• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting from a climate controlled room

Odysseus1911

Piled higher and Deeper
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2019
Arkansas
I'm going to build a climate-controlled office/workshop on my property and intend to put all my reloading setup in there. I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to do load development and then just roll my office chair from the reloading bench over to the window and shoot without having to leave the room.

Are there any issues with heavy mirage or scope fogging that could occur when shooting through the open window of a climate-controlled room window when there's a large temperature difference between inside and outside? i.e. 72 degrees inside and 35 degrees outside, or 72 inside and 96 outside.

Cold would be most likely to fog it, but the outward rush of warm air should help. That and the rifle will be mostly inside with little of the barrel outside depending on how you build it.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
It will suck depending where your location is. I’m in the UP of Michigan. I have a 100 yard range out of my reloading room window. In the winter when (example 20° or less) there is a very noticeable mirage out of the window.

72 to 96 you won’t have an issue

72 to 35 you may have an issue

Lower temps outside and you will notice the mirage

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

When it's cold outside / warm inside, I have set up fans to blow warm air out to cut mirage and prevent fogging......worked.

On the plus side, having these temp extremes will help you become better at reading mirage 🤠

• Love
Reactions: Odysseus1911