• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So two years ago I bought 16 acres in rural West Virginia just so I could have someplace to shoot.

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
So a couple of years ago I bought some wild land in WV just to have someplace to shoot. Most of the property is vertical but there's enough level ground to have a really decent range. You only have to Bush Hog it a few times a year otherwise mother nature will overgrow it while you watch.
A few months back I got tired of the heat and the bugs and having to douse myself in bug repellant. I went and bought a nice on-sale, pre-built shed and dropped it on the only truly level spot within 15 miles. I then insulated the walls, got a 10,000 btu air conditioner, cut a hole in the short wall, and framed it in. I then made a box to put over it in a likely vain attempt to disguise, hide and secure it. So far no one has stolen it. Of course, they could just as easily haul off the whole shed. If they could find it. I'm probably wrong about that. I'm sure every local knows exactly where all the noise comes from. I expect anytime to show up and see big purple dicks spray painted all over it and everything gone including the insulation but so far so good.
I power it, and everything else by a Generac 7500 generator that I take with me in the bed of my pickup truck. I just backup to the shed and plugin. They'll likely strip out the wire I put in too, now that I think about it but so far, so good. I didn't buy the Generac for this, I had it because I lose power at my home every time a sparrow farts.
I can now shoot in air-conditioned comfort, on a nice shooting bench made into the long wall below the window. When I told my buddies about it they all laughed...until we all got together like we usually do. Guys were fighting for the window seat. It was a 93-degree day and the humidity was so high it was like a sauna outside. There are now plans to expand the window and bench wall. I don't have to do a thing or pay for a thing. All I have to do is say OK.
The only downside to any of this is that I have to drive about 2-1/2 hours to get there.

It's quite a ways for me, but pm me the lat/lon and I'll make sure no purple dicks are painted on it as often as I can get by.

Reactions: camocorvette
I live in WV and absolutely love this state.
20220811_203220.jpg

WV is beautiful and the mountain folk are my kind of people. My wife is born/raised in WV. The only issue you will likely deal with are the opiod/pill/heroin/fentanyl been on the government dime their entire lives types. Nobody else will mess with anything. That is true in rural NC where we live now as well and the rural S in general.

I looked at property in WV which sounds a lot like yours. The RE agent was telling me that there's no issues with trespassing or vandalism. I walked away from the property and that agent because I visited the property and drove around to talk to folks who live in that area. I was told that break ins, trespassing and just plain drug induced problems are a big issue in that area.

The only way you could possibly limit problems is to give the neighbors permission to hunt the property for exchange that they keep an eye out. That doesn't eliminate problems, maybe just reduce the risk by a bit.

I wanted to throw a small shed converted to a 2 room cabin. Too many risks, so the wife and I decided to forget about that dream.

I'm currently on the hunt for similar property in WV/OH/KY. It's not easy to find anything affordable with level ground...mostly hilltops. Thanks for the idea about A/C!

I looked at property in WV which sounds a lot like yours. The RE agent was telling me that there's no issues with trespassing or vandalism. I walked away from the property and that agent because I visited the property and drove around to talk to folks who live in that area. I was told that break ins, trespassing and just plain drug induced problems are a big issue in that area.

The only way you could possibly limit problems is to give the neighbors permission to hunt the property for exchange that they keep an eye out. That doesn't eliminate problems, maybe just reduce the risk by a bit.

I wanted to throw a small shed converted to a 2 room cabin. Too many risks, so the wife and I decided to forget about that dream.
...and the locals are probably congratulating themselves on keeping another damn Yankee from buying up property in their neighborhood.

We have something of the same problem lots closer in to DC. What used to be farms is now McMansions filled with Karens.

M

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
...and the locals are probably congratulating themselves on keeping another damn Yankee from buying up property in their neighborhood.

We have something of the same problem lots closer in to DC. What used to be farms is now McMansions filled with Karens.

M

No, I made it clear that I was born a Mountaineer. I drive up in my Ram pick up, so I feel they didn't think I was "one of them". I also told them I'd let my neighbors hunt on the property when I'm not there.

I thought I was out of that "drug problem" area, but they assured me that the entire area has this problem.

Reactions: Slash0311
I'm originally from NYC. I grew up in TriBeCa in lower Manhattan but thank the almighty that I've lost 99% of the nasal-asshole accent from the government posting me around the world for much of my adult life. Even so, I'm instantly detected as an outsider at 50 meters, er 55 yards. When cornered I tell the locals I'm from Columbus Ohio, anywhere but NYC! If I told them where I was really from gas would be $10 a gallon and I'd have another tattoo....of a big purple dick on my forehead. I've found out 3 things about the locals. They're incredibly nice, they're very smart, and don't piss them off.

I'm originally from NYC. I grew up in TriBeCa in lower Manhattan but thank the almighty that I've lost 99% of the nasal-asshole accent from the government posting me around the world for much of my adult life. Even so, I'm instantly detected as an outsider at 50 meters, er 55 yards. When cornered I tell the locals I'm from Columbus Ohio, anywhere but NYC! If I told them where I was really from gas would be $10 a gallon and I'd have another tattoo....of a big purple dick on my forehead. I've found out 3 things about the locals. They're incredibly nice, they're very smart, and don't piss them off.
Dont come to Wyoming. Nothing here to see.

I've been thinking about the same thing here in Arizona, there's all sorts of Mad Max meets Unabomber property out here where you can be in the middle of nowhere with your guns.

Stuff like this:

Neat place. I am in that area often. There is some really remote shit out there, roads get really muddy and then rough, but that keeps the city folk out. Most stuff like that is not on the internet, local realtors are the only ones who know about them and you have to talk to them first. There is some baller places out there, shit load of dumps, but its pretty cool. Getting water to most places is difficult at best. Not a lot of rain either, so catchment is difficult but works.

My hunting buddies and I have hunted a farm in WV for more than 30y now. We have a one room cabin on it for deer season. It is surrounded by friends who also hunt. The locals lead a mostly simple life but love nature and the woods and are good marksmen. A few years ago, one of the neighbors passed away and I had the chance to buy 150 ac with an A-frame on it. About 1/3rd pasture and the rest woodland. I did not pull the trigger and have regret'ed that fail for years. It is about 3hrs from me but so be it.

My hunting buddies and I have hunted a farm in WV for more than 30y now. We have a one room cabin on it for deer season. It is surrounded by friends who also hunt. The locals lead a mostly simple life but love nature and the woods and are good marksmen. A few years ago, one of the neighbors passed away and I had the chance to buy 150 ac with an A-frame on it. About 1/3rd pasture and the rest woodland. I did not pull the trigger and have regret'ed that fail for years. It is about 3hrs from me but so be it.
How much was it going for?

Sounds like a nice place, congratulations. WV is a beautiful state.

So a couple of years ago I bought some wild land in WV just to have someplace to shoot. Most of the property is vertical but there's enough level ground to have a really decent range. You only have to Bush Hog it a few times a year otherwise mother nature will overgrow it while you watch.
A few months back I got tired of the heat and the bugs and having to douse myself in bug repellant. I went and bought a nice on-sale, pre-built shed and dropped it on the only truly level spot within 15 miles. I then insulated the walls, got a 10,000 btu air conditioner, cut a hole in the short wall, and framed it in. I then made a box to put over it in a likely vain attempt to disguise, hide and secure it. So far no one has stolen it. Of course, they could just as easily haul off the whole shed. If they could find it. I'm probably wrong about that. I'm sure every local knows exactly where all the noise comes from. I expect anytime to show up and see big purple dicks spray painted all over it and everything gone including the insulation but so far so good.
I power it, and everything else by a Generac 7500 generator that I take with me in the bed of my pickup truck. I just backup to the shed and plugin. They'll likely strip out the wire I put in too, now that I think about it but so far, so good. I didn't buy the Generac for this, I had it because I lose power at my home every time a sparrow farts.
I can now shoot in air-conditioned comfort, on a nice shooting bench made into the long wall below the window. When I told my buddies about it they all laughed...until we all got together like we usually do. Guys were fighting for the window seat. It was a 93-degree day and the humidity was so high it was like a sauna outside. There are now plans to expand the window and bench wall. I don't have to do a thing or pay for a thing. All I have to do is say OK.
The only downside to any of this is that I have to drive about 2-1/2 hours to get there.
How far can you shoot?

How far can you shoot?
We have a clean range out to 500 meters, er, 550 yards. With 100, 200, 250, 350, 400 and 450 stops. I can't go any further because there is a shear cliff of about 20 meters at the end. It then goes straight up about 50 meters. That's why I got the property for 35 grand, plus there's no possibility of any sort of utilities.
It's great for 4-wheelers and dirt bikes, though. I don't have any kids but my buddies frequently bring theirs and a long-suffering, good-natured spouse, and they run around the trails. I just show them where the property lines are and caution them to stay well clear of them. Again, the last thing I want is to piss off the neighbors. They live here, I don't.

It's all fun and games until one of your buddies cuts a glory hole in a wall so the skanks can blow him from outside- then it's all gonna go to shit.

It's all fun and games until one of your buddies cuts a glory hole in a wall so the skanks can blow him from outside- then it's all gonna go to shit.
Great, now I have to poke out my mind's eye. I can't unsee that one.

Last edited:

ha ha a few bugs lol get up and torture the kids and wife and smile god loves you .

Reactions: BCP
Sorry bud, I was being facetious. You would be welcome in central Texas. We live next door to Ft. Hood and love the sound of freedom when the arty goes off most every day.
I get it. The folks from Texas are the best....even if the Army is involved.

• Haha
Reactions: Balor
Sorry bud, I was being facetious. You would be welcome in central Texas. We live next door to Ft. Hood and love the sound of freedom when the arty goes off most every day.
I live 30min (by bicycle) from the backside of MCB Quantico. You should hear the Karens complaining about the artillery fire

Me? I say 'bring it on!'

M

My shop has AC as well, told the wife I am too old and grumpy to be sweating trying to work on things. I am wanting to add one of those mini-splits to it as the one huge window unit I have struggles a bit.

My shop is 30x40 with 24' wall height, I have a two post lift in there, it is quite nice if I get it started in the morning, but if I decide to go out and it is already 98, it just can't budge it, it will cut some humidity, but just too big of an area.

I am quite happy out there, when I can be on my feet long enough to get anything done, I have my fiat on the lift, a dune buggy under it, two bikes, one on a motorcycle lift lawn mower, and "top" or shell to a VW bug, still room to move around nice. Last weekend, have new carb for the dune buggy, bleed the fiat brakes, and new coils for the mower, I got the coils installed, gapped and the mower to cough to start, by then my hips are shot and I had to go back inside a very unhappy fellow.

Having a nice place to enjoy what you enjoy makes all the difference.

Reactions: wildcats and Balor
WV is a beautiful state. I shoot out at PNTC but that's in Eastern WV. Good range out to 1k and they have a secondary range that I think does 1.5k.

I live 30min (by bicycle) from the backside of MCB Quantico. You should hear the Karens complaining about the artillery fire

Me? I say 'bring it on!'

M

I hate those types. Move into a neighborhood and complain about the airport noise. Move near a quarry and complain about the explosions. But they want everything to stop because they move into the area.

I hate those types. Move into a neighborhood and complain about the airport noise. Move near a quarry and complain about the explosions. But they want everything to stop because they move into the area.
Around here, they've closed down Manassas airport, Woodbridge airport, and the race track by the county fairgrounds.

They tried to get Dulles shut down, but thankfully, that didn't happen

M

Story time, two stories first one on "airport" issues.

I am flying back to OJC after looking a christmas light, Here in Kansas City they light up an old shopping districted called "the plaza" with christmas lights, fairly big thing that they have done for decades. We are flying back it is dark, and I am 10-15 miles out. At OJC at the time it was controlled only part time, so at night no one was there....or should have been there. I am coming in and want the lights on. You can set your radio to X freq and key the mike X times and make the lights turn on. I am still far enough away I don't need to announce myself I just wanted the lights on for a reference....click lights come on, ok cool, talk to the wife a minute, lights go off.....hmm, click click click, lights back on.....lights off. Cherokee niner two six five north of OJC with Fox....someone comes on the radio, tower, are you turning on the lights.....are you the one turning off the lights. Yes the neighbors don't like the lights being on. To that I reply the neighbors would like a cherokee 140 in their living room a great deal less, I am the pilot and I want the lights on and I want them to stay on....they stayed on.

Story 2:

I have lived out in the country for roughly 20 years, hearing gun fire every day is nothing. Hearing LARGE professional fireworks on days that are not the 4th is something that happens. As is happening in our area, if you sell off your 100 AC farm, it will get bought and sliced up and have 50 houses dumped on it so city people can live in the country, and the little crotch fruit can have her horse. This has brought out karens, for both the good and bad. On Karen, I call our subdivision activist, got our road changed from gravel to chip n seal, ok I will sign off on that. I also got visited by county sheriff a couple times for shooting....hay we got a call from.....hay don't you work at X, (one county over) yup, whats up. We got a call on shooting, let me guess. We have to check, yea I know we get them too. Next guy out did not know me and the wife walked him back to where we are shooting....you are safe have a nice day, you want to bust some clays.....I better not, ______ will not care if you do a few. Do you know _________ yea, I work one county over. Your the ______ from ______, yup thats me. I shouldnt but heck, and he busted a few clays.

I stopped getting them to come out.

She also wanted to change school districts and have our area moved into another district, hard no.....she was also "not ready" to let her 6yr old go to school.

They moved, and a real nice black couple moved in out there, to oddly enough get away from all the gun fire. You will hear that out here quite a bit....yea we noticed that, but it is very different. Yes it is, out here we believe in god and country, and that order is different for different people.
Both us being old we ride bikes together and gripe about women.

I have 120 acres of the Columbia Basin that I use for my range. I bring out a pop up canopy, a cooler and a nice lounge chair and make a day of steel gongs from 200 to 800 yds. Nearest neighbor is 3.5 miles away, a few tannerite explosions have stopped cars on the highway that's 3/4 of a mile away.

It's one of my favorite places.

I'd visit WV but I don't have a sister to fuck so I'm not welcome.