• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Long Range in Virginia with the buds

JSTARSZ

Lefty's Rule
Minuteman
  • Feb 6, 2008
    Wolftown
    What's cool about Sniper's Hide is the people you meet through this forum, thanks Lowlight, that you would never have gotten to meet otherwise. I had the distinct pleasure of going to visit R. Walters at his home in Northern Virginia and got to meet his family and girlfriend - very nice family and beautiful girlfriend. I had a great time chatting and discussing gun stuff all day long as that is always a great day. R. Walters has a very nice range at his house that allowed us to set-up steel from 200 yards out to 825 yards. we got down to business looking at each others toys and we all had a little different set-up which was good as we got a chance to look at and shoot other peoples set-up. My normal shooting partner and I are both left handed and R. Walters is a right handed so he was shooting my left handed rifle from the right side. It was interesting to see.

Got some decent pictures but to be honest I actually forgot to take a picture of the range as I was too preoccupied taking pictures of the buds shooting their rifles. Next time I will take a picture of the steel.

Some of the toys: There is a Short Action Custom (308) in the center flanked by my Multi-Cam Blackops Precision Recon (Creedmoor) and R Walters 308 Surgeon Action.

As we looked back at the picture we all commented, that is a lot of money sitting there and all kind of laughed nervously of course.

R. Walter shooting the Blackops Recon from the right side.

The mirage was kicking our butt today at the 825 yards and the 30" steel plate was hit some; but, the mirage was kicking up to the point where I think I had my USO set on 10 magnification most of the day...anymore and it would totally blur the target.

R. Walters, I want to thank you for a great day of shooting and much thanks to your family as well. We shall do it again soon

Last edited:

Thanks for the good times fellas. I had a blast. Heres JSTARSZ on the right and his friend Chris on the left.

Lookin forward to that BBQ next weekend for sure! We will have to try our luck on the 820 berm in a few weeks when we can see it!

That Blackops build is something else! SICK!!!!

See you in a week fellas.

Again, Thanks for the great time!!!

I do need another friend! Next time i shoot at the house ill PM you! The Mirage was not horrible. It was past horrible! God awful! At 100 it looked like an ocean!

Did any of yall come out the the shoot we had in Chester on Saturday? I think the head count was around 150 or so. Not much long range or even mid range shooting but we sure did tear up some cars, propane tanks and a lot of tanerite. I still cant get my can off the host from all the carbon build up even with the QD. its all fused together. I guess thats what a can and 1/2 of 308 will do.

I do need another friend! Next time i shoot at the house ill PM you! The Mirage was not horrible. It was past horrible! God awful! At 100 it looked like an ocean!

Sounds good R., I look forward to it. At 600 yards today I thought the same thing about looking into an ocean but the light breeze was nice.

Keep me in mind next time guys.. Please???
    I'm in NOVA and unfortunately haven't shot past 100 yards.
    I have some cool toyz you guys will enjoy, promise, if I don't deliver, ammo is on me. LOL.
    Love to stretch out and see what my 50 BMG Barrett can do.
    I also have couple LRI rifles being built as and should be ready soon, I'm waiting on the Manner's t4a stock on one of them.

Oh yeah, rub in just cause I couldn't make it!

Looks look a great time, sorry I missed it but I'll be there soon enough!

Where the heck were you guys when I was stationed in Va Beach? I definitely would have taken the drive to shoot past 300. Looks like a fun time!

Looks like a great place to shoot. I haven't had the opportunity to meet up with anyone on here yet but I'm sure I will one of these days.

Oh yeah, rub in just cause I couldn't make it!

Looks look a great time, sorry I missed it but I'll be there soon enough!
    you were missed T2CH...I am waiting to see that TACOPS get done so we can wring it out on some long range. Put this SUnday on your Calendar we can meet up at PSC for some shooting.

That looks like a lot of fun.

Good weather, good people, great rifles and a private range.

When you add BBQ to that mix you may have the ingredients for a perfect day.

Ring the steel for me guys.

where abouts in Northern VA? I am in Frederick MD and my best friend is not far from me. We may have to take a road trip one weekend.

Always looking for more places to shoot in the DC Metro area! I had no idea there was an uninhabited stretch of shoot-able land in NVA that was 800 yards long.

IF you are ever looking for another please count me in!

If a guy could get a couple of days notice, I could load some toys up and come out. I might not be able to shoot, but I could sure take care of the BBQ!

Nice toys and setup. Totally jealous of the real estate. We have some ranges in houston that go 1k, but membership is full. :(

Looks like a good time with some nice rifles. Why can't you guys be closer to Blacksburg? I would love to join you guys for a shoot sometime too. Always looking for new places to shoot and fellow long range shooters.

I'm in Fredericksburg; have shot at Phelps one time but it was not ideal. Target stands were chicken wire suspended between 2x4's?????. The shooting benches are good, though and it's close to the house. Is it still only 100 yards?

Keep me in mind for a future shoot, please.

Joe

If its not too much of a drive you guys should come down to Quantico Shooting Club, We shoot paper with target pullers & steel out to 1000, plus handgun and several skeet fields. PM me if interested in meeting up!