• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shooting High

actionshooter10

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
I recently received my Larue 7.62 OBR. I put a Leupold Mk 4 LR/T 3.5-10 with M3 turrets on an American Defense Recon QD mount.

I'm shooting 168grn Gold Metal Match.

I'm getting .5-.75 moa groups but the rifle is consistently shooting high. It's 1" high at 50, 4.5" high at 100, and 9" high at 200.

I have the scope dialed all the way down and didn't want to mess with the set screws.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm 1" high at 50, I should be about .5" low at 100.

I know that the OBR has a 20 moa rail on it and am wondering if the AD mount I'm using is the 20 moa version rather than the neutral mount I ordered. Is there any way to check this?

Would this cause the issue I'm having or is there something I'm overlooking?

Thanks for you help

Re: Shooting High

Plug the numbers into a ballistic calculator. I think you will find the numbers about right. Your scope to bore height is much higher than a bolt action. The bullet is rising at a good angle when it crosses line of sight at 50 and still climbing at 100. Should be near its max height some where around the 200 mark. Probably approx a 300 yd zero as is. Unless its a helium core bullet.

that mount is almost 1.5" high, correct? you could drop down to a 1" mount like the pepr and still have room to spare, or use lower rings. That would give you better bore to scope height.

Also, some model loopys have stops for every full rotation. you have to loosen the set screws and it will allow you to "jump" the stop and dial down another full turn. I have no idea what purpose that feature serves tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plug the numbers into a ballistic calculator. I think you will find the numbers about right. Your scope to bore height is much higher than a bolt action. The bullet is rising at a good angle when it crosses line of sight at 50 and still climbing at 100. Should be near its max height some where around the 200 mark. Probably approx a 300 yd zero as is. Unless its a helium core bullet. </div></div>

All of my numbers show 5.3" high at 100 and 6.1" high at 200 with a 300 yard zero.

I'm going to adjust the set screw and zero it at 100. I'll report back what happens at that point. I feel like it's a rifle problem but we'll see.

It sounds like you have a zero stop that needs to be adjusted due to the 20 MOA. The rifle is fine
wink.gif
. LaRues are awesome rifles but they can't adjust your optics for you. I have a OBR 7.62 and it took me a bit to get my first scope, a Leupold, zeroed in at 100. I upgraded my scope, but still have the leupold for some reason. I'll probably throw it on my next rifle
laugh.gif

If you happened to get a mount with MOA built in either exchange it or reverse it. 40 MOA is a lot for most scopes to overcome.