• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition shooting at steel

XHODZAX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
minnesota
not sure if in right forum but i have some ar400 plates i want to shoot at.
now how far away would you recomend to be to shoot with .223 .308 .338 ?
i have never done this before so not looking to get hurt.

Re: shooting at steel

My recommendations:

.223 - 250Y or more

.308 - Same

.338 - 600Y or more

You're not going to get hurt, but move that steel too close and you will punch holes through it.

--Fargo007

I've shot some AR400. At 500yd my 30-06 would heavily dent/blemish it with 208 Amax's. The 6.5-06 would stomp right through.

At 800yd the 65-06 was still leaving sizable dents.

WOW i would have never guesed that
well i will shoot at my within a week
will post pictures btw my steel is 1/2 "

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BDD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not sure if you could punch a hole into it
it's pretty hard
</div></div>

You could find out..... the hard way!
grin.gif

The fact that it's 1/2" gives some wiggle room. Also, how you mount it has a lot to do with where the energy gets dispersed.

e.g.

Mount it rigidly and the steel takes all the force on its surface. Mount it swinging, or loosely so that it moves considerably when hit, and it has a chance to dissipate a lot of that energy.

--Fargo007

I have a couple pieces of AR400, I shot it at 600 yards and the 308 barley hurt it. The 300 wm and the 300 rum put some dents in it. Nothing to terribly bad, but there. It was free to try and it will hold up for quiet some time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot some AR400. At 500yd my 30-06 would heavily dent/blemish it with 208 Amax's. The 6.5-06 would stomp right through.

At 800yd the 65-06 was still leaving sizable dents. </div></div>

Please no arguments.
Are you guys sure your getting or shooting ar400 steel?
At 500 yards not too many guns guns will even pock 3/8" ar400.
I've shot my .338 spipetac at 1/2" stuff at 800 and it never left a scratch.
The targets are mounted rigid at say an 80deg cant downward, which helps bullet deflection. In our circle the thought is 400 yards and beyond there is no need for 500 plate.
T-1 steel will actually take a good pounding at 1000 yards.
Like I said, not trying to stir the pot, just curious.

Heck maybe the dummies we're buying our steel from are giving us ar500, but I doubt it. They're pretty proud of that stuff around here.
Milo