• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship shooting at a 45 degree cant

comanche9

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2006
Tennessee
Can someone give me a little insight to shooting at a 45 degree cant? Is there a quick and easy formula you can do in your head to compensate for the cant while using the reticle in the scope? Had a guy trying to explain it to me once but I didn’t pay attention and it has came back to bit me in the read as now i wish i would have listened.

Re: shooting at a 45 degree cant

You have to aim high, and away from the scope, so if you cant the scope to the left, you have to aim above the right shoulder

So if I canted the rifle to the left and aimed center mass my POI would be low left? Reason I am asking is I'm going to shoot it this weekend and get some solid dope at different ranged and just wanted a good starting point befor I go out and waste to many rounds getting everything figured out.

You can put the angle into JBM and it will give you the elevation and windage adjustments. I haven't done it for 45 degrees, but I have used it for 90 degrees.

Or better still . . . one shot at 100y or 100m.

Set up your target and do so. Then extrapolate.

Correct. It'll be going left, and the more you cant, the more elevation dialed in your sights will be negated.

Sled,

Thanks for the heads up with JBM, that's going to do the trick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Comanche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone give me a little insight to shooting at a 45 degree cant? Is there a quick and easy formula you can do in your head to compensate for the cant while using the reticle in the scope? Had a guy trying to explain it to me once but I didn’t pay attention and it has came back to bit me in the read as now i wish i would have listened. </div></div>Not trying to sound like a smart ass, but why would you tilt the weapon to shoot it?
confused.gif

A barricade can force some pretty unique shooter/rifle positions. Some matches have a 90 degree cant stage, also. Good info to have in case you need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longguntoter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Comanche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone give me a little insight to shooting at a 45 degree cant? Is there a quick and easy formula you can do in your head to compensate for the cant while using the reticle in the scope? Had a guy trying to explain it to me once but I didn’t pay attention and it has came back to bit me in the read as now i wish i would have listened. </div></div>Not trying to sound like a smart ass, but why would you tilt the weapon to shoot it?
confused.gif
</div></div>

It's not a choice, but a technique to react to situations where that is all that is available. When by mechanical or other interference, you cannot orient it straight up for the shot. Picture a horizontal gap or slot that you wish to fire through.

The JBM will give you firing solutions for it that are accurate. Just make sure you set the wind to ZERO. Otherwise it will build in whatever mph of wind you set.

You are removing the height over bore (the bullet drops) and adding it to one side or the other (horizontal shift). Remember it this way: "If I roll left, they FALL left."

If you cant it 90 deg left (bolt up) you will be dialing elevation knob DOWN to get windage on, and knob RIGHT to increase elevation. This is one argument to leave some wiggle room beneath your zero if you have a zero stop. You could also hold the horizontal offset of course.

Sled is right as far as competitions go. This is a skill you will see tested on a semi regular basis.

HTH,

--Fargo007