• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting and theft at GA gun range

I read it was a 19yo kid and his grandparents. Kid was there visiting on college break. All 3 were killled and the kids dad found the body’s b/c no one came home that night. Shame but that’s the country we live in these days

i can see this happening more than it does. the public ranges here in no.cent. FL. are considered potentially dangerous here by many. i agree and no one i know will use any of them without taking 1-3 guys along. smash and grab thefts have occurred. i shot on 2 of them alone many years with no problems but won't anymore. i use a private range that generates no worries about rip offs when i am down at the 200 yd line. wide open ranges are just too problematic in today's world.

Last edited:
Up here in Idaho we don't have this problem. Shoot in the NF and if someone is brave enough to try stealing things while you are changing targets, well....

Reactions: Howland
Horrible news prayers for the families.

i can see this happening more than it does. the public ranges here in no.cent. FL. are considered potentially dangerous here by many. i agree and no one i know will use any of them without taking 1-3 guys along. smash and grab thefts have occurred. i shot on 2 of them alone many years with no problems but won't anymore. i use a private range that generates no worries about rip offs when i am down at the 200 yd line. wide open ranges are just too problematic in today's world.
Public ranges sucked before covid.

After covid they got downright scary.

Mixed bag of Alec Baldwins, Eazy-Es and Elmer Fudds.

Public ranges are for poors and savages.

I read it was a 19yo kid and his grandparents. Kid was there visiting on college break. All 3 were killled and the kids dad found the body’s b/c no one came home that night. Shame but that’s the country we live in these days
Link shows that the surveilance camera DVR was stolen. For a business such as that, they should have had back after backup, inc. hidden game cameras.

I belong to a private range in the middle of nowhere and I'm usually alone (meaning no one else on the range). I keep my carry piece loaded on the bench and it goes where I go. Yeah, it's fenced and gated, but they keeps only the honest people honest.

I belong to a private range in the middle of nowhere and I'm usually alone (meaning no one else on the range). I keep my carry piece loaded on the bench and it goes where I go. Yeah, it's fenced and gated, but they keeps only the honest people honest.
That's a good idea. I never spared a thought about delinquents coming after my firearms when I'm by myself in the same scenario.

I'll keep a loaded piece next time.

That's a good idea. I never spared a thought about delinquents coming after my firearms when I'm by myself in the same scenario.

I'll keep a loaded piece next time.
Ever since the background story of how these guys gathered their weapons changed my friends and my behavior when out shooting:

Always have a loaded gun on you and always save a full magazine or more for the trip home.

We have two public ranges in the FMNF one was recently redone and now has a RO who runs it pretty tight the other one is still like the wild west. I don't really go to either anymore since I have access to a 500yd private range, but even on the private range that is behind a gate and about 300yds from a very lightly traveled public dirt road I am still hesitant to leave my rifle sitting on the bench while I go and repaint targets and such.

Yeah, my private rifle club has signs posted all over that carrying a loaded gun, open or concealed, is against club rules and if caught you can have your membership suspended or terminated. This is an NRA only club. Can't believe it.

VooDoo

• Wow
Reactions: gambleone
In this day and age. it makes me very uncomfortable (for the reasons mentioned in this thread) to walk downrange and set/change targets leaving my ammunition and rifle set on a bench or the ground 200 yards away and not have my carry pistol. If someone was watching/waiting from the Clubhouse/Indoor Range and watched me walk away they could literally drive down, grab my shit and leave (or shoot me with my own gun) and I have not even a fighting chance. Unless I break the rules and risk suspension.

Leaving the house or being anywhere and being disarmed is a very uncomfortable feeling for me - to be unarmed at an NRA Member Only private rifle club is just baffling to me but if I want to participate in precision shooting this is my only option without driving hours one way. Or shooting at a public range which I will not do.

VooDoo

which is also easy, as i always carry when down range is to remove your bolt and put it in your pocket when down range or carry your ar with you if allowed. extra guns leave in locked veh until shooting. this is a pain in the ass as is always shooting with a friend but in this day and age you always need to be thinking and aware of whats going on around you.

In this day and age. it makes me very uncomfortable (for the reasons mentioned in this thread) to walk downrange and set/change targets leaving my ammunition and rifle set on a bench or the ground 200 yards away and not have my carry pistol. If someone was watching/waiting from the Clubhouse/Indoor Range and watched me walk away they could literally drive down, grab my shit and leave (or shoot me with my own gun) and I have not even a fighting chance. Unless I break the rules and risk suspension.

Leaving the house or being anywhere and being disarmed is a very uncomfortable feeling for me - to be unarmed at an NRA Member Only private rifle club is just baffling to me but if I want to participate in precision shooting this is my only option without driving hours one way. Or shooting at a public range which I will not do.

VooDoo

Feel yä. I was on the board of a club that had similar rules, but it was on a military installation so loaded/uncased firearms off the line was a federal crime. In almost 40 years I'm unaware of any incidents, but membership was restricted.

In your situation I would say concealed means concealed.

That is incredibly sad news, prayers for the family and friends of those involved.

We gave up on public ranges years ago after a ton of unsafe incidents here in the sticks. We pooled our money and built our own on private land. You're also a minimum of 45min to an hour from medical care at the public ranges around here.

Same here as far as private range. However, If shooting a rifle I always carry my bolt when checking/changing targets and always have my carry weapon.

Reactions: 1500varmint
I shoot at a private range. Luckily they are cool to me and let me bring out some different stuff but I also weld up all their steel for them (built them a dueling tree and two plate rack among a bunch of other stuff). a few weeks ago I brought this out for live firing. Lots of fun.
20220319_155817.jpg

Yeah, my private rifle club has signs posted all over that carrying a loaded gun, open or concealed, is against club rules and if caught you can have your membership suspended or terminated. This is an NRA only club. Can't believe it.

VooDoo
Yeah, most do. And fuck 'em.

I don't put my life in the hands of some drivel written up by some asshole whose ass isn't on the line. If I carry in public, you can bet your sweet ass I carry ANYWHERE firearms are out in the open!

And if I can be trusted to carry open or concealed in a damn grocery store, then why can't I be trusted to carry on a FIRING RANGE? Just because the rest of the country abandoned common sense doesn't mean I have to.

Yeah, most do. And fuck 'em.

I don't put my life in the hands of some drivel written up by some asshole whose ass isn't on the line. If I carry in public, you can bet your sweet ass I carry ANYWHERE firearms are out in the open!

And if I can be trusted to carry open or concealed in a damn grocery store, then why can't I be trusted to carry on a FIRING RANGE? Just because the rest of the country abandoned common sense doesn't mean I have to.
It's extremely confusing when you see a sign entering a gun shop that says No CCW.

I went into a gun store years ago. The owner straight up asked me if I was CCWing. I said yes and he asked to to go take it to my car and leave it. Um what???

• Wow
Reactions: Steel+Killer
Just to be perfectly clear, when I said private range, I meant we built our own, we didn't join an existing private range. And there are only two of us, myself, and my buddy who's a fellow hide member. We rarely allow any guests, and then it's usually family or close friends. And both of us are carrying sidearms as well.

View attachment 7848443This is my range setup. On a close friend’s property. It’s only for family and close friends with us there. We can get out to 500 yards.
I'm in the middle of drawing up something similar. What are the dimensions on the shooting space and do you find the enclosed cabin useful?

I imagine the cabin is only used to store shooting accessories like that folding bench but I would appreciate your insight into other potential uses.

I'm designing mine with a bit more sound insulation so it would be partially walled on three sides.

I'm in the middle of drawing up something similar. What are the dimensions on the shooting space and do you find the enclosed cabin useful?

I imagine the cabin is only used to store shooting accessories like that folding bench but I would appreciate your insight into other potential uses.

I'm designing mine with a bit more sound insulation so it would be partially walled on three sides.
The “Closet” is for storing targets, cleaning supplies and anything else that we don’t want to have to bring each trip.
What's in the field? Looks like a good place to get up bird or two.
He has a hunting preserve,” Don’s Hunting Adventures”. They have quail, pheasant and chukars.

The local club ranges I belong to here in PA allow carry, but you have to keep it holstered unless you are at the firing line. I went to one public range...once. That was enough to know I never wanted to do it again LOL.
I have 4 ranges within earshot of my house, and I live in town. Also someone down past the end of my block that apparently has enough land to shoot on his own property. Whenever there's some new gun law proposed, the ranges get a little busier LOL.

They should be able to determine the serial numbers of the stolen guns. Eventually some of these may be picked up, and hopefully traced back to the killers. However if the perps were MS-13, the guns are probably all in Mexico and likely no one will be arrested.

A suspect was arrested last night.

I won't even bother linking to the article because all it does is name him then blab on with information already known. No info at all about how they identified him.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
It's fairy clear that some of this comes from dimwits who just can't stop themselves from pulling out their CCW to show everyone.
I have a niece like that. Showed it to everyone on Fakebook. But in this instance, it wasn’t so fake. When I tried to warn her that what she was doing was not particularly intelligent. (The girl is a medical professional no less!) She refused to have contact with me including over the internet and informed both myself and my Brenda (Her biological Aunt) that we were no longer related to her.

Fine with me, I don’t care what your degree is or what your profession is, stupid is stupid and you can’t fix stupid.

Last edited:
A suspect was arrested last night.

I won't even bother linking to the article because all it does is name him then blab on with information already known. No info at all about how they identified him.
I saw that also, he was probably the first lucky SOB to get caught with one of the hot serial numbers. Now they are squeezing the little prick for everything he's worth using a triple murder charge as leverage. If he actually participated, hope he roasts in hell.

It's extremely confusing when you see a sign entering a gun shop that says No CCW.

I went into a gun store years ago. The owner straight up asked me if I was CCWing. I said yes and he asked to to go take it to my car and leave it. Um what???

Not confusing at all considering there's CCers out there that are just as autistic as OCers when it comes to showing off their guns in public. Just randomly pulling out your CCW inside a gun shop, especially one that's been robbed in the past is a sure way to get yourself shot!

I understand the rule of not being able to pull it out, but I think gun stores especially the ones that teach CWP classes and then have “No CWs allowed” are very hypocritical and gives anti gunners an argument that “hey look even the place that teaches CWP classes don’t trust people with a CW”

What kind of message does that send?

Reactions: gigamortis
The entire point of Concealed carry is “Concealed!”

Folks need to realize that when you show your firearm, #1, you are the first targeted, #2 other’s knowing a person is carrying, means they may force/goad the CCW person to use his/her firearm when common sense would dictate otherwise, #3. When you show your conceal and advertise you conceal, guess what, its no longer concealed.

So, if a person is properly carrying his “Concealed“ weapon, the point is, no one is supposed to know one is carrying a firearm. How hard is this for the average person with an IQ of at least say 85 to understand this?

Reactions: gigamortis
And here's the person charged with malice murder x 3
330A06EE-4060-4734-B54A-667EC690B348_4_5005_c.jpeg

Officials said Jacob Christian Muse, 21, of College Park, Georgia, had been arrested and charged with three counts of malice murder in connection with the April 8th killings of three members of the Hawk family at the Lock Stock and Barrel Shooting Range. Tommy Richard Hawk Sr., Evelyn Hawk, both 75, and their grandson, Alexander Luke Hawk, 17, were found shot to death inside of the family business

Yeah, I saw the POS picture today. The abandoned vacant youth of today. Only gonna get worse. Makes me wonder if the losers parents are around to be dealt with. I swear I read the dad of the kid killed is also the county coroner.

We had something similar here in PA. They caught the cocksucker who did it.
When I go to any range, public or private, I set up targets and firing point before I get any firearms or ammo out of the car. I put firearm(s) and ammo back in car before pulling targets. I always carry concealed at the range. Club policy or not, though none of the clubs around here have that policy. My life's worth more to me than a $100 club membership.