• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Both Eyes Open with optics..Do You?

I’ve been shooting everything w/ both eyes open for probably at least 15+ years. I couldn’t give up the situational awareness & peripheral vision gained by shooting w/ both eyes open.

As far as corrective lenses go, I normally wear “athletic glasses” or contacts to the range. In January I tried progressive lenses & they were a disaster for me. The very first day I wore my new glasses to the range I looked down the pistol’s sights & saw the front sight completely to the left of the rear sight. After a few hours getting used to my new glasses I shot a qual. I was shooting turning targets & didn’t have time to adapt; I closed my left eye throughout the qual because I still couldn’t line the sights up w/ out the pistol pointing abnormally to the left. I still shot a good qual, but it didn’t feel right shooting w/ one eye open.

I exchanged the progressive lenses for regular lenses shortly thereafter & I used contacts in the meantime.

Attachments

• E6552B30-E2FC-4EF6-92F5-90D7497F71AB.jpeg
    E6552B30-E2FC-4EF6-92F5-90D7497F71AB.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Yes, for some reason it's never been a problem for me. Comes naturally. But then I'm VERY right-eye dominant.

I will temporarily close the left eye if I'm zoomed in to 26x and the eyebox is giving me issues.

Both eyes open for me. For whatever reason helps me to stay relaxed behind the rifle.

Yes, always with a scoped rifle. A bit harder with open sights on a pistol, but still doable.
Your pupils contract and dilate as a pair, equally. When you close one eye both pupils dilate. When your pupils are dilated your vision acuity is lessened. So closing one eye causes your open eye to not see as well.

I have tried both open, but it really messed with me. Couldn’t zone out the left eye (right eye dominant). I have a -10.5 prescription and wear regular glasses, but I don’t think that’s a factor.

I tried one of those glasses clip-on blinders, a cheap version of what Olympic shooters wear. I chose a milky white one. Still bugged me.

569CF20F-01A2-423C-81D3-9E03F72A44B4.jpeg