• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Compitition in New Jersey or around the area

falluchi624

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
South Jersey
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to get into the precision tactical rifle shooting. Does anyone know of any matches in NJ, Pa, DE, or NY? Willing to drive I have to, but cant go out to Texas, Arizona or places like that. Any information would be helpful. I know we have f-class and Palma matches, but that stuff seems kind of boring. The Tactical precision stuff seems pretty fun.

Gap, PA

Mifflin, PA

Reade, PA

are your best bets - you can find info on them here in this section.

F class boring? You mean you don't like laying in the same spot, shooting at the same target, at the same range, over and over and over and over and over .........

Black Hat Training Corps does a ton of stuff in PA. They have a match a month or more so it seems. Check out there next one here:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/showthread.php?t=175575

Freddy, guy running BHTC, welcomes new shooters, as long as they are safe. He gets a great group of guys at these matches too.

Best of luck

That's awesome. Yea, I was looking into fclass and was very disappointed. I have a lot to learn about the tactical prediction, petitioning never even been to a match. Will have to find a shooting partner I guess. Thanks for the info guys. I have a remington 700 heavy fluted barrel. Timney trigger, 6-9" bills. With a Nikon 6-18 power scope. .308. Will this be competitive? Or should I upgrade? Always looking for an excuse to buy a new toy lol.

Falluchi -

FYI you can edit your own posts if there are mistakes. I do it all the time! ;-)

That rig should be fine but I would recommend you ditch the 6-9" bipod and get the 9-13" one.

I also tried F-Class and it is not for me. It was the exact same shot, 66 times in a row. This sport by comparison, and even by definition is more about solving problems, and that introduces limitless variety of target presentations, shooting positions, and obstacles to negotiate. There is just nothing else like it, and once you get into it you get hooked BiG time.

The sort of Asperger/OCD type person that likes things the same every time would consider this sport the worst thing in the world. It's the opposite of predictable.

--Fargo007

Thank, did not know you could edit your own posts lol.
My rifle does not have a detachable mag, will this be a problem? Also will a 6-18 be enough power for the 1000 yard targets?

Thanks for the info

Awesome! Thank you. Would it be possible to come out and watch that match without shooting? I think sublime to see how the matches run before I shoot one.

If you come you should shoot it. Trust me - In about ten minutes you will be kicking yourself in the ass you drove all that way and didn't bring a rifle.

Yes, I agree it would be sublime. ;)

--Fargo007

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to get into the precision tactical rifle shooting. Does anyone know of any matches in NJ, Pa, DE, or NY? Willing to drive I have to, but cant go out to Texas, Arizona or places like that. Any information would be helpful. I know we have f-class and Palma matches, but that stuff seems kind of boring. The Tactical precision stuff seems pretty fun.

http://www.cumberlandriflemen.com/
http://www.forbesrifleandpistolclub.org/

I am actually a member at Cumberland rifle men. They don't offer the type of matches I am looking for, just f class and Palma. The other one seems to be the same.

Fargo007,
Sorry, missed your reply before. Haha sublime was another auto correct but I guess it works. If I can convince my buddy to come shoot it with me I will be there. One more question... Sorry I have a lot. Are the ranges given? Or do u have to find them? I only ask because the scope on my .308 does not have mildots for ranging.

Fargo007,
Are the ranges given? Or do u have to find them? I only ask because the scope on my .308 does not have mildots for ranging.

Typically, Freddy's New Holland matches are KD (known Distance); Mifflin is UKD (Unknown Distance). With that said, the next match at New Holland (team match, end of this month) has a milling exercise where you will need some form of reticle-based milling system to solve those ranges. If your team mate has a reticle you will be all set - only one of you needs to be able to mill.

Awesome, he shoots night force so I would assume one of his guns would have mildot, I will have to ask. Thanks for the info!

I just have a plane crosehair in my nikon, with tactical turits. I was thinking about upgrading to a night force, that zero stop seems kinda nice.

I just have a plane crosehair in my nikon, with tactical turits. I was thinking about upgrading to a night force, that zero stop seems kinda nice.

Without hash marks of some sort for hold-overs, you will be at a significant disadvantage with that scope. Not impossible, but much tougher than it should be.

Hi, welcome to the Hide. It might be a far drive but there are two long range shooting ranges over here in Ohio. Rayners Range (http://www.raynersrange.com/ ) They have monthly LR steel plate matches out to 1000 yards and also offer a Spring and Fall Sniper Challenge Match. The other is Thunder Valley Precision "TVP" ( http://thundervalleyprecision.com/ ) They have some type of Long Range match about every weekend and also Sniper Matches. They have distances out to 1 mile and for some matches beyond 2000 yards. A search of YouTube for either range should bring up some videos of the matches including clips from the Sniper Challenges. Below my name are two video clip links, I believe the second one shows some of the targets at our regular match.

Topstrap

Ohio is about 7 hours from here, I wouldn't mind heading out there every now and then. Thanks for the info, I will definitely check out the you tube videos.

So instead of starting a new thread with the same content I figured that i'd necro this one to see if there was any new info regarding tactical-style matches in the NJ area. I've never been to a competition and wouldn't be close to competitive, I just want to have some fun!

Also, anyone have any insight into how to join Cumberland. Having access to a range longer than 200 yards would be awesome.

Well yes, but then I won't be able to ask dumb questions in public!

I'll have to submit an application to their waiting list and will likely do so shortly. Still need a sponsor though.

I'll have to check out some of those matches and get myself some training as well.

Maybe visit their website and do what it says?

;-)

Cumberland Riflemen

There are a lot of matches planned in PA, MD, and the nearby corner of WV this year. Enough that you could shoot more than one a month throughout the spring summer and fall.

--Fargo007

Well yes, but then I won't be able to ask dumb questions in public!

I'll have to submit an application to their waiting list and will likely do so shortly. Still need a sponsor though.

I'll have to check out some of those matches and get myself some training as well.

You might want to check out Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol in Jackson, NJ. We have a 300 yard range, but you can do 300 meters by using the berm. 200 acres of property with about 16 "pits" do to pistol work as well as .22. I joined Mifflin and just joined New Holland, so I will start going on the road next spring to reach out further. I have been gearing up and practicing for a while so I hope to do some of the tactical matches in Pa this coming year. Cumberland might be a little haul for you, and I feel it is better to drive the 105 miles to New Holland.

Last edited:
You might want to check out Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol in Jackson, NJ. We have a 300 yard range, but you can do 300 meters by using the berm. 200 acres of property with about 16 "pits" do to pistol work as well as .22. I joined Miflin and just joined New Holland, so I will start going on the road next spring to reach out further. I have been gearing up and practicing for a while so I hope to do some of the tactical matches in Pa this coming year. Cumberland might be a little haul for you, and I feel it is better to drive the 105 miles to New Holland.

Thanks for the recommendation! CJRPC has been on my to-join list for a while now, just haven't gotten around to getting to an orientation session. Wish I had did it before the fees went up though!

I live about 20 miles away, and now that I just retired, hit the range every week for a full day. It's a blast just to hang out. Other than Garand matches they don't do any tactical rifle stuff. They are good for IPSC and pistol steel matches. Old Bridge has a good club for IDPA pistol.

Yes, CJR&P is getting pricey at $300 a year. Mifflin is $60 and New Holland is $125. Worth it just to get hooked up in Pa.