• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting glasses for shooting scoped rifles?

Not cheap, I picked up a set on sale for $90.

They're amazing for clays. Since they're always in my range bag they're my go to for rifle most days. If it's really Sunny I'll swap to my gray half-jackets.

Since reason Oakley are the only lenses that don't give me a raging headache.

Reactions: Drumie
Obvious, but the eye is the most fragile/easily damaged part of the human body.

I know guys that shoot without eye pro for bolt guns all the time. They are big boys and can make their own decisions.

That said, I wear ballistic eyewear (Oakley) because of how vulnerable the eye is and I've watched pistols basically explode from double charged ammo. I will never purposely shoot without eye pro.

And I'll give up slight parallax or other issue to protect my eyes to the best way I can.

I hear what you’re saying and will never downplay safety and/or PPE when it comes to shooting, but you basically have to try to blow up a bolt gun at this point.

Not saying that it can’t be done, but if you do manage to blow one up, you have much bigger problems than ‘just’ worrying about your eyes.

That being said, I’ve seen a couple case head separations result in some gnarly gas blowback. None of them resulted in injuries other than irritation, but you’re 100% right... see it happen once and you’ll wear whatever glasses you can find.

Reactions: acudaowner
Every time you shoot on Metal targets there is a remote chance of ricochet ,rifle blowing up is not the only thing here.

I am new to rifle shooting, and never used a scope before. I have astigmatism, and progressive lenses. I have a Vudoo V2 on order with a Nightforce ATACR F1 7-35 scope, that I have not received yet. Going to the eye doctor next week. What Rx would I use for shooting, would it be the prescription for long distance, or the prescription for the distance to the scope? I don't know how any of this works, optically?

The problem with trying to order Rx lenses on-line is getting the pupilary distance. I have tried to get my optometrist to tell me, but they just referred me to the optician, who wouldn't do it (I guess they know you are going to order stuff on-line, and they will lose business).

The problem with trying to order Rx lenses on-line is getting the pupilary distance. I have tried to get my optometrist to tell me, but they just referred me to the optician, who wouldn't do it

With shooting glasses your "optical center" is so far in towards the nose, there is no way to enter the PD into an online order. As for the focal "distance" I believe (and someone correct me if wrong) is your normal distance vision since you can adjust the diopter on the ocular bell of the scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cmkaco
I wish Oakley would rerelease the splinter sunglasses they were my favorite ever. I have problem with the polarized lenses while shooting with sights that have fiber optics. I also have transition lenses in my prescription glasses that cause the same problem. Are there other guys having trouble with this issue

I've been using my Oakley Tombstones for a while now. When I shot pistols competitively, they were the best I ever used. They've got more lens above than usual (I think mine are the Spoils) that make looking out the top much easier. The Reap model has even more, specifically designed for it. No distortion at all, very clear. A little pricey, but by comparison to everything else, it's a drop in the bucket. No more headaches from cheap lenses either.

Single vision prescription Z87 safety glasses and frames at Wal Mart for $100 a pair. That’s what I use. If you ever experience a over pressured round or see it happen to others, you’ll were glasses forever after that. No issue with focus or parallax wearing them. Now, if your not using single vision, yes wearing glasses will induce issues in different shooting positions.
I’ll never shoot without glasses. A number of years back a 30-06 cartridge got into a box of 338 wm. When to primer detonated, the case split lengthwise and blew powder, hot gas and particles out around the bolt and in my face. Forehead and cheek stung pretty good. Glasses stopped the stuff before it got to my eyes.

My eyes are starting to get worse with age. I have to use +1.50 cheaters when I work on stuff up close or small. I can still get scopes in focus. What do guys do when it becomes prescription?

Attachments

• 7226E98B-4CEB-445F-AAF0-C5AD5EE8CDAB.jpeg
    7226E98B-4CEB-445F-AAF0-C5AD5EE8CDAB.jpeg
    561.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 53959422-820A-432A-80CC-58A40F4E69F5.jpeg
    53959422-820A-432A-80CC-58A40F4E69F5.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 60
Mine are prescription, only issues are lenses fogging up or slipping. Fixed it with Fogx wipes and a head strap.

I got a set of ANSI certified glasses with magnifying bifocal lenses from Duluth Trading that are very nice. They have four sets of interchangeable lenses ( dark grey, yellow for low light, blue and clear).

Any tips on shooting glasses for use in competitions that are also opticaly worth any salt as it seems we spend bunch of $$ on scopes only to waste much of optical preformance using 10$ safety glasses.

In the late 60's we used Bausch and Lomb Ray-bans. Almost everyone used them before all the new products came to be.

What do guys do when it becomes prescription?
I wear Randolf Eng Rangers....same glasses that I wore for competitive skeet.

The lenses can be made in prescription but my prescription is light enough that I can compensate with ocular adjustment so I wear plano lenses.

As for "cheaters" which are magnifying reading glasses, yeah? I got a pair of those stick on magnifiers and they work well for when I need to see something close up like the turret markings. You just wet them and stick them on.

The Ranger lenses are tall enough that they stick on magnifiers don't get in the way when looking through the scope.

Cousin recently lost his right eye. As a side biz, he does storage war kind of stuff. Buys and then sells in his booth at a "mart".

He got a hold of some sort of really old air rifle and was disassembling it to clean it up and didn't realize it still had air pressure and a cap of some sort came flying off into his eye which is now done for life.

Not from shooting, but it does bring home how dear our eyes are and that we only have two. He's going to have to learn how to shoot rifles left handed now, I'm going up there in Jun to see him and work on it. But it has been a HUGE impact to his life and just emphasizes how important safety glasses are.

Reactions: 308pirate
Great thread! Any of today's PRS shooters recommend glasses other than those listed herein?

Someone from this forum posted this and I thought it was interesting, but never tried it out. For research purposes, have no clue if they're useful or even real, but I thought the concept was neat.