• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting 2500 yards 1.43 miles!!

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
Hi guys, a few days ago I took out the Savage 110 BA 338 Lapua and attempted the 2500 yard shot. So I placed the target at 2530 yards or 1.43 miles away, at that distance the bullet flight time is almost 4.5 seconds! Made a short video that I think you guys will enjoy. Thanks for watching!

2500 yard shot! Savage 110BA 338 Lapau

I went out early in the morning to beat the mirage, luckly there was very little wind around 3-4 mph coming from the left, I dialed 2.6 mils Left. I had to dialed the maximum elevation my scope (Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 MIL/MIL) had at 27.4 mils then held over 2.5 mils on the reticle to get me to 29.9 mils. The 300 gr Berger bullets with a MV of 2740 fps at 23.34 inHg start to go subsonic at 2400 yards, so I figured some weird stuff might happen.
My first shot was pretty even height wise but was way off to the right, the first 3 shots were sighters to get me on target and then on my 9th shot I hit the target, then had one more hit on my 12th shot. So total of 2 out of 12 shots at 2530 yards.
When I got to the target to my surprise was a sideways hit. My first thought was that it hit the ground and bounced up sideways, but after reviewing the video I can tell it was a direct hit because the bullet splash in the dirt is directed away from the steel and the impact energy on the steel was the same for both hits, I'm sure if it hit the ground first it would have lost most of it's energy. So now I ask has anyone ever seen a 300 gr berger bullet hit sideways??!! Probably due to the sonic wave passing the bullet at 2400 yards, very interesting. The next day I went out to find a couple missed shot bullets and after metal detecting for almost an hour ready to give up I found one!
This was my first time shooting past 2060 yards and 2 out of 12 isn't real great but satisfying, I bet with practice I could get those numbers looking a little better. I really hope you guys enjoy the video, please comment or ask any questions you may have.......and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Thanks for the video.

9 twist barrel?

Subsonic or transonic at 2400 yards? Video and post say different things.

What was your density altitude? To not have the bullet go subsonic until 2400 yards when pushing it to only 2740 must put you in some hot high country :).

Thanks for the video.

9 twist barrel?

Subsonic or transonic at 2400 yards? Video and post say different things.

What was your density altitude? To not have the bullet go subsonic until 2400 yards when pushing it to only 2740 must put you in some hot high country :).
Thanks!

Yes it's a 9 twist barrel

At 2400 yards is when it reaches the speed of sound, I'm guessing transonic flight is just before this

I'm over 7000 ft elevation and the Kestrel read 23.34 inHG

Last edited:
Thank you, very good information!

Do you have any more info on your load? I'm trying to decipher if there are other items at play here that would cause it to be unstable. What kind of groupings are you getting at distance? 600, 1000yds? What kind of velocity standard deviation or extreme spread do you have? The miss bullet in the video looks like it engaged the rifling crooked? How far off the lands are you?

Sorry for the questions, trying to decide on my next build and it partly depends on how the 300 berger takes the transonic/subsonic transition. I had heard it was good until now.

Thanks!

Yes it's a 9 twist barrel

At 2400 yards is when it reaches the speed of sound, I'm guessing transonic flight is just before this

I'm over 7000 ft elevation and the Kestrel read 23.34 inHG

Last edited:
Cool video. Man, 4.4 seconds seems like an eternity! :D

Thank you, very good information!

Do you have any more info on your load? I'm trying to decipher if there are other items at play here that would cause it to be unstable. What kind of groupings are you getting at distance? 600, 1000yds? What kind of velocity standard deviation or extreme spread do you have? The miss bullet in the video looks like it engaged the rifling crooked? How far off the lands are you?

Sorry for the questions, trying to decide on my next build and it partly depends on how the 300 berger takes the transonic/subsonic transition. I had heard it was good until now.

No problem! I load the 300gr bergers on top of 90gr H1000 and use federal 215 primers. The only groupings I have done were when load developing and I get consistent 1.6-1.8" groups at 300 yards. My ES was around 10 not sure the SD. The miss bullets look like that when they hit a rock or something hard after hitting the dirt, they always deform but never fragment at those distances. I set them .025 off the lands and modified my mag to fit the extended bullets. I'd honestly say if it went sideways and still hit the target past 2500 yards, that is one dam good bullet IMO. I'll be sticking with 300gr bergers.

Nice video. I've not had the chance to go past a mile. I've got the place just need to get another base,mines only 20 moa I'm out of elevation at 1800 yards. Maybe i'll get busy and rearrange my setup. Nice shooting. Not many people can say they've gotten hits at almost 1.5 miles. Looks like the savage is dialed in pretty tight. You can see the bullet trace almost the entire way.