fps, 2804fps, and 2900fps pushing a 112gn Match Burner. All three charges shot sub .5 moa at 100 yards and the largest SD number I've seen was a 6 (usually hovers between 2-4).

Same temperature insensitivity as Varget for me as well, whether 90 degrees or 60 degrees, basically the same speeds.

If I didn't already have enough to last a while I wouldn't be typing this and letting the cat out of the bag (and I might buy some more when I'm done anyway).

That said, if you're the type who's looking for maximum speeds, stick to Varget, the SWPR will hit pressure too soon for those guys.

Reactions: Ericwh3006
I use it in 6BR and .223 , very similar to Varget . Here is a link to PDF and interactive data .

Reactions: simonp
Thank you everyone; from what I’ve read on various forums it’s very close but haven’t spoken to or know anyone directly who’s used it .
And CK1.0 no I’m not a speed chaser ; and except for the .308 bolt gun I’m more looking for a standard duty loads . And on the low end of things for various old 8mm’s .

Reactions: CK1.0

And then on my second search I found this gem - guess my search powers are weak today

Thank you everyone; from what I’ve read on various forums it’s very close but haven’t spoken to or know anyone directly who’s used it .
And CK1.0 no I’m not a speed chaser ; and except for the .308 bolt gun I’m more looking for a standard duty loads . And on the low end of things for various old 8mm’s .

Yeah, from what I've seen, the 'ol "it's slow" is actually sort of true with the SWPR... if you can deal with that, otherwise, it's awesome. Low ES/SDs, temp stable, small groups, low drama.

The Shooters World load data has been much closer to IRL for me as compared to what I thought I'd get using Hodgdon's Varget recipes... if you look at their data side by side the SWPR is about a couple of grains less charge-to-charge as compared to Varget across the board, and from what I've seen, due to when I hit pressure with the SWPR vs Varget, that jives.

Reactions: nagantguy