• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns shooting 40sw in a 10 mm safe or spupid ?

acts238

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
N W Montana
Im in market for a new pistol -just undecided on caliber
Im considering a 40sw or a 45 so I went in to look at some
& the guy behind counter recommended a 10mm
he said he shoots 40's in his 10mm with no issues
I don't see how the shorter case can work because reloading data says its head spaced off the front rim of the case
so is shooting 40sw in a 10 mm safe or not ?

Last edited:
I'll occasionally shoot .40 in a 10mm T/C Contender barrel. The extractor holds the case just fine but then they're being hand fed, one at a time.

Will also shoot them in a S&W 610 using moon clips, no problems.

Not sure how well it would work feeding in a semi auto.

Those don't headspace off the rim, they aren't rimmed cartridges. The only thing that will hold the 40 against the striker is the extractor. They headspace off the case mouth so shooting anything but exactly what the barrel is chambered for is a very bad and stupid idea.

The guy at the gun store is a fucking idiot and is going to get somebody hurt or killed with his nonsense.

Those don't headspace off the rim, they aren't rimmed cartridges. The only thing that will hold the 40 against the striker is the extractor. They headspace off the case mouth so shooting anything but exactly what the barrel is chambered for is a very bad and stupid idea.

The guy at the gun store is a fucking idiot and is going to get somebody hurt or killed with his nonsense.

Yep. I've seen guys trying to shoot 45 gap in a 45 acp and 40 in the 10 and I've seen both have cases explode and split the top half of the chamber off and crack the slides and frames. Those were 1911s all steel. A plastic Glock could take off a finger if there was issues.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Depends on whether you are talking about a revolver or semi auto. It is ok for a revolver. The same as shooting .38 Special in a .357 magnum chamber. It is not ok for a semi auto, which headspaces on the case mouth.

Last edited:
I know (and have seen) several shooters that run 40SW from 10mm Glocks, and have for years. They say they do get an occasional misfire due to the extractor not "headspacing" the cartridge correctly. It feeds from the 10mm magazines flawlessly.

They've never had any pressure issues (that I've seen, or they've told me about).

ETA: You can purchase 40SW (and 357sig and 9x25D) conversion barrels for the 10mm Glocks which seems like a no-brainer to me.

Additionally, if the 40SW barrel is throated out long and you load the 40SW cartridges out to 10mm-like COAL, you can match or exceed 10mm ballistics.

Last edited:
You can replace a 10mm barrel with a 40 cal in the glock 20, a friend has one and it works fine using the 20 mag.

It's not a problem. I have the lone Wolf and shoot it all the time

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"New Gen 4 Glock 21 45 acp pistol. There is still visible grease in the pics. This complete slide will fit the frames of GEN 4 G21 and G20 10 mm. It will NOT fit the frames of the Gen 1-2-3 series of the before listed models." I am looking for comments regarding those of you who have purchased a complete pistol and later added a slide in a different caliber to reduce costs. Can you share your experiences and tell me if you had to do it over again would you or just buy a complete pistol. Thanks

I have seen people do this, but it is foolish. As other have said, the round is held in place by the extractor. It has to jump a huge way to get to the lands and grooves. I would think this is not optimal for your barrel's chamber and a lot of erosion could occur if the bullet "jumps" at odd angles due to crud in the extractor. Your semi-auto does not have a forcing cone like a revolver to handle this (and a revolver spaces on the rim).

Why risk an expensive gun or barrel like this?