• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors shooting 22 cal through a 5.56 can

Re: shooting 22 cal through a 5.56 can

5.56 is a 22 caliber, but I'm assuming you mean shooting a 22LR through a 223/5.56 can.

Works fine, except 22LR is dirty. Most guys don't want to gunk up their high dollar 223 cans with 22LR crap. Buy a 22LR can for that and they typically are able to be taken apart for cleaning.

All that being said, it takes a fair amount to gunk up a can with 22lr, if you're talking about a couple thousand rounds then probably no big deal. I'd just try to shoot some real 223/5.56 laods through it every 300-500 rounds which would help clear out some of the 22LR junk.

That is exactly what I was talking about, I had been in a gun shop where the guy at the counter said that I could buy the can for my AR15 and have my 10/22 threaded for the can, then run the same can on both. I had never head this before and figued I would see if anyone was doing this.

My 300 win mag can works quite well on the 22LR upper, 308, 6.5 Grendel, 300 mag, and everything else I put it on
smile.gif
Thank god its a Titanium Shark can, or it would be REALLY heavy

4108269824_60163db191.jpg

When i bought just one can (30 cal) I used it on everything i had 30cal and down including 22LR. You can clean your can. But you will get tired of switching one can from gun to gun all the time and rezeroing. Iv got 2 buddies that bought .338 cans and have their 10/22's threaded to use that can.

With a 308 can, diameter being so much larger the the 5.56 does it quite the report much on the 22lr or even the 5.56?

Yes they are still effective. Some more than others, but the answer is yes. .308 and 5.56 cans have a much larger volume than the standard .22lr can so that helps make up for the larger bore diameter.

Regards,
Nate

Now unless I am missing something.
I could buy a nice 30 cal can ( maybe one specifically for the 300 win mag) and use it on my 300 win mag, 308, 5.56, 223, and my 22LR?
and the thing will actually work pretty good?

So why dosn't everyone do this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azfyrmedic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why dosn't everyone do this?</div></div>

I didn't know that when I was a rookie or I would've saved a couple thousand......

By the time I found out I was already half way to 1 can per rifle so I figured WTH, why not suppress all my guns so the whole crew is quiet when the zombies come?!?!?!?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azfyrmedic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now unless I am missing something.
I could buy a nice 30 cal can ( maybe one specifically for the 300 win mag) and use it on my 300 win mag, 308, 5.56, 223, and my 22LR?

So why dosen't everyone do this? </div></div>

the biggest thing is, especially with the 22lr, it will have a higher first second and even third round pop. It will take a couple of shots to fill the can with gas. After that it'll work just as good.

I have two cans 30 cal and 55.6 and I run all my rifle using the two cans. 308, 300wsm, 22-250, 5.56, 22lr,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azfyrmedic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why dosn't everyone do this? </div></div>

Because a heavy rifle can jacks up the handling of a light .22lr pistol. Also lighter and quieter is better. A rimfire can can be made to be lighter and quieter than when a rifle can is pressed into service.

Last of all, some of us have several suppressed weapons and swapping hot cans is a pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azfyrmedic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now unless I am missing something.

So why dosn't everyone do this? </div></div>

Cuz a 30 cal can on a 22rf pistol looks goofy. And its heavy.

And as was said, you should only shoot 22 thru a take apart can.

I had not thought of the pistol, as far as a big can on a 22 pistol.
I guess I am more intrested in rifle supression.
Sounds like I should buy something and start learning through experience.
Thanks for the info Guys.