• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Shooting a .223 at 600 yards

Re: Shooting a .223 at 600 yards

OK lemme check on that Monte - he has eye issues so I ASSUMED he shot a 223.........
-----------------
EDIT TO ADD - he shot a 308 not a 223. My bad. Still, for a non-F Classer.... stomped 'em!

The score I shot at the Fullbore match this past sunday was a 444-20X. I have done worse and I have done better. 438 - 15X I think is my lowest score and my highest score was in a Palma match at Perry, 449-30X. All shot at 8, 9 & 1K with the 223 and the 90's.
That online guide is with the "Sierra" 90, I am using the Berger bullet. I would never use the Sierra version, too much bearing surface on that bullet. Plus the Berger bullet has a way better BC! There are a few shooters whom are running 27.0 grains of 2000MR in their 223's with the Berger 90's. I would not start there, do an ladder test and find your upper end of pressure. Then go from there. I feel it likes to be like VV powders, it wants to operate on the upper end. I have no problems shooting it in my Barnard, as for my Remington, well that may be different, but I would gather it may show pressure at about the same place. Just make sure the throat is done right. My lenght on the round is 2.033 measured from the base to ogive. And I soft seat the bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK lemme check on that Monte - he has eye issues so I ASSUMED he shot a 223.........
-----------------
EDIT TO ADD - he shot a 308 not a 223. My bad. Still, for a non-F Classer.... stomped 'em! </div></div>

Oh, I'm sorry. Some one who lives local to a range and shoots there regularly - sling or otherwise - and has a good read on the conditions and which flags mean something and which ones don't, shoots well and that constitutes 'stomping' the F-Class shooters.

Leo, you're in danger of starting to sound like SS...

Nothing against Lige; I was happy to meet him finally after bumping into him for years on l-r.com. Got squadded with him on the last day of FCNC, which is why I was pretty sure he was running a .308 - either that or those were the fattest .223 rounds I'd ever seen
wink.gif

I have won Plenty of 600 yard F-Class matches with a 223. Just work your load and pay attension to the wind.

You will have nothng over a 308 but the win is sooooo much sweeter..