• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shooting during deer season?

opelboy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
ohio
i had the nephews over shooting 22's/17's they got for christmas on my property a while back. 10min into shooting, a guy a half mile away from us wearing hunter orange comes walking out of the woods. while he's walking to his truck we take a 20min break. when he got to his truck which was 90deg of us/behind our firing line i shot a magazine of 10 rounds then went inside to get the tools i forgot to adjust sights.
he drove down to my place and approached my nephews (16,14,11) and asked why they were shooting at him. i came outside and he asked me if i hunted. i do so i say yes, then he asked why i was "fun shooting" during deer muzzleloader season, and accused me of shooting at him while he walked across the field.
i was pretty shocked that he asked that, and getting mad he accused me of shooting at him. i explain to him our side of the story and that we're on private property, i will do as i please, and he needs to leave. he starts ranting on about ricochets and me not being able to control the bullet once fired then talks about the way deer move around me and i scared em all away... i've been shooting(a lot)for 24years so i know gun safety and as far as deer movement he wouldnt see any where he was till after dark...i watch em pretty close.
i tel him i'm not going to argue with him because he was never in danger, i have a pretty decent back drop to catch my bullets, i waited till he was clear, and as far as sabotaging his hunt i explained to him that i shoot all the time and if he did see a deer it doesn't seem to be bother them back at the woods. for a second time i tell him to leave. still not good enough for him and he starts quizzing the boys on gun safety.
i damn near came unglued at this point, but kept my head for the boys sake, and tell him he is not welcome on my property he needs to leave now. after another 5min of listening to him talk about his family living in this area longer than me, such and such a farmer owns the farms around me, who are my uncle and other family friends, and all sorts of bs. i ask his name and he wont tell me. finally i say he better leave now and i walk to the house so he leaves.
i guess i should have called the sheriff right away after he wouldn't leave when i asked him the first time. anyone else experience anything like this before? what rights do i have to forcefully make him leave?

Re: shooting during deer season?

Dig a hole,

I had almost the same thing happen to me,it just so happens the guys I was shooting with were LEO.He was pissed when they told him to leave and find a new place to hunt and he was also trespassing.

Everybody has to experience one of those encounters to realize the mentality of some people. Once you've seen it for yourself, dealing with these type the next time becomes much easier.

When you tell someone to leave your private property, you give them exactly three seconds to turn themselves around and vamoose. If they are still there after three seconds, you call the police. In my experience, those types clear out really quick after you let them know the boys are on their way.

I won't say anything about "forcefully" making him leave, with our justice system he'd probably sue you for some cockamamey reason. Plus every state has different laws on the matter and I have no clue what Ohio's is. But you hit it right on the money, next time just call the sheriff after the first time you ask him to leave. People always act tough until LE gets involved.

No it's not being a wimp. I've been called a pussy by friends for calling the cops during one instance...but that's fine by me. Just dialing the phone ended the situation in a way that didn't mean court (read 'lots of hassle and money') for anyone. I did have my good friends Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson to back me up in case things went sour, but thankfully they didn't. Plus you should stay on the line once you do call them...911 records all calls. So instead of a "he said, you said" debate with the authorities if something did happen, you would have a recording JUST IN CASE it turned bad for whatever reason. Can never be too safe.

But it never fails to amaze me, the brazenness of some who normally are upstanding people. People always think A. they are right, and B. THEIR deer hunting trumps any (legal) activity you want to do! haha

I make it a practice not to target or fun shoot during deer season out of respect for the other hunters in the area. I own my own property so I have the advantage of shooting any time of year. With 10 other months available, I figure I can be a good neighbor for 2.

One thing I will say, when it's deer season, I can't see any reason to be punching paper unless you're confirming the zero on your deer rifle. Get out and score some venison!

Bah! If you are shooting out there all the time, he should pay you for all your gunshot desensitisation you have been doing for him!

If you shoot year round then the deer will be used to it, seen it many times. Sorry about your confrontation just call the law the next go around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when it's deer season, I can't see any reason to be punching paper unless you're confirming the zero on your deer rifle</div></div>

I'm a sport/competitive shooter. I see no reason to give up my sport just because its hunting season.

Wyoming is different, to hunt on (another's) private property, you have to have writtne permission from the land owner in your possession while hunting.

The only people I let hunt on my property is my grandkids and that's just to get them started into hunting in a controlled enviorment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when it's deer season, I can't see any reason to be punching paper unless you're confirming the zero on your deer rifle</div></div>

I'm a sport/competitive shooter. I see no reason to give up my sport just because its hunting season.

Wyoming is different, to hunt on (another's) private property, you have to have writtne permission from the land owner in your possession while hunting.

The only people I let hunt on my property is my grandkids and that's just to get them started into hunting in a controlled enviorment.</div></div>

This.

Private property is private property. As long as you truly weren't endangering him then his opinions are irrelevant.

That said, for a variety of reasons I like to be on good terms with my neighbors. I may choose to give up, voluntarily, some of my use of property if it will help them because at times it is the right thing to do. For instance, I wont be out shooting near my property line with the neighbor if they are having a birthday party for their kid nearby. I may have a RIGHT to do it, but choose not to exercise it out of goodwill. You never know when you might need your neighbor.

However, choosing to be a good neighbor is altogether different than my neighbor coming over and demanding I stop doing something I have a right to do. I may volunteer to give at times, and have done so willingly, but I won't be coerced into anything.

His land is his land, I'm not saying that the dude had any right to be hunting on his land. The other dude was in the wrong, no doubt about it. What I am saying is that during those few short weeks of rifle season, I'm not going to be killing paper. I look forward all year to rifle season and I wouldn't be wasting a good hunting day plinking. To each his own.

Ownership of land trumps hunting season, regardless of where it's at. As a member in full standing at a local club in upstate NY, I had my boys at the range one day. A guy building a house, <span style="font-style: italic">50' from the range's entry gate, and 100' from the shooting line</span> comes over and starts in about how it was Saturday and he was trying to sleep. I got my boy and his friends, we're shooting shotguns, AR's, FAL's, M1 Garands, and just basically having fun letting a kid that was raised quaker SHOOT GUNS.
Being me, I politely ask the guy to step off the line with me, and retreat back by the clubhouse(empty and locked). we discussed one, the location of his house, and common sense. Then we discussed, two, his trespassing on club property. I politely told him that he was not invited, adn could leave, and that if he had issue with us shooting, he could take that up with the LEO down on the corner(A member of the same club). Never saw the enema nozzle again after that.
I guess enema nozzles do things like build homes near race tracks or gun ranges then complain because they lack common sense. In teh above scenerio, I would have politely explained things to the gentleman, then invited him to leave my property. If he chose to not leave and became belligerent, well, he would have been taken down, sat upon, and left in the back of a LEO vehicle with charges of trespassing, verbal assault, and anything else I or the LEO could think of.
Not knocking hunters, but some people just don't need to be out hunting. I can pretty much say that those individuals are not members here, but if they are, well, read and heed.

thanks i appreciate the comments. i definitely would have passed on shooting that day if i saw his truck. my dads property is pretty far from any woods so i would have moved our operation there or the local shooting range that im a member of. ive never seen this guy before so i dont think he owns anything around me and was either hunting with or without permission...i didnt ask. i should have asked for his written permission because ohio also has that policy if you're hunting someone elses land.

As has been said already, private property is private property, so screw anybody who has a problem with your recreation. I have a larger concern with what happens on public property. In my state, its frowned upon to shoot during the hunting season unless you are actually hunting. I have an issue with it because since when does your recreation trump mine? I understand that if its bowhunting,muzzleloader,bird,ect. season, it can be annoying to have someone shooting rifles nearbye. But whats the difference between that and people that come hiking through the canyon I'm trying to hunt during the rifle hunt and scare off what few deer can be found as well as making it dangerous for me to shoot? point is, its public land and I should have no right to tell hikers to leave any more than a bowhunter does me. I believe some states(CO) have made it illegal to hunt/shoot during a season unless you have a tag, for example you cant hunt coyotes during the deer hunt unless you have a deer tag. I think its bullshit, its the typical curbing the rights of all because of a few assholes who poach deer.
What even worse is when you get some bitch who is actually on her high horse telling me I cant shoot here "because its public" and people are here. And some other bitch who tells me she wants to hike up the canyon we are shooting in so we need to stop. Why does your recreation come before mine?

I hear you coldbore. Washington recently passed a law that only allows the public to shoot in 'public designated shooting areas'. When i got the list of areas i drove to them and the only one suitable for shooting LR is 2 hours away from me. So if i want to go shooting now i have to drive 2 hours so the granola eaters can monopolize the public land! Some of the 'designated areas' are washed out and have no access either. They change the law so we can have and shoot supressors now and then take away our access to shoot on public land!

I was shooting up at the Plantation range near Bellingham and there was a spike standing on the edge of the range with people shooting rifles, it acted like we were not even there. If he doesnt like it tell him to stop hunting so close to people, and try getting out in the woods a ways. Stop hunting in people's back yards.

WOW I sure am glad to live in Texas and own land. Down here that s..t would not have happened.

I'd keep an eye out for him. Next time he's in the field , It'd be time for some more target shooting, maybe a bit of tanerite as well. It's your property he can hunt elsewhere with an attitude like that. As well post a no trespassing sign at the end of the drive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jmilera</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW I sure am glad to live in Texas and own land. Down here that s..t would not have happened. </div></div>

Ya, thats great for you, but for anyone who doesn't, it sucks
frown.gif

Hmmmmm, he claims to be from around there and won't give his name? Not likely.

As far as the deer go, we shoot literally thousands of rounds at the ranch every month. The deer don't care. Many times we have to go cold range due to deer in the target area. They don't care unless their buddies melon pops and gets them splattered. They'll run off and be back in fifteen minutes. It is SOP not to jump out of the blind or run down the the downed animal right away, we don't want the deer to associate bad things with seeing us or hearing gunshots. It works.

Same reason we try very hard not to shoot from vehicles. If we see something needs shooting while riding around in jeep, we just drop one man off, he hides, and the jeep keeps going. The animals only get jumpy when the jeep stops and people are fumbling for rifles etc.

He (the hunter) was wrong to take the position he did. Your ranch, your rules. I am glad that I have good neighbors, that would never let someone like that out to hunt their place. For sure, though, if the law needs called, be sure you are the one calling, you don't want him calling and saying you were threatening him with firearms.

I would have asked him to leave then I would have called the cops. Like it has been said before when cops show up the guilty tent to move on.

In some states it is not legal to shoot during deer season. If it is legal in your area why not shoot with your grandkids.

It is amazing how some people think if they can hear shooting or a ricochet they think it is coming right at them. What is worse is most of the gun myths and lies come from people who like guns. This guy you were dealing with was just a jerk. He wanted you to not do anything so he could sit in total silence as if it was 1704. My Grandpa had a shooting range right behind his house and on more than one occasion doe and fauns would walk across the shooting lanes or just graze there for a while then move on. It is amazing how they will know you are shooting and not fear it at all.