• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting glasses

spiralseal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2008
Central, NJ
I was looking for a good and safe pair of shooting glasses, any suggestions? Is it better to be amber colored?

Re: Shooting glasses

What are you shooting... handgun, semi-auto rifle, bolt rifle, stinger missiles?

What are you shooting... multi-colored paper, steel painted white, shoot-n-c dots on brown cardboard, animals, something else?

Where are you shooting... indoors, outdoors, mars, all three?

Clear lenses are good indoors or on extremely overcast days.
Amber lenses help on overcast days when shooting white backgrounds.
Darker lenses are good on bright days.

Your environment and conditions will ultimately determine your needs. I have glasses with interchangeable clear, persimmon, and polarized lenses and use all three depending on what I'm shooting (bolt rifle or handgun) and where I'm doing it.

I went with the Oakley Pro-m frames, lots of lens choices and they hold up real well to abuse.

I am a big fan of ESS eyewear.

The Ice set is nice you get 3 sets of lenses all in once nice case with a few other extras

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a big fan of ESS eyewear.

The Ice set is nice you get 3 sets of lenses all in once nice case with a few other extras

</div></div>

Nomad, How clear are they? I do some long range stuff and CQB

Oakley Flak Jackets.

Flat profile make them very comfy under ear pro. You also have a lot of tints to choose from for conditions.

I'm running a pair of Rudy Project Rydons with the Racing Red lenses. I think they're great, and you can get any of a bunch of different lenses that swap in and out of the frames.

Just a add on question if i may, What are good shooting glasses to fit over prescription eyewear? contacts dont work for me
cry.gif

My Oakleys were 3 something when all said and done...... 255 for lenses and like 105 for the frames.

I would look into the Rudy project glasses, and a RX insert, but it will be just about the same money .... although you can change out the lenses independently ..... if I want different lenses for my Oakleys I gotta have em RX's and its another 255.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a big fan of ESS eyewear.

</div></div>

+1 on that.

I have2 pairs and they are crystal clear.

FWIW ESS is owned by Oakley.

Rudy Project is working diligently to promote its products for shooting. Not sure if you guys know there is a discount code for a huge discount for Rudy Project products. PM me for details. I have no affiliations with them. Just passing along the discount their sponsored shooters give out.

They are clear I really enjoy them.

If anyone needs a promo discount code thats ordering drop me a line!!!

I like my Oakley half jackets when i wear contacts (rare anymore these days) and my Nano wire 2.0's (perscription) love them both

The ESS ICE and all there glasses allow for RX inserts!!

I use Rudy Project Rydons with a perscription inserts. This allows for interchangble lens. They now offer dedicated perscription lenses too if you want full optical clarity.

My M-Frames, I bought the cheapo pair with basic grey lenses for $100 7 years ago, still going strong. I just spent $150 on a new set of the polarized VR-28 lens kit. Best investment, they are on par with my Costa Del Mar 580's for clarity.

There were some great deals on Rudy Projects awhile back on here. I have 2 pairs and they are quality glasses and work very well for me.

I use Rudy Project for my Rx needs. Best investment I ever made. I've tried a number of the above brands including Oakley. So far, I've found the Rudy Project glasses to be the best overall.

I am wholeheartedly an Oakley sunglass guy, and I have recently upgraded my hearing protection and I am now in the market to upgrade my eye protection. I was previously set on the M-Frame's but the ESS makes me second guess that choice. The ESS Crossbreed looks like a nice alternative, and technically speaking is still an Oakley company.

My question is to those who have used both the Oakley Standard Issue M-frame glasses (any model really) and the ESS Ice or Crossbreed: which did/do you like better? Reasons why?

The new style SI M-Frames are a little over the top on the designs of the frame. I kind of like the more subdued aproach of the ESS frames. The ESS Crossbreeds can be had for a fair amount less money as well. My big concern is the optic clarity and overall durability of the lenses. I would like to believe that being owned by Oakley means that in these areas the quality will be the same, but I am not sure if that is true or not.

I was previously set on the M-Frame's but the ESS makes me second guess that choice..

If you are military, leo, or otherwise affiliated with the government, usstandardissue.com can't be beat for prices. It's Oakley's government website. Youll need to sign up and send a copy of your ID for varification to be able to see what the prices are, but it's worth it. Most are close to half off retail. Im pretty sure they do prescriptions too.

Or you can contact me and i can get you the 30-35% off code for all ESS eyewear!!
smile.gif

I have a pair of the ESS Crossbows and they are great! I also have a pair of the ESS ICE. They use the same prescription insert.

I'm much happier with the Crossbows myself. I think they fit better and are generally just nicer.

You can have ESS fill your prescription order. It's really easy. They're good to go too. I had my prescription hosed up from my optometrist, ESS (really Mountain West Optical) replaced them ASAP for free. I was very happy.

My only complaint is that for my particular presciption, I have to bend the inserts back a little bit to get them sharp. It's hard to explain but because of the "altering" they do to your normal lense (because the insert isn't flat, it's curved) it isn't exactly perfect.

I'm rambling now, but I love the Crossbox. I'd highly recommend it. However, if you picked up a pair of Oakleys that have the corrective lense cut into the glasses themselves, that might be a better alternative. It's gonna run ya $300 either way. You probably won't wear the ESS Crossbow when you're driving around. The Crossbow is probably more safety than you really need for shooting. They're made for folks in the military that are in harms way and not really for folks plinking. However, they're the strongest option available to you. I'd pay $300 any day of the week to keep my eye sight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spiralseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking for a good and safe pair of shooting glasses, any suggestions? Is it better to be amber colored? </div></div>

Dwalt Safety glasses work well. They have different lenses for different lighting conditions.

Dewalt Tinted

Dewalt Clear

Dewalt Over Corrective Lenses

just go to rite-aid and get some of thos $3.99 clear glasses and you'll be all set....lol

Oakleys....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running a pair of Rudy Project Rydons with the Racing Red lenses. I think they're great, and you can get any of a bunch of different lenses that swap in and out of the frames. </div></div>

Anyone running these should list what type of hearing protection they use
wink.gif

I use them for cycling/shooting and with muffs (prone, rifle) the arms are too thick. Also stick out too far when wearing a helmet. Quite a stupid design which was either not tested OR they picked looks over function.
Which makes me a bit of an idiot for still liking them
wink.gif

RX inserts just over the max listed and they are ok. Reasonably comfortable (when not wearing muffs), good protection and a nice wrap.

Rydon's are designed to be worn on the outside of your cycling helmet straps. It's the same as Oakley M frames which were design back in 1990 for cycling to clear the helmet strap making it easier to take on and off during a ride.

The straight temples also work better to stick in your helmet vents when not using them. Obviously this doesn't apply to you or me since we can't see without the prescription inserts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running a pair of Rudy Project Rydons with the Racing Red lenses. I think they're great, and you can get any of a bunch of different lenses that swap in and out of the frames. </div></div>

Anyone running these should list what type of hearing protection they use
wink.gif

I use them for cycling/shooting and with muffs (prone, rifle) the arms are too thick. Also stick out too far when wearing a helmet. Quite a stupid design which was either not tested OR they picked looks over function.
Which makes me a bit of an idiot for still liking them
wink.gif

RX inserts just over the max listed and they are ok. Reasonably comfortable (when not wearing muffs), good protection and a nice wrap. </div></div>

I'm using Peltor Tactical Sport muffs. I definitely hear what you're saying about the thickness of the arms, and I've heard it from other people too. It's never bothered me though.

I am currently reviewing the ESS Crossbows. The 2x kit comes with two complete frame/lens sets. One in clear and one in smoke. They also include a MOLLE compatible hardcase and cleaning bag.

I have been using the smoke daily for a couple weeks now. I am waiting until our next training day to use the clear, but so far I have not had any fogging issues.

They are some nice glasses.

They fit fine under a PASGT helmet and with Peltor Sporttac's.

They are a bit large on me compared to my Oakley Canteens, and they will probably not replace my Canteens for off-duty wear, but I am sold on the Crossbow for work. They provide more coverage than what I had been wearing, with good airflow and no blind spots. My Canteen's did cause a little bit of a "blinder" effect, although you should be scanning all the time when working anyway.

I also wanted to add that ESS is now owned by Oakley and the Crossbow is their first "joint" design effort. You can definitely see the Oakley influence.

Thanks for the reviews guys!! I think I will probably give the Crossbows a try!

Nomad I will be sending you a PM shortly!