• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shooting from a helicopter

hrt4me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2001
Dallas, Texas
I was fortunate to get invited to sit in on a recent 3-day training class at Dillon Aero in Scottsdale, Arizona. (My timing was off, though, because apparently this week some of the Dillon Aero/Blue Press calendar models are scheduled to be there for a photo shoot with the Aero).

Day 1 covered basic operation and immediate action drills on the minigun, as well as how to properly load the ammunition cans to keep rounds from tilting inside (which would lead to feed jams in the feeder/delinker and possibly hand-off jams between the feeder/delinker and the minigun itself).

We spent Day 2 on the range firing from a Huey while the AH-6 Little Bird alternated gun runs with its dual miniguns. Then later on the ground we fired the Dillon Aero once again, along with various other weapons (such as the M2HB, AK47 and AK74, and a 1911 machine pistol). My girlfriend got to accompany us to the range, and she loved it, especially considering she initially did not even want to come along.

We fired approximately 37,000 rounds through the Dillon Aero minigun that day without a single stoppage, hangfire or cook-off. At one point they even scooped up a handful of dirt and dust from the Arizona desert and literally dumped it into the open port of the top cover/safing sector, and the Dillon Aero just kept on firing! This is clearly a testament to the redesigned Dillon Aero parts, which are a vast improvement over the original General Electric M134 parts and make for an extremely reliable weapon system (minigun, feeder/delinker, motor assembly, clutch/solenoid, GCU, ammo boxes of various capacities, feed chute and round repositioner).

Day 3 was hands-on back in the classroom learning inspection, maintenance and repair procedures; we got to completely tear down several miniguns, inspect them for damage and wear, and reassemble and properly lube all the parts.

Thanks to Mike Dillon and kudos to the great crew and all the other gracious hosts at Dillon Aero, as well as Dillon Precision in the other half of their building. I hope to make it back one day to get a ride and some trigger time in the Little Bird, as well as in the modified SUV with the Dillon Aero in its top hatch.

Here are a few photos and two videos (firing at 3000 rpm, or 50 shots per second):

Re: shooting from a helicopter

Some guys get all the fun!

Fun weapon system. Now the bad news, you will never be right again, nor look at another machine gun the same after the M134 experience. Congrats on this opportunity and best wishes.

Looks like fun! How are the leads when flying quickly away from a target?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like fun! How are the leads when flying quickly away from a target?</div></div>

Couldn't really tell you; each pass was slightly different, and the weapon did not have a sight; they simply advised to fire and adjust, akin to spraying water from a garden hose.

I use to run the Alaska National Guard Marksmanship Unit. Like most service teams, we have a problem with turning in brass. We were always short for several reasons.

I solved the problem by volenteering to be a range office for our NG Avation unit. They would get tons of '60 ammo to fire from the Hueys and they needed a RO on the chopters. So I hung out on the skids with a ruck sack catching the brass that would normaly fall into the mud flats as "un-recoverable". Had a lot of fun, shot a lot of ammo and cleared my brass.

I did some shooting from chopters back in 67-68, but that wasnt near as much fun then.

If I could just get a Dillion aero and about a billion rounds of ammo, I would be all set.

Melick I got a chance to fire about 50 rounds through one. Fun, but over before you know it. I am sure it is a lot more fun with more ammo and shooting it from a moving helio.

Larue4.JPG

Hey Pete, good to hear from you. Yeah, I know I missed a good time at the LT 3-gun match last year in Waco, but this class definitely made up for it!

you stold my dream date, I hate you!
lucky SOB.
save us any brass?
this stuff never happens to me ;-(. .. .....

Pete, was the EoTech sight for close range work?
grin.gif

out-fuc**ng-standing ...
now who do we have to kill to go to the class?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Melick I got a chance to fire about 50 rounds through one. Fun, but over before you know it. I am sure it is a lot more fun with more ammo and shooting it from a moving helio.

Larue4.JPG
</div></div>

OK how do you calculate the spindrift for your barell spinning 6000rmp in a 6" circle

Well, that does look like fun, but it would have been even cooler if you had some old toy animals stuffed with Tannerite to blow up...

I guess the only way to top that would be to ride in an AC 130.

Very nice vid.

I live in Phoenix Arizona, and I will never get a chance to do that. That's bad ass!

Does anyone know the laws or rules around shooting from a civilian Helo on your own range ?

Ten months after I first visited Dillon Aero last year, I was once again invited to sit in on their latest 3-day training class in Scottsdale, Arizona. For all students in this iteration, Day 1 was a review of basic operation and immediate action drills on the minigun, including how to properly load the ammunition cans to keep rounds from tilting inside (which would lead to feed jams in the feeder/delinker and possibly hand-off jams between the feeder/delinker and the minigun itself). We spent Day 2 on their range firing from their UH-1 Huey and later on the ground using a vehicle mount, while the customized Land Rover Defender with its custom turret fired in the background. I fired between 3500 to 4000 rounds through the Dillon Aero M134 minigun ((firing at 3000 rpm, or 50 shots per second), again without a single stoppage, hangfire or cook-off. Finally, Day 3 was hands-on back in the classroom again reviewing inspection, maintenance and repair procedures as we completely tore down the minigun we had fired the day before, inspected it for damage and wear, and reassembled and properly lubed all its parts. Here are eight videos; enjoy!

(<span style="font-style: italic">and to the National Guard Sergeant who flew out to the range with us in the Huey to test his new loads, good look at Rifles Only with your .300 Win Mag!</span>)

Taking off in the UH-1 Huey from Dillon Aero's facility in Scottsdale:

firing to the side:

firing toward the rear:

overhead pass:

low and fast:

Land Rover Defender:

dueling miniguns:

spraying the berm: