• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting mat for a BENCH.

Racer88

Firearms Pedant
Minuteman
  • Nov 10, 2018
    So, my google-fu is failing me... or there's really no such thing.

The range I have been shooting at (local sheriff's training range) is now closed to the public, since the new public range has opened in my area. It's the ONLY outdoor range in the county. I was able to shoot prone at the old range. The new range does not allow prone shooting and only has benches at the rifle ranges. It sucks, but we don't have much choice around here.

So, I'm learning how to shoot from a bench - quite different! I've only been once. The benches are nice, but man... the rifle moves a LOT more under recoil. Also, the rubber bipod feet slide around on the smooth wood bench surface. No way to load the bipod.

Here's what the benches look like at the new range.

bench-with-long-range-rifle.jpg

So, it occurred to me... there MUST be a bench-top version of a shooting mat, with bipod leg stop / strap, right? Well... I cannot find one!

Is anyone aware of such a thing? Thanks!

Quit using the cutout that promotes a bladed position.
    Put the stool at the back of the bench so you can get square to it.
    You can also clamp a bipod stop to it it you want but it’s not needed if you get a decent position.

First thought: grippy fender cover for working on cars
    Second thought: nylon ratchet strap to load the bipod feet against
    Third thought: a couple of C-Clamps and a piece of board or angle iron, etc. to load the bipod feet against.

Quit using the cutout that promotes a bladed position.
    Put the stool at the back of the bench so you can get square to it.
    You can also clamp a bipod stop to it it you want but it’s not needed if you get a decent position.

I knew that was coming...

Yeah... might be able to do that if there were no other shooters there. But, if I do that, it puts my muzzle (with brake) well behind the shooting line AND in line with the other shooters next to me. Pretty sure they won't allow that, unfortunately.

PBSSC-(1).jpg

I don't like it, either. But, beggars can't be choosers. The next nearest outdoor range is 1 hour 15 minutes drive away.

Last edited:
    Reactions: 338dude
    Would they allow you to push the shooting bench forward so that you and your rifle were aligned with everyone else?
    At our range i've seen them accommodate wheelchair users in a somewhat similar fashion

i've also seen some shooters employ the technique described by Captain Nemo of a board clamped to the table.

Reactions: 338dude
    Would they allow you to push the shooting bench forward so that you and your rifle were aligned with everyone else?
    At our range i've seen them accommodate wheelchair users in a somewhat similar fashion

i've also seen some shooters employ the technique described by Captain Nemo of a board clamped to the table.

The benches are bolted to the concrete floor.

The clamped board might work.

Drive the 1.25 hrs. It will be worth it if you can get a good position behind the rifle.

Is this the new Palm Beach County range?
    At Knights Trail(Venice) they have concrete benches that are shaped like that, hate them as well but we can shoot prone. They also have a couple rectangular ones, which I will use so I can square up. They recently added wheel chair accessible ones that are more or less a table, great for prone underneath. I don't know why people keep making those cut out benches, ancient bullshit.

Ref the bench cover-just get a piece of carpet and roll it up? I have seen people adding a piece of plywood and clamp at the rear to make it "square"

The best actual bench I every shot from belongs (belonged?) to Dan Shumway, proprietor of Darkeagle. It was set up on his home property, right next to the shop when I used it in the late 1990's.

It was large rectangle, with a rectangular notch cut into the rear perimeter.

It looks, from above, like an inverted, squared off letter "U". The notch still provides ample length for the rifle setup, but allows a straight on, squared off approach for the shooter to address the rifle in a straight line, exactly as LL teaches. The side surfaces are quite big; large enough for the shooter to organize their gear, regardless of their being either left handed or right handed.

The bench is easily twice (or more ) times the width of the benches in the above illustration, and the front to rear dimension is several feet deep at the center, and about another foot more, extending rearward, on either side.

Seating is provided, a side to side plank tied into the structure spanning the notch. The entire structure is robust, solidly footed, and painted white.

I built benches to supply the range at Odessa, NY, several decades back.

They were square, with a diagonal cutoff on one corner of the top. The cutoff was reused to create an integrated stool. The stool would serve as a squarely addressed bench when turned so it faced diagonal toward the target. Or it could also be oriented square to the target, with the notch to the left to accommodate right handed shooters, or to to the right to accommodate left handed shooters. They were designed to use one sheet of 4x8 plywood and 8' 2x4's (the legs joined the 2x4's along their edges at right angles, and were nearly as rigid as a 4x6) for two benches, with 2x4 legs and braces, leaving no scrap cutoffs. With the legs braced and set up on concreted, they were very rigid.

They ended up being a bit small, with a 3x3 top, minus the notch. I suspect the larger one could be designed using a 4x12 piece of plywood.

They lasted for many years; being ultimately replaced by another design after I retired from club leadership.

One note about outdoor benches. Always look underneath and scan for ticks before using the bench. They congregate under the upper surfaces, and drop down onto you while you're shooting. My Brother ended up with Lyme's Disease that way and it wrecked his heart.

Bummer...

Greg

Last edited:
    Reactions: camocorvette
    I much prefer a square bench.
    Press your body firmly against it and you are pretty much square to target.

1x2 or 2x2 clamped on bench would be nice for bipod.

A bath towl goes in my range bag.

On the bench it stops brass from rolling off and other things from sliding.

When shooting gas guns with a brass catcher I leave the bottom unzipped so I can fondle a fresh hot pice of brass looking for pressure signs, or keep them in order back into ammo box.

Reactions: napt0wnc1ty99
    I much prefer a square bench.
    Press your body firmly against it and you are pretty much square to target.

1x2 or 2x2 clamped on bench would be nice for bipod.

A bath towl goes in my range bag.

On the bench it stops brass from rolling off and other things from sliding.

When shooting gas guns with a brass catcher I leave the bottom unzipped so I can fondle a fresh hot pice of brass looking for pressure signs, or keep them in order back into ammo box.
    That’s oddly arousing.

I think I know what the towel’s for.

Place a ratcheting tie-down strap around the table, connect it to itself and cinch it up.
    If you place it far enough forward, you can flip the strap to vertical and run your bipod up against it.
    And, not likely to rile the homophobes.

Just get a lead sled...
    Kidding kidding kidding...
    Changed my mind, get one and post pics using it!!!!!

• Haha
    Reactions: Racer88
    Is this the new Palm Beach County range?
    At Knights Trail(Venice) they have concrete benches that are shaped like that, hate them as well but we can shoot prone. They also have a couple rectangular ones, which I will use so I can square up. They recently added wheel chair accessible ones that are more or less a table, great for prone underneath. I don't know why people keep making those cut out benches, ancient bullshit.

Ref the bench cover-just get a piece of carpet and roll it up? I have seen people adding a piece of plywood and clamp at the rear to make it "square"

Yep. That's the range. Even without the benches, I doubt they'll allow prone shooting due to the baffles not being designed for prone.

I agree that these benches are outdated. But, it's all we've got here now.

2-1/2 hours of driving (round trip) is too much to do on a relatively frequent basis.

With that set up, I would clamp 2x4 on the end and put a piece of remnant carpet for the bipod. Load the Harris bipod against the 2x4 and you should help.

While I disagree about putting something down especially a hard stop try putting down a towel to eliminate slippery....

Or spiked feet.
    it's easier to over load the bipod than under load it
    Ymmv

Reactions: Racer88
    Okay, I'll say it - a yoga mat works about perfectly. It won't slide around and the bipod will stick to it. Tactical black or grey for color, though.

Okay, I'll say it - a yoga mat works about perfectly. It won't slide around and the bipod will stick to it. Tactical black or grey for color, though.

I'll try that. I think we've got one somewhere around the house. :)

If longer distances is in the work Manatee Gun Club in Myakka goes to 628. You have to shoot 5 rounds at 300 into a 6" target to "qualify" for the 600 prior to going, yo get a card with that rifle/scope/ammo combination, which is good for 2 years. While all benches, there is a spot at 6 for prone(in the sun) and if you can fit in between the benches at 100/200/300, prone but they do have one at each distance that can be moved out of the way.

Party foul.

Deduct 10 points from score.

I'm thinking a towl / mat with a pocket for a wooden stop, long enough to let you hold it in place by leaning / resting against it might work well.

We can call it a bipod baby mat.

I'll make one soon as current load testing is caught up.

Used a piece of yoga mat today. Worked quite nicely!

Looks like the benches at my range. Hate 'em. Have a better location myself, but it's 2:10 to get there.

For another idea: In a pinch you can put a spare sandbag down in front of the bipod legs. Heavy enough, nothing moves. Usually have one with me anyways.

I knew that was coming...

Yeah... might be able to do that if there were no other shooters there. But, if I do that, it puts my muzzle (with brake) well behind the shooting line AND in line with the other shooters next to me. Pretty sure they won't allow that, unfortunately.

View attachment 7345257

I don't like it, either. But, beggars can't be choosers. The next nearest outdoor range is 1 hour 15 minutes drive away.
    I wish I was that close I drive two hours each way to go to my range

Oh... I tried to square up on the back of the bench, instead of using the cut-out... after asking the RSO if it was OK. He said, SURE!

But, it's too narrow, since it has cut-outs on both sides. My elbows were off the edges. There was no way to get positioned there, unfortunately.

• Sad
    Reactions: Snuby642
    Oh... I tried to square up on the back of the bench, instead of using the cut-out... after asking the RSO if it was OK. He said, SURE!

But, it's too narrow, since it has cut-outs on both sides. My elbows were off the edges. There was no way to get positioned there, unfortunately.
    Bring a small section of plywood and two clamps. Maybe 2x3'?

I found the lightest most compact thing to bring is a small ratchet strap. Strap it as tight as you can around the front of the bench then load your bipod legs in to it

Great idea! Just ordered some.

Last edited:
    I found the lightest most compact thing to bring is a small ratchet strap. Strap it as tight as you can around the front of the bench then load your bipod legs in to it

Worked a charm! Under it is a yoga mat.

Lia-PBSSC-3.jpg

Bipod-strap.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ericsl2