• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting in inclement weather

DRandi

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 24, 2014
I’m only up to episode 31, (listening to all of them in order) so if this is covered in a later episode please direct me to it. You mentioned in a previous episode about shooting a match where it was so muddy you had to take a garden hose to your gear afterward. That’s the weather prediction here in Florida for the next two weeks. I think it would be a great training experience to get out in less than ideal conditions to practice.

I build my rifles with as many corrosion resistant parts as feasible, aluminum, titanium, synthetic parts. I also Cerakote as much as I can for more layers of protection, but I don’t want to damage something unnecessarily due to carelessness.

Questions are;

1. What do you do to protect parts that have to be run as is, like triggers, firing pins, interior of the bolt? I have a CG Xtreme mod 22 in my model 70. Housing is steel. Say I’m out in the field and it’s been raining all day. Not a monsoon, not a light drizzle, just normal rain. Now it’s going to sit in the truck for however long on the ride back home before I can break it down and clean. What is you experience with keeping things going in the field under adverse conditions and preventing corrosion?

2. I know about putting tape over the muzzle to keep water out. That works good till the first shot is fired. What about out in the field firing multiple shots, like a training day in the rain? Will sending rounds down range with rain drops getting in the barrel cause damage due to liquids not being compressible?

3. Would it be a good idea to hose down the rifle with a light oil like WD-40 or Kroil to try and displace any moisture till the rifle can be properly broken down and clean?

Any words of wisdom to protect expensive gear would be appreciated.

Thank you
David