• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shooting at high and low angles: when do you factor it in?

Texas T

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2021
Abilene, TX
To those with a lot of experience with shooting at high and low angles, at what angle off horizontal do you need to factor the angle into the elevation? Do you have a rule of thumb? My vectronix rangefinder will tell me the horizontal projected distance to target but I don't use it, just absolute line of sight distance. Does the Kestrel elite read this in from the vectronix?

In general 15 degrees or more or a very long range, under that are talking 1-2 clicks difference.
Assuming you mean the Terrapin X it can send distance, slope angle and azimuth to the Kestrel.

Reactions: Texas T
To those with a lot of experience with shooting at high and low angles, at what angle off horizontal do you need to factor the angle into the elevation? Do you have a rule of thumb? My vectronix rangefinder will tell me the horizontal projected distance to target but I don't use it, just absolute line of sight distance. Does the Kestrel elite read this in from the vectronix?

The best way to answer your question is to generate a table with the difference in elevation correction for every hundred yards in five degree increments for your own load.

Then you'll see about how far, for a given inclination, does the difference in POI becomes too great for the targets you normally shoot.

Yeah it's not the easiest way, but it will give you the best understanding for your own rifle/load combination instead of someone else's or a generic answer.

Do you have to squint to see where youre shooting? And would you tumble down it if you happened to trip on the way there?

You'd be surprised how much angle you need to effect dope. Of course distance will also play a factor. But in general, it's not something you really need to be concerned with unless you're shooting at a mountain goat on a cliff above or below you.

On a couple rifles I have a cosine indicator that gives me the value I use to determine "actual" distance.

When shooting at angles, you don't account for elevation. Gravity is a constant 9.8m/s^2 (9.8 meters per second per second) and does not change.

Picture a R triangle. The bottom of the triangle represents distance to the target, the top is you firing down an angle. Normally you'd fire straight along the hypotenuse if elevation and distance were equal. That's what you are used to.

Now we can get into all the trig OR you can just get those cosine values, make a table like has been suggested, then estimate the angle or even measure it, OR get a cosine indicator --a little wheel with numbers that rotates, attaches to rail or ring caps (I like Badger's shit personally). It changes based on angle. Once you have the cosine value, all you do is multiply it by the hypotenuse (the long side of the triangle) to get the lesser horizontal distance to the target.

Conversely, if you shoot straight down, then the trajectory is absolutely flat with no change at all.

Did that makes sense?

Having shot a lot in mountains in Korea, Washington, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado you kinda-sorta become intuitive knowing when (and how much) to massage your angle compensation data. It surprised me how much density altitude velocity change there is between sea-level (San Joaquin Valley, California, and Yuma, Arizona in January-February), 4500 feet, and 10,000 feet.

The best way to answer your question is to generate a table with the difference in elevation correction for every hundred yards in five degree increments for your own load.

Then you'll see about how far, for a given inclination, does the difference in POI becomes too great for the targets you normally shoot.

Yeah it's not the easiest way, but it will give you the best understanding for your own rifle/load combination instead of someone else's or a generic answer.
That's a good idea. I seem to get a lot of insight when I look at those ballistic tables.

You'd be surprised how much angle you need to effect dope. Of course distance will also play a factor. But in general, it's not something you really need to be concerned with unless you're shooting at a mountain goat on a cliff above or below you.
I want to be able to shoot anywhere from 200 to 1400 yards off tripod at all angles high and low and do it quick, so I'm looking for that feel of, say, I'm shooting down 7 degrees at 600 yards, what error am I playing with to ignore that angle. I think 308pirate nailed it, I need to study charts to get the feel I'm looking for.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
On a couple rifles I have a cosine indicator that gives me the value I use to determine "actual" distance.

When shooting at angles, you don't account for elevation. Gravity is a constant 9.8m/s^2 (9.8 meters per second per second) and does not change.

Picture a R triangle. The bottom of the triangle represents distance to the target, the top is you firing down an angle. Normally you'd fire straight along the hypotenuse if elevation and distance were equal. That's what you are used to.

Now we can get into all the trig OR you can just get those cosine values, make a table like has been suggested, then estimate the angle or even measure it, OR get a cosine indicator --a little wheel with numbers that rotates, attaches to rail or ring caps (I like Badger's shit personally). It changes based on angle. Once you have the cosine value, all you do is multiply it by the hypotenuse (the long side of the triangle) to get the lesser horizontal distance to the target.

Conversely, if you shoot straight down, then the trajectory is absolutely flat with no change at all.

Did that makes sense?
Makes sense, thanks. The way I remember it from my archery days is you want the horizontally projected distance only and pretend that's the actual line of sight distance to target. If my understanding is right, then you could shoot a tall building, each floor, without ever changing holdover or elevation, it will be the same for all floors because the horizontal projection doesn't change.

Having shot a lot in mountains in Korea, Washington, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado you kinda-sorta become intuitive knowing when (and how much) to massage your angle compensation data. It surprised me how much density altitude velocity change there is between sea-level (San Joaquin Valley, California, and Yuma, Arizona in January-February), 4500 feet, and 10,000 feet.
Been meaning to investigate density-altitude. I've been assuming they mean air density, which is affected of course by altitude, temperature, and I guess humidity. I remember from college that air molecules are approximately 10 atomic diameters apart on average. Meaning, if a molecule is the size of a tennis ball then the next molecule is about ten tennis balls away. The atmosphere is 99 percent just two atoms that have the same diameter, nitrogen and oxygen. But I don't get how humidity variation will play into this. Since water is just one oxygen with two superlight hydrogens it doesn't make sense that humidity should make a nontrivial difference since the oxygen molecules are diatomic, two stuck together, 02, which is much heavier than a water molecule.

I’m not sure how accurate it is but the Hornady app allows you to lay your phone on your barrel and it will adjust to the angle. I’ve only used it to 680yards but it was accurate for 4 different rifles. It might give you a quick rough idea of the difference

I want to be able to shoot anywhere from 200 to 1400 yards off tripod at all angles high and low and do it quick, so I'm looking for that feel of, say, I'm shooting down 7 degrees at 600 yards, what error am I playing with to ignore that angle. I think 308pirate nailed it, I need to study charts to get the feel I'm looking for.
IIRC >600M distance with >10• vertical gain is the place to start paying attention.

When shooting at angles, you don't account for elevation.

When you say you don't account for elevation, do you mean you don't account for altitude or do you mean you don't account for bullet drop for the distance you're shooting at?