• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Glasses

Bacarrat

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    My Ray Bans aren't cutting it anymore. Whats everyone wearing? I want something with some tension on the side of the face when it's hot and sweaty outside and something that doesn't impede the FOV when shooting. I tried some at Sunglass Hut today and really didn't feel like spending 200+ bucks for some glasses.

Re: Shooting Glasses

I wear whatever I'm wearing at the time,which is usually Randolphs or Oakleys.

I don't wear shooting glasses really unless I am at the local ranges which require them.

ESS eyewear!! I switched off oakleys many years ago and I have been very happy with ESS.

If you plan to order I have a 40% dicount code you can use!!

I wear Oakley Nano wire 2.0's but they dont make them any more. when i wear contacts, i am wearing my half jackets with titanium iridium lenses for bright, and vr28 for medium light

Oakley Jawbones. I use the black lenses when it is real bright, and have yellows for lower light conditions.

ive been wearing oakleys for 15 years and have never been disappointed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ESS eyewear!! I switched off oakleys many years ago and I have been very happy with ESS.

If you plan to order I have a 40% dicount code you can use!! </div></div>

Hook a brother up!

I have a pretty heavy prescription for glasses. For anything that I might get hit with something (ie at the range, driving in an open turret, Land Nav or similar) I use ESS ICE with my Rx Insert. If I don't need that much protection, I have a pair of Oakley M-Frames that have my prescription in them. The Oakleys block more light than the ESS, and are more comfortable than the ESS, but due to my prescription, I can't use the Oakleys for anything requiring an impact rating.

If I manage to get Lasik when I return from this deployment, I will be picking up Oakley to start my new, prescription free (hopefully) sunglasses collection.

I wear some radar oakleys. I love them and I can change the lenses if I shoot at different times in the day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oakley flak jackets XLJ's.
    </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oakley flak jackets XLJ's.
    </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

+1

I used to wear Oakleys until I tried a pair of the Maui Jims. The lens quality on the Maui Jim's buries the Oakleys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmm Ok. Maui Jim's

my oakleys are 80 bucks or less. How about those? </div></div>

They cost as much as a Polarized Flak Jacket would run you.

oakley Radars love them. I had some other ones that had a small gap between your forehead, and a 9mm hot casing happened to fall right in between there and just under my eye. After that, those glasses (cheap $15 ones) and i went on a mission to find glasses that met my criteria. tried every single on at sunglass hut and oakley stores.

Love my Rudy Projects. I have the prescription insert and they are clearer than my regular glasses.

I used to be sponsored by Oakley and Rudy Project USA. I wore Rudy's all through Iraq and Afghanistan and will tell you hands down the Rudy's smoke Oakley's in durability, innovation, lens quality, clarity, fit and comfort. I wore them before I was ever sponsored by them and still wear them today (about 10 years now).

I can get any of my SH family a 40% discount. Just e-mail me and I'll get you the info and instructions. I don't make a dime on giving out the discount code. Just want to help out shooters.

Check out their website to see the styles you may/may not like. The Shooters Pack are awesome in that they include the frame, 3 sets of lenses and a case. Too, they are the ONLY major sunglass manufacturer that openly advertise their support of the shooting sports. They state it on their website, shooters are highlighted in their MAIN STREAM not some supplemental advertising/promotion media and they have created 3 teams in the action shooting sports (and are working on a "sniper" match team).

Just e-mail me at: [email protected]

Rich

Check out Decot. They are huge in the shotgun clay target crowd and I have found they work excellent with rifle shooting also.
    You can order them with lenses of any color and add your prescription if needed as well as a bifocal if needed. The lenses are changable in seconds so you can switch them out based on different light conditions.
    You will have about $300 or so into the frames and one set of lenses and usually extra lenses in rx are about $140 ea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ESS eyewear!! I switched off oakleys many years ago and I have been very happy with ESS.

If you plan to order I have a 40% dicount code you can use!! </div></div>

ESS all the way.

FWIW ESS is owned by Oakley.

Thanks very much for these links!
    cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cheap
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/12/bargain-bin-great-deal-on-shooting-glasses/
    lots of info
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s=shooting+glasses
    </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks very much for these links!
    cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cheap
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/12/bargain-bin-great-deal-on-shooting-glasses/
    lots of info
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s=shooting+glasses
    </div></div> </div></div>
    +1 Save your $100 or $200 bucks: you don't need to make a fashion statement to protect your eyes. You can get ANSI Z87+ rated glasses for $10. Plus, they(most) are designed for shooting which means they sit higher on your face which is needed for prone shooting. I think glasses are disposable items: you can lose them, scratch them, and break them quite easily. If my $8 glasses get scratched or damaged, I just whip out another pair from the ever-full box of cheap glasses. When my children or their guest scratch up my new safety glasses...no biggie. Safety glasses are disposable items....unless you decide to spend $200 for them.

Are any of these available with impact rate perscription lens? I'm not talking about the secondary perscription lens that can be inserted into existing glasses, but ones were the primary lens is impat rated and available in perscription?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to be sponsored by Oakley and Rudy Project USA. I wore Rudy's all through Iraq and Afghanistan and will tell you hands down the Rudy's smoke Oakley's in durability, innovation, lens quality, clarity, fit and comfort. I wore them before I was ever sponsored by them and still wear them today (about 10 years now).

I can get any of my SH family a 40% discount. Just e-mail me and I'll get you the info and instructions. I don't make a dime on giving out the discount code. Just want to help out shooters.

Check out their website to see the styles you may/may not like. The Shooters Pack are awesome in that they include the frame, 3 sets of lenses and a case. Too, they are the ONLY major sunglass manufacturer that openly advertise their support of the shooting sports. They state it on their website, shooters are highlighted in their MAIN STREAM not some supplemental advertising/promotion media and they have created 3 teams in the action shooting sports (and are working on a "sniper" match team).

Just e-mail me at: [email protected]

Rich
    </div></div> This is about the 4th Shooting Glass thread I've commented in about Rudy Project. I still own about 5 or 6 pair of Oakley's and I won't knock em at all, BUT look through the Rudy's and determine for yourself. No comparison for me!!

I currently wear Oakley's, but all this talk about Rudy's are getting me curious. Might have to try one eventually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are any of these available with impact rate perscription lens? I'm not talking about the secondary perscription lens that can be inserted into existing glasses, but ones were the primary lens is impat rated and available in perscription? </div></div>

Oakley M-Frames do NOT retain their ballistic impact rating with Rx. I don't know about the rest of their lineup.

If you have a significant Rx I would suggest staying the ESS/Revision eye-wear route with impact rated lens followed by Rx lenses.

Last week I switched back to my Oakley Canteens for a couple days. I had been wearing the ESS Crossbows exclusively for work.

A couple things I immediately noticed. First, the fit of the Crossbow is a lot looser than the Canteen. The Canteen hugs my face and combined with the "Unobtanium" ear pieces they have never moved even during foot pursuits. The Crossbow only contacts my head behind my ears and at the bridge of my nose. I have yet to have them fall off, but I have not been in a long foot pursuit or ground fight with them yet.

The Crossbow has a MUCH better field of view. After getting used to them then putting the Oakley's back on it felt like I was wearing blinders. The optics on the Crossbow also appear clearer than the Canteen, but it's not really a fair comparison because I have been wearing, dropping and abusing the Canteens for two years or more.

I am about done with the review on the Crossbow, then I hope to move on to one of ESS's other offerings. A coworker has a set of ESS CDI's that seem to fit my face better. I am looking forward to giving them a try.

I will say that the Crossbow is an excellent choice for wear on entries. They fit well under a ballistic helmet and the earpieces do not interfere with electronic ear pro.

I am just waiting to take some photos before I wrap up the article.

If you need an idea on lens innovation, for the deep pockets, you can get Rx lenses (not a lens insert to the frame; the Rx in the lens), with photochromic lenses (automatic darkens/lightens with ambient light levels) AND of course...impact resistance.

Rich

Glad to see alot of you ahve been contacting me for the 40% ESS Discount code.

If you need it drop a line!! You only have one set of eyes!!
    smile.gif