• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting a gas gun in cold temperatures

Fluid Mechanic

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Kiawah Island SC
I am having trouble with cycling in temperatures between 20 and 36 Deg.
I had trouble at the range so I cleaned and used Lucas gun oil (red). The gun has over 500 rounds through it. I am wondering if a thinner oil may allow it to cycle? An y suggestions are appreciated.

I shoot mine down to single digits without issue. I use MPRO7 for years without issue and been testing ALG's Go Juice for the past few months with excellent results. Doesnt sound like a lube issue... Sounds like a possible gas issue.

Lucas Red, and Extreme are good to -38F. Red is the odorless hunting and is meant to be very thinly applied. The Extreme is for Semis.

Pressures can drop in the cold and if you "tuned" the system to be on the edge, a T drop will result in issues.

no chance you have gotten oil in the chamber is there? I use a super thin layer of whatever oil I have or Remington dry lube. Seems to work ok. it when it gets really cold I just stay home.

Fireclean oil works well also, I used it on a LMT MWS at -20°f with no problems.

Thanks guys, I will pull the gas block and tube and make sure everything is open. I have my first match coming up in February, Im a little anxious. My son will be the primary shooter with a bolt gun. I just want to make sure my equipment runs well.

is the gas block adjustable? if so open it up.
Are you shooting with a suppressor?

If none of that helps you might need to turn in the gun and open up the gas port a touch.

The gas block is 2 position, suppressed and unsurpressed. I shot it with an Omega for awhile, but it was just too dirty. I removed the gas block and tube, cleaned it with solvent and it is cycling now. I think I will leave it outside this evening and make sure when we get below 20 degrees.
Thank for the ideas.

Strangely I've had the best luck with synthetic motor oil, it's gets down to the single digits here and Mobil 1 runs great. Stable viscosity, it doesn't congeal like some gun oils

Last edited:
Strangely I've had the best luck with synthetic motor oil, it's gets down to the single digits here and Mobil 1 runs great. Stable viscosity, it doesn't congeal like some gun oils

Same here. Works great all year.

I third that advice. I have been using Mobil 1 for over 20 years in firearms and even in the action of an over under shotgun which I haven't cleaned in that 20 years it still has not oxidized or congealed. I now use 5w-30 cut with mineral spirits 1:3. I drench the parts in the solution let them drain and reassemble. The mineral spirits evaporate in a few minutes and leaves a thin film of oil. It works great in my three ARs and several bolt guns. Very economical also but that is not the primary reason I use it.

Some powders are quite temperature sensitive. Low temps means less gas to run the system.

I shot one one of my JPs in a match last weekend. Temps in the teens and 20's. It short stroked a couple of times, and I attributed it to the fact I had the adjustable gas block set to just lock back on an empty mag at room temperature.

is the gas block adjustable? if so open it up.
Are you shooting with a suppressor?

If none of that helps you might need to turn in the gun and open up the gas port a touch.

Tune the gas block was my first thought as well ... and if gas block not tuneable ... procure AGB, then proceed to Tune the gas block.

I'm running 5 different stoners down to -13F so far this winter and no issues ... two of them with 18 inch barrels with mid-length gas blocks ... but I tuned the gas blocks !! All suppressed.

I do use silicon based CLP, but not in any special way.