• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Glasses

PBWalsh

Preston Walsh Fitness
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
Hi y’all,

Currently in the market for a pair of shooting/protective glasses, non-prescription for now. Not a huge fan of rubber nose pieces, they annoy me.

Bonus points for interchangeable lenses that can go to tinted, prescription, etc. These do not need to be super classy, just protective, durable, good optical clarity, and scratch resistant. I’m know to break quality equipment, so a warranty is almost needed. Need to fit well under ear protection, current cheapo glasses hurt.

Looking at Magpul, Revision, ESS, and Oakley so far. Any experience with these brands or others?

Getting tired of lower quality, scratched up glasses and want something better, so that I actually use the glasses.

Budget is not super important.

Thanks,
PBWalsh

I’ve always been a fan of Oakley’s. I’ve owned several versions over the years.
Most recently I picked up a set of tombstones with multiple lenses. Super fast to change out lenses. And they provide higher coverage so when your prone your not looking out the top of them

Randolph Rangers. Real shooting glasses and Mike at LM Lenses is honest and knowledgeable.

Oakley Flak Jackets. You can get polarized tinted lenses as well as clear ballistic polycarb lenses. Very easy to snap in and out. Have had mine for 8yrs and beat on them

Reactions: PBWalsh
I have a Rudy Project Rydon Performance Kit. Has 7 different sets of lenses, from clear to dark, plus I have one Rx set of photochromic lenses too.
Roka also makes some great glasses. Their 'tactical' glasses are nice as there is no upper frame. Works great from prone - doesn't block the scope.

Ok, maybe not THAT high of budget. Those are nice though!
haha...yeah, they are expensive. But, you've been on the Hide long enough to be familiar with the "go be poor somewhere else" meme (haha).

And in fact, we spend enormous amounts of money on all sorts of rifle stuff and accessories....really enormous amounts...but tend to go cheap with shooting glasses. I don't mean you...its just a recurring theme I'm seen here.

The Randolphs I'm currently wearing are prob 10 years old, the lenses are impeccable, and I've worn them constantly while shooting tournament skeet 14-16 weekends in the summer and constant practice and they have NEVER failed.

So, people think nothing of dropping $200 bucks for a muzzle brake but balk at the same amount for glasses like the Rangers (if you only get one set of lenses you are right at $200). To me, the optical quality, the safety protection, and the fit, the reliability, and the versatility in terms of different tints, polarization, anti-glare, etc make the Randolph's good in my book.

I do understand we all have diff priorities for our $$ and I hope you find some glasses you are happy with.

Cheers

I use Revision & Oakley's. Just ordered extra non-prescription Revisions' StingerHawk yesterday!
It's the best insurance for protecting your vision in a violent sport.
Protecting them in $10 Pelican cases is the next best inve$tment.

IMG_6696 copy.jpg

Reactions: 07SGT4623
I’m running Oakley’s lots of options regarding lens. Another option would be Hunters HD gold a lot guys l shoot steel challenge and knock down steel matches with speak highly of them.

I have the Oakleys with a few sets of lenses. Completely happy and like the fact I don't have to baby them.

haha...yeah, they are expensive. But, you've been on the Hide long enough to be familiar with the "go be poor somewhere else" meme (haha).

And in fact, we spend enormous amounts of money on all sorts of rifle stuff and accessories....really enormous amounts...but tend to go cheap with shooting glasses. I don't mean you...its just a recurring theme I'm seen here.

The Randolphs I'm currently wearing are prob 10 years old, the lenses are impeccable, and I've worn them constantly while shooting tournament skeet 14-16 weekends in the summer and constant practice and they have NEVER failed.

So, people think nothing of dropping $200 bucks for a muzzle brake but balk at the same amount for glasses like the Rangers (if you only get one set of lenses you are right at $200). To me, the optical quality, the safety protection, and the fit, the reliability, and the versatility in terms of different tints, polarization, anti-glare, etc make the Randolph's good in my book.

I do understand we all have diff priorities for our $$ and I hope you find some glasses you are happy with.

Cheers
I’m with you people talk all day about optics and spend all kinds of money on stuff but not on equipment that you will be practically looking through all day.I been shooting with decot’s for a while,older pair that was given to me. Went to go shoot 5stand one day and forgot them ended up borrowing my friends randolphs and they were very comfortable and lenses clarity was amazing. Think I’m going to order me a set looking at the edge right now.

Reactions: Baron23
Another vote for Oakley Tombstones. Oakley quality lenses. Good coverage. Come in a number of shades, including purple tint, which is great if you do trap/skeet shooting. And I LOVE how easy it is to switch between lenses, which I do constantly depending on light conditions. Had mine 3-4 years now and they've held up well, but I tend to be careful with my sunglasses.

Had a pair of prescription Randolphs which I no longer use (prescription changed). They are extremely well made, but mine wrapped around the back of my ear, which I found to be pretty uncomfortable.

Reactions: Near miss
Look at the Smith Elite line. i have them in clear and polarized.

Years ago switched to them from Oakley and have been happy.

I dont think they offer the Elite with their Chromapop lenses, but those are pretty great for daily wear.

I’m with you people talk all day about optics and spend all kinds of money on stuff but not on equipment that you will be practically looking through all day.I been shooting with decot’s for a while,older pair that was given to me. Went to go shoot 5stand one day and forgot them ended up borrowing my friends randolphs and they were very comfortable and lenses clarity was amazing. Think I’m going to order me a set looking at the edge right now.
I wore Dycot Hy-Wyd’s for years also but like Randolph a bit better.

At the lower end, but way better than “cheap” safety glasses are these 3M Flat Temple safety glasses. They come in clear, amber, and grey (maybe more?). $10.

The flat temples work well with ear muffs. The lenses are very clear and distortion-free.

I don’t have enough time on them to report back about scratch-resistance. They do have rubber U-shaped nose-pads.

Ok, liking the Oakley Ms more, plus the price is nice. How are y’all liking the fit beneath ear muffs?

Not worried about clay shooting, just rifle, pistol, and the occasional shotgun (non-sporting variety).

I use Howard Leight’s with after market gel cups. The fit is better and they are more comfortable than stock ones. I haven’t had any issues with any of the Oakley style glasses.

Ok, liking the Oakley Ms more, plus the price is nice. How are y’all liking the fit beneath ear muffs?

Not worried about clay shooting, just rifle, pistol, and the occasional shotgun (non-sporting variety).
The 3.0 are great they are supper thin and don’t disrupt Ear pro.

I’ve have several versions over the years the only thing I didnt like was changing the lenses always felt like I was going to stamp something except that one time where I actual did snap the frame.
Primary reason I switched to the tombstones

Personally I’ll never buy another pair of Oakleys again. Crap plastic frame broke while deployed, without even major trauma to the frame; lens and nosepiece were fine.

Contacted Oakley when stateside and they didn’t cover the broke frame, I’m okay with that. But, they wouldn’t sell just a replacement frame and would only sell another set of glasses for a couple hundred dollars.

Zemplar, prior to my retirement, I worked in the commercial insurance business and Oakley's parent company Luxottica of Italy, was my client. I have been to Foothill Ranch where Oakleys are made. The military products are made on a different floor because they are mil-spec. I can tell you that Oakley replaces any military gear and broken product goes to their QA for failure analysis.

Zemplar, prior to my retirement, I worked in the commercial insurance business and Oakley's parent company Luxottica of Italy, was my client. I have been to Foothill Ranch where Oakleys are made. The military products are made on a different floor because they are mil-spec. I can tell you that Oakley replaces any military gear and broken product goes to their QA for failure analysis.
Forgot to mention that I use Oakleys but just picked up Rudy Project Tralyx with the clip in cheaters. Not cheap btw, but I can see the damn turrets.

MickeyRat, my sentiments above were a couple of years prior to their Luxottica merger. Hopefully they still don’t treat their customers as poorly. Other than that very poor experience, I did like the shades when they worked. I still won’t buy another pair though.

Reactions: MickeyRat