• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting in rain

thexman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
Going to a local match, but found the weather would not be good, just wonder what gears might be useful or helpful when shooting prone in the wet? Would tarps and rain pants be enough?

Thanks.

I wear a hailey hansen coat, pants and some muck boots if its gonna be super rainy, so far been good at keeping me dry.

Make sure you bring stuff to keep your glass dry and action clean.

ECWS type pants and jacket work for me.

Being wet is one thing a wet scope lens is another.

Consider a sun shade and having clean cloth on hand to try to keep some water off your lenses.

Seeing is going to be your biggest ass ache if there is that much rain.

Frogg Toggs are cheap and will get the job done.
If you are a hunter quality rain gear is required and now has a second excuse to purchase.
A scope cover is handy as well.

R

Reactions: thexman
Keeping yourself dry is nice. Keeping your scope clear is important. Keeping your ammo dry is imperative. One drop of water can lock your action shut and will cause you to go way overpressure. No matter what else you do, keep your ammo dry.

Reactions: tnc
4" sunshade, or an expendable scope cap with a 3/8" hole drilled into it an a Vee cut in the bottom to allow the water entering to drain out. Wide brim hat, quality rain suite an a mat that raises you at least 1" off the ground to allow drainage. 3/4" Styrofoam (cut/folded like an accordion) held together with duck tape an a mat work well.

Reactions: Gun.Nut
1 drop lock it up? Not had that happen yet.

Guess that explains nato ammo slop in 5.56 pretty much being necessary.

They sell those backpacking type sleeping pads. Fold up, light, closed cell 25-30$ ?

Best thing you can do is stop by Costco. Pick up the big ass box of extra wide, mile long roll of saran wrap. Attach one end to the top of your scope, the other end to the top of the target. Now it'll be just like shooting without rain, and problem solved!

Fucking newbies man, I tell 'ya!

Seriously? I like shooting in the rain, less people around usually. There's some skill to be learned in it, atmosphere is obviously different. Rain doesn't act on the bullet as much as you'd think due to velocity, but it does happen. Chances are you won't be shooting in a goddamn downpour anyway. As for comfort, we usually would setup one of those portable awnings or whatever you call 'em. You could make one with PVC pipe, a tarp and some bungee straps. A little dry spot on the firing line just for you and your buddies.

But training at Ft. Lewis where it rained all the time, half the time shooting in the rain was no different than shooting in the sun. Nothing changed really, you just sucked it up. But I'd personally prefer either the gortex suit or the goretex wet weather gear as a minimum if I didn't have an awning to stand under.

Worst part about shooting and living in the rain is keeping the damn weapon clean and rust free.

Good quality rain gear, glass cleaning kit/wipes/cloth, a sunshade (helps keep the rain off, too), and an Armageddon Gear trojan - that's my standard shooting in the rain kit.