• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting in front of my house...

Slowstang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2009
Sacramento, CA
So two nights ago I was sound asleep when I heard 5 gunshots outside of my bedroom window.

Let me preface this saying I live with my parents which live in a nice neighborhood. We have a guard to get into the neighborhood. However, apparently some of our "wonderful" neighbors are not so wonderful. They threw a big party in which an argument spilled into the street and 5 shots were fired. We called the Sheriff's Dept., they took 30min. to arrive.

That left my uncomfortable to say the least.

After the shots were fired I was realizing my self defense/ family defense plan was not going to cut it. My Glock was in storage and the only gun at the house was my bolt action rifle.

So here are my questions...

What is your defense plan, what weapons, and how do you store them safely yet have them ready to defend yourself and your loved ones.

Oh yeah, we recovered 5 9mm casings 15 feet from my bedroom window.

Re: Shooting in front of my house...

i would get that glock out of storage for sure. if you have young ones in the house then i would put in a little safe in your bedroom. if you dont have to worry about that then i would keep it in my night stand. i keep my kimber 1911 .45 in the night stand becuase if there is an emergency i do not want to be fumbling with a dial.

We have a couple quick safes in different parts of the house. Since we have a little one running around.

Also set the house up to make it harder to enter. Meaning lights. Bushes in front of windows but kept trimmed so as to not block out the window or create another hiding space. Alarm system and actually use it. Dogs make a great deterrent as well.

I would get the Glock out quickly and get a safe for it.

It's a good idea to be prepared to defend yourself and your family.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper

I'll definitely be picking up my glock from storage. I'm also considering buying a shotgun, probably a Remington 870 pump. I like the idea of having a little more fire power and I think if a shooting happened in a house I'd rather be armed with a shotgun than a handgun.

I'd rather be armed with an AR15. When it's loaded with 55 grain bullets, there's less of an overpenetration risk than there is with 00 buckshot, and more magazine capacity to boot.

See:

The Box of Truth

I have my shotgun loaded with #4 lead shot so there's no over penetration but plenty of lead.

Shotgun....for a number of reasons:

- cost
- ease of use (you, your wife, older child could learn how to use it easily and effectively)
- choice of ammunition (non-lethal, light-penetrating, etc...)
- the sound of chambering alone is enough to make a man stop in his tracks and "think" for a split second...it has the "Oh shit, what did I just do" factor

You could easily mount a flashlight if ya wanted.

...and if you wanted to go hunting ya could!

win win all the way around.

I have a Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88.

My Kimber 1911 is in a gunvault (small gunsafe) by my bed. If I need more firepower, and have time to get it, I have a 9mm machinegun that should take care of anything else around the house.

Thanks Lindy, I completely agree. That is one reason I am asking for advice. The main and rather large problem is my Mom is totally anti-gun. I hope she warms up to the idea after this incident. Sometimes she doesn't mind the guns in the house other times she had us (my father and I) put them in storage.

I would love an ar-15 however I live in California, I feel that I would loose the main advantage of the ar-15 platform because of the restrictive gun laws.

Sorry - I hadn't realized that you live in the PRC. Flee!
frown.gif

A shotgun isn't a bad alternative.

Its all good Lindy. Hopefully if all goes well I'll be a Reserve Officer in the next 6 months then I'll be able to pick up my own AR-15.

I like the idea of the gunvault. Any particular small guns safes to look at or stay away from?

Slowandsteady,
I work at a gun range/store here in Albuquerque and I see it all the time. People that are new and unexperienced with firearms. Some come with friends and family and some are semi anti-gun.

The first step is to get them into a gun range. Second step is to show them gun safety and gun fun.

Next important step, is for them to pull a trigger. If all goes well, we "usually" have a convert. Their anti-gun opinions and beliefs start to melt away.

Baby steps. Being anti-guns is like being anti-baseball bats. Or screwdrivers. Guns are just a tool. Fun tools.

Good luck and keep at it. It may take time.

-Mike

Serious decisions require serious thought and data. If you have access to some of the best information out there you should use it.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881
"As long as penetration and upset remain adequate, it is possible to use lighter weight non-fragmenting bullets and still have outstanding terminal performance. With fragmenting designs, a heavier bullet is ideal, as it provides more potential fragments and still allows the central core to have enough mass for adequate penetration. In addition, heavier bullets may have an advantage at longer ranges due to better BC and less wind drift."

http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91

READ and get away from information which is not accurate.
Box of truth is interesting/cute but not that informative and not that great a help. there have been very, very few documentated cases of "over penatration" hits and barrier performance comes from knowing your fields of fire and TRAINING. Going with projectiles you think might not get through walls and giving away peformance in the process is not a reasonable trade. Even if you pick the lightest/fastest projectile you MUST have the same fields of fire knowledge and cannot assume you won't shoot through anyway. you also end up with a projectile which is not able to perform as it needs to.

LOTS of good information from one of THE guys at the above URL.

I know the macho thing about the machine gun sounds good especially in type, but it would be the last weapon I would reach for in the case of an invasion. I have few rules, but if you have the balls to enter my space, I have no mercy on you, meaning I intend to kill you and anyone else that is with you. Knowing this going in, I would eliminate several options from my defensive weapon or weapons. First I would never you a Class III weapon, machine gun, for defense. It is way too easy to persuade a jury that excessive force was used, and the rest of the garbage they spew. Next, I have many suppressors, but they would never be mounted to my home defense weapons, again way to easy for the legal system to turn it around against you. I also hand load most all my ammo, that said, I would never use a hand load in any defensive gun, again the legal system can turn the actions around and make you out to be some Waco. The so called experts could not duplicate your ballistics, for either side of the argument and there have been many cases where the home loader was convicted and made to look like a fool or at least a "gun nut". I could really see them if you have class III weapons, suppressors and God forbid over 1000 rounds or more!
I like to keep my home defense guns very simple and very normal, that means I do not use any of my so called expensive or collectable guns for this duty. Instead, I tend to use ordinary, very cheap and common handguns, and I keep the calibers in mid-range, meaning no super large calibers that might be used against me. Yes I agree a 45, 44Mag or 500S&W are great man stoppers, but I do not think them practical in a home defense situation. I keep 9mm, .380Auto guns in various location that are handy yet hidden from most people. I keep at a minimum 2 full magazine with each gun, some have three, and all guns have a full magazine installed, but nothing chambered where there is no hammer, and on the ones with a hammer, the round is chambered, so you just pull the trigger (DA/SA).
I to live in an up-scale neighborhood full of new houses and nice neighbors, but that does not mean much these days, in some ways it makes you more of a potential risk. One thing I notice most people do that I have never understood, is to live the garage door open all the time? That is just begging for trouble. Stay safe, stay sharp, and stay simple.

I have a 18" barreled 870 12 gauge right between the wall and my bed in a home made holster like thing that has 4 rounds in this order. Bean bag, rubber ball shot, birdshot, then 00 buck. If the first 2 won't make them leave the the next 2 won't let them. Same setup on the side saddle on the reciever. And my AR isn't to far away either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 4 rounds in this order. Bean bag, rubber ball shot, birdshot, then 00 buck. If the first 2 won't make them leave the the next 2 won't let them. </div></div>

Screw that. Mine has the mag tube extension and is full up with buckshot. If they are in my house and a threat they will be stopped.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4 rounds in this order, Bean bag, rubber ball shot, birdshot, then 00 buck. If the first 2 won't make them leave the the next 2 won't let them. </div></div>

Permision to use this in my signature line? That is brilliant, and my thoughts finally conveyed into words....lol.

There's a reason why it took them 30 minutes to respond - that should concern you more.

Hint: addresses with known drug activity + shots fired report = slow response. That way the BGs have time to clear out before the LEs arrive so they don't have to deal with what was a violent situation, then get on with being historians.

Welcome to our polite society young man. It was all part of your initiation into it, locked gate with guard or otherwise.

OK, first. I am not a lawyer. I have never lived in CA. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I am 37 years old. I was raised around guns. Every gun in our home was loaded and ready to go. There were rifles, shotguns, all over the house. My father kept a .357 in his closet and another under his pillow on the bed. By the time I was old enough to reach them, I was taught to never touch one of them unless I had a real need, or permission.

My brothers and I were always out shooting cans and squirrels, pigeons, etc. We knew at a very young age that if we messed up and didn't kill ourselves, Daddy woud make us wish we had.

I was a senior in HS before we ever had a safe in the house.

The people who are always advocating to keep firearms locked up are the ones who should learn to parent their children, instead of expecting someone else to do it.

I remember at 10 or 11 years old, I found a old single shot 22 and showed the owner (my neighbor) how to clean it, as it had probably never even been wiped out.

As far as waiting on the police. They do not ever get there in time to prevent anything. In fact the US Supreme Court has ruled that they are not responsible to.

Defend yourself and your loved ones. No one else will.

<span style="font-style: italic">Training</span> and a better understanding of your local laws and customs plus an understanding of ballistics is in order.

Lastly, since many of us can not alter our site and floor plans (where it all begins - right?) we should look at how we secure doors and windows, exterior lighting, plantings; and how we maintain those plantings. From there we can talk about routes and routines and so much more.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yknot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know the macho thing about the machine gun sounds good especially in type, but it would be the last weapon I would reach for in the case of an invasion.
</div></div>

It's the best gun I've got for home defense. I don't see a point in owning it if I don't plan to use it. There have actually been documented cases of people using them for home defense.

Here's what it comes down to for me. If you're going to use deadly force to stop someone in your home, I plan to use the best gun I've got. I'm not going to grab my Makarov because I'm worried about the police taking my Kimber into evidence if I use it. I'm not going to worry that some liberal member of the jury might not like the way my EOTech looks on the gun or whether my gun has a forward grip. If that stuff helps, I'll use it. I shoot the machinegun the most right now, it handles great and I've got nothing better for around the house.

I understand your argument, but disagree.

Shawn

Exactly as how I feel. That is why I have a cheapy .38 special revolver for my fiance and a p228 9mm for myself, both loaded with hollow point. Nicer (higher cost) guns in the safe.

As to AR in Cali, no, you don't want to deal with the legality of the current gun ban laws. A longer barrel (min. 16") carbine, with 10rnd limitation and a BB (bullet bottom) mag release????? Definitely not for home defense. I take my pistols at any day.
wink.gif

I'm sorry, I just don't get the bean bag then buckshot thing. If someone breaks into my house with my family asleep I am going to do everything in my power to prevent him from harming myself or my family and possibly even make sure he doesn't do it again to someone else. For me, I don't see a bean bag doing the trick.
laugh.gif

But if that ain't your thing ... that's cool, too.
smile.gif

I say screw the bean bag and rubber, if I have to pull the trigger it is because i feel my family could be in danger, that being said i am looking to stop the threat immediately by whatever means neccesary (even if deadly force). think about the pending lawsuit you have when you paralyze the intruder with rubber/bean bag. dead intruders don't have any 2nd offenses PERIOD!!!

For now I have the Gun portion worked out. I'll be using my Glock 22 with extra mag standing by. I'll be picking up a Gunvault soon to store it in as well as a weapon light. I have my surefire E1B backup ready to grab as well.

Either when I move out or mom gets a little more comfortable with guns in the house, I'll pick up a Remington 870 Pump or a semi-auto shotgun.

The bean bags / less lethal isn't the best idea in my opinion. The only way I'm going to shoot someone is if the situation warrants it and when that happens I do want to scare someone, I want to incapacitate them.

Either shotgun I get will have a mounted weapon light on it.

ar-15 with loaded 30 rnd mag...all my other guns are locked up...like most people say dont worry about using leathel force...people who come into your home and force u to use a gun dont deserve a second thought

When seconds count the police are just minutes away...

Be prepared.

Can't remember where I heard this but it is a good one.
I have a pistol to shoot my way to my shotgun.
I have a shotgun to shoot my way to my S/A rifle.
I have a precision rifle so I won't need to use any of the above

Now I lay me down to sleep...a dozen victim operated crush wires ready for their feet. If the crush wires do not a corpse make...30 5.56 rounds through their heart like a stake.

Gotta put that IED knowledge to use somehow.
smile.gif

I saw a pic of a young teenage girl holding a pink ar-15 and the punch line was, "Darn, I knew i should have broken into the house next door!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 18" barreled 870 12 gauge right between the wall and my bed in a home made holster like thing that has 4 rounds in this order. Bean bag, rubber ball shot, birdshot, then 00 buck. If the first 2 won't make them leave the the next 2 won't let them. Same setup on the side saddle on the reciever. And my AR isn't to far away either. </div></div>

So when he's shot with a tec 9, they will be looking for a guy with 1 or 2 bruises ?????

I will nominate this for Liberal response #3. After trying to reason with them and showing them where your wife and daughter sleep!

I recommend a remington 870 with polyshok, and give them two warning shots to the chest.

I also live with my parents. I've been raised as treat a gun as it's loaded because it is in my house.

No little ones. They Sleep upstairs. I'm down stairs against the front of the house at the end of the hall.

I keep a sig p220r elite sao loaded with an extra mag both full of gold dots. There's a good flashlight next to it

behind the door is a 870 tactical with 00 buck followed 1 hydroshock slug

my father has an xdm 9mm way to many loaded mags in his bathroom upstairs

I'll wake up before they do and some 00 buck backed clearing a hallway easy and the slug is there for good measure

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prbulldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend a remington 870 with polyshok, and give them two warning shots to the chest.</div></div>

Someone breaking in my house with my family in it? I'll give them a warning shot alright ... two rounds of 00 buck right thru the boiler room.

(And I'll bet I can get both in before he hits his knees. I'm an artist with an 870.
smile.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slowandsteady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So two nights ago I was sound asleep when I heard 5 gunshots outside of my bedroom window.

Let me preface this saying I live with my parents which live in a nice neighborhood. We have a guard to get into the neighborhood. However, apparently some of our "wonderful" neighbors are not so wonderful. They threw a big party in which an argument spilled into the street and 5 shots were fired. We called the Sheriff's Dept., they took 30min. to arrive.

That left my uncomfortable to say the least.

After the shots were fired I was realizing my self defense/ family defense plan was not going to cut it. My Glock was in storage and the only gun at the house was my bolt action rifle.

So here are my questions...

What is your defense plan, what weapons, and how do you store them safely yet have them ready to defend yourself and your loved ones.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Oh yeah, we recovered 5 9mm casings 15 feet from my bedroom window. </span></div></div>

Shouldn't the Police be doing that, for evidence, in case it goes to court?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 18" barreled 870 12 gauge right between the wall and my bed in a home made holster like thing that has 4 rounds in this order. Bean bag, rubber ball shot, birdshot, then 00 buck. If the first 2 won't make them leave the the next 2 won't let them. Same setup on the side saddle on the reciever. And my AR isn't to far away either. </div></div>

So when he's shot with a tec 9, they will be looking for a guy with 1 or 2 bruises ?????

I will nominate this for Liberal response #3. After trying to reason with them and showing them where your wife and daughter sleep! </div></div>

If I had a wife or kids I'd probably think differently. But I live alone, If somebody was to break in to just steal things I would hate to think I took a life over a $600 stereo. Doesn't matter if they are good or bad, it's still a life. In my head those first 2 rounds are worth it. And no sir I am not a Liberal.

I take my kid to the range and let her shoot until she gets bored with it that way when she sees a gun at home its no big deal to her and she goes on her merry way.

If the time ever comes that I have to shoot someone they wont get any warning. They made the choice to become a threat and by then the time for intimidation is long over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 18" barreled 870 12 gauge right between the wall and my bed in a home made holster like thing that has 4 rounds in this order. Bean bag, rubber ball shot, birdshot, then 00 buck. If the first 2 won't make them leave the the next 2 won't let them. Same setup on the side saddle on the reciever. And my AR isn't to far away either. </div></div>

I had a similar thought on loading my Mossberg with "escalating" ammo, but then decided against it. If someone is going to break in during the day when my wife and I are at work, that's one thing. If they break in at night, with cars in the driveway, and lights/TV on, you must assume they are prepared for a confrontation, and plan to do you harm. If they weren't looking for trouble, why wouldn't they pick an un-occupied house?
Under that assumption, I don't believe an intruder is entitled to any second chances or "warnings". bean bags and rubber balls are toys you give a kid. They chose to enter my home illegally and force me to defend myself and family. What they get is what they get.
My Mossberg is now loaded in the following order: 1-1/4oz slug 1-1/4oz slug, 1-1/4oz slug, 1-1/4oz slug, etc...
My first choice for home defense, though, would be my AR.
Shorter and easier to maneuver, no action to cycle and less recoil for faster follow up shots (if needed), and greater ammo capacity. Loaded with Hornady TAP, and equipped with an Insight Tech. light/ laser combo, and an Aimpoint, it's a winning combination. And if youre looking to intimidate the intruder, it'll get that job done too.

Sig p226 Blackwater 20-round clips loaded with CorBon and flashlight within reach when sleeping. Sig p239, glock 26, or Kahr PM9 on person when awake.

Benelli Supernova with extended tube loaded with 00 buck and Glock 17 loaded with 2 extra magazines in metal lock-box which can be accessed quickly if things go wrong.

LWRC M6A2 with tactical grip bipod/light if things really go wrong.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but when you're in trouble, the police are only minutes away. Of course, lots could happen in seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Kimber 1911 is in a gunvault (small gunsafe) by my bed. If I need more firepower, and have time to get it, I have a 9mm machinegun that should take care of anything else around the house. </div></div>

Something tells me that i'm going to be reading about you in the paper should someone be dumb enough to break into your place. Of course I live close enough, I might just hear it. Just be careful, I don't think the KC Star is gun friendly, nor a second amendment supporter.

My home defense situation thus far is a shotgun with buckshot. The wife doesn't really know how to use it, and I hound her non-stop that I want her to work with it enough to be proficient enough to be able to effectively employ it. My wife is exceptionally stubborn however. I've been working on her about getting a compact 9mm handgun that she likes, and something that I can conceal carry when desired. Again, my wife is stubborn. She said yes once, and I got all excited and started getting ideas, and drew up proposals, and then she changed her mind. It scares the heck out of me that she's so complacent being that I work evenings, and she's here alone with the girls most of the night. I've been working a lot of overtime lately so that just leaves more time that she's here by herself.

I'm more worried about what's going to force her to change her mind, than how i'm going to get her to change her thinking.

Branden

Branden,
I'm in exactly the same boat.I can't even get my wife to go to the range to learn how to shoot. Also stubborn, she insists it's "not her thing". We live 1 town away from Cheshire Ct, where 2 men broke into a doctor's house and killed his wife and kids and then set the house on fire. I don't understand how you can hear a story like that and still not want to take some responsibility for your own safety.
It just bothers the shit out of me that with all the guns in our house, if someone broke in when I wasn't home, she would be unarmed. That's like having a state of the art alarm system and not learning how to set it.
If you figure out a way to get through to your wife, please let me know how you did it.

Sorry for the multiple posts here folks, i'm late to the party, and trying to catch up. The following excludes active military, and LEo's.

The tough talk in here is killing me. I'm not trying to put down anyones plans, plans are good, but it's easy to "talk" of killing someone, it's totally different to chamber that round knowing that you may end someones life. You can think about it, or even train for it (somehow, I haven't figured out how to yet), but everything goes out the door when it becomes real. The poster that spoke of bean bags and rubber balls seems to have a bit of a grasp on this. He knows those first 2 aren't going to kill, and he'll be more apt to take those shots sooner.

BTW, you folks using AR's for HD, just so you know what to expect, make sure you treat yourself to the experience of firing one indoors without earplugs. Don't be a sissy and put the plugs or muffs on, 'cause you know you're not going to do that at home before you go check out the funny noise that woke you. After you do that, come back on here and tell me what your primary is going to switch to. Adrenaline or not, a full house load from an AR indoors, is a lot like getting a right hook from [insert boxer name here], it will mess with you.

Ok, i'm going to get off my soap box here, and go to bed. If my ramblings don't make sense, it's because i'm very tired, and i'm sure i'll edit this in the morning after some sleep.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Branden,
I'm in exactly the same boat.I can't even get my wife to go to the range to learn how to shoot. Also stubborn, she insists it's "not her thing". We live 1 town away from Cheshire Ct, where 2 men broke into a doctor's house and killed his wife and kids and then set the house on fire. I don't understand how you can hear a story like that and still not want to take some responsibility for your own safety.
It just bothers the shit out of me that with all the guns in our house, if someone broke in when I wasn't home, she would be unarmed. That's like having a state of the art alarm system and not learning how to set it.
If you figure out a way to get through to your wife, please let me know how you did it. </div></div>

You mean besides beating her? lol. Just kidding. I'll let you know. Maybe the drug dealer across the street will get shot up, i'm sure that'll work. Anyone want to have target practice on a drug dealer? I'll supply the address.

Branden

Just a view from across the Pond.....

My late father-in-law's (Battle of Bulge vet) "home defense policy" involved a German Mauser bayonet he had won in a hand-to-hand contest with a German feldwebel.

He produced it once when some vermin decided to shortcut through his house whilst trying to evade police. The vermin froze and was caught by the police who simply told Ralph to put the blade away....before the officer "saw it"! These days he would have been taken in as well and charged with possesion of an offensive weapon.

These days any SHTF home defense plan I may have could involve a .22LR self-loading AR clone with Mini Mag Velocitors and a 1917 Mauser Sawback bayonet. Maybe not ideal but all can I legally own over here on my certificate and as a collector of antique edged weapons.

If I was ever put in a position of having to implement such a plan I'd probably be put away for a very long time unless I had a lawyer who could prove that I used justifiable and reasonable force and genuinely had reason to fear for my life or the life of my wife/kids.

Branden.... I don't think any sane person would say this would ever be an "easy" decision but it'd get a much clearer focus if some asshole with a gun comes through the door and threatens my wife and/or kids

We have a quick safe bedside with the wife's five-seven/light and laser and my HK 45 and a surefire on end table. My everyday 1911 sits on top of the fridge. Anyone in the house at night has intentions that rule out warning shots or real bad luck. At least here in NC we still have the good sense to have Castle Doctrine to include your house, outbuildings and barns.

+1 I use Hornady 52 Grain varmint loads.Less risk for over-penetration and I can write my name on a bad guys forehead, even with sleep in my eyes. I'm just not a pistol guy.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd rather be armed with an AR15. When it's loaded with 55 grain bullets, there's less of an overpenetration risk than there is with 00 buckshot, and more magazine capacity to boot.

See:

The Box of Truth </div></div>