• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shooting Mat for F-Class Precision and Service?

Koshy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2009
Canadia!
Hey guys,

Been looking for a good shooting mat for Precision and Service style competitions. Anybody have any thoughts on what to use/not use?

Thanks,
- Koshy

Re: Shooting Mat for F-Class Precision and Service?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive got a Molle mat from CTD, it works well.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE651-1.html </div></div>

Thanks for the suggestion.

Here is what I have heard about these style competitions:

1. Wet weather = wet ground = mud = in your buckles = pain to close and move

2. Straps or buckles will always somehow find their way under you, which can be annoying.

3. Roll up mats can take to long for fast moving events like Service condition and Precision.

Would you guys agree? Do you get bothered or have any of these things happen to you? Do you live with it? Have you found a solution?

Thanks,
- Koshy

Look into Creedmore Sports. I use one and water proofed the bround side.

I have a Creedmore,good stuff. Midway has one for like $30
Dillon has one too. Look at getting a coat too.
Creedmore often has a beginners kit,pad,jacket,glove.

Re: Shooting Mat for F-Class Precision and Service

I have the one that Dillon Precision sells. I have used it for the last 3 seasons of NRA HP comps(40 + matches + practice)and it is no worse for wear. Looks to me like it will last at least that long again if not more. I'm in MN so it has seen extremes of temperature, weather, etc. Nothing has come unstitched, buckles are still in place, other than being dirtier, it's like new. It's a roll up mat and the bottom is water resistant/waterproof. It's never leaked through to the top in wet grass or the like. For the $50 I paid, I don't know what more I could ask for.

If you are talking about Service Rifle matches, you should have plenty of time to get any kind of mat you want to use set up. The only time black rubber pads would be a problem is if you are going to shoot F-class in just a t-shirt or something in the hot sun. Real men shoot HP in a coat & sling with iron sights the way God intended, anyways.
wink.gif
If you are wearing a coat the rubber really locks your elbows down and helps keep you solid.

Good luck,
Erik

Concerning the black rubber on the mats.
Like Erud said,only if you shot in thin long sleeve shirts or t-shirts,are they a problem.
Wearing a shooting jacket with the rubber elbow pads.
The rubber on rubber helps to hold your position.
Keeps your elbows from sliding during recoil.

all Creedmores mats
http://creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=253

Highpower DCM/CMP shooting will teach you more on reading the wind,then anything.
Find a match in your area,go and watch. Take note of equipment being used.

Creedmoor sports is the place to go for all your high power needs and the mats will work well in f-class.

I use a Dillon as well, I have no complaints.

Thanks for the information. At my ORA Winter Training they suggested, centerthegroup.com because it folds (from 3 parts)... which allows for very quick deployment... but it is padded which I am NOT really a fan of... They also suggested, Eberlestock, but that one is quite long and has to be rolled up... although the buckle and strap is not attached to the unit, so it isn't a problem in the field.

Then there is the TAB mat, which is very tempting to me since it can easily be mounted to my pack, but I am very concerned with buckles or straps getting in my way during a competition...

Also, thanks to everyone else for their suggestions!

Thanks,
- Koshy

Just because you buy a roll up mat doesn't mean you can quickly fold it in 3rds, pick it up and run. You do not have to hurry in F class or service rifle competition. Tactical compestiton yes but I didn't think you used mats in tactical / practical shooting. (Obviously I do not compete in tactical/practical. My body doesn't do that stuff anymore!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCummings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just because you buy a roll up mat doesn't mean you can quickly fold it in 3rds, pick it up and run. You do not have to hurry in F class or service rifle competition. Tactical compestiton yes but I didn't think you used mats in tactical / practical shooting. (Obviously I do not compete in tactical/practical. My body doesn't do that stuff anymore!) </div></div>

You do bring up a good point... just fold it like a blanket really quick into thirds... rather then taking the time to roll it, haha thanks for the idea
smile.gif

Still a tad bit concerned about the buckles/straps getting in the way though... meaning like under my knees or elbows. Also dirt/mud getting in the buckle leading to not being able to close it at all :p

I guess D rings would be an option in that respect, but I have never used a D ring with straps so I'm not exactly sure how much longer it would take versus a fastex buckle.

Thanks,
- Koshy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koshy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

Been looking for a good shooting mat for Precision and Service style competitions. Anybody have any thoughts on what to use/not use?

Thanks,
- Koshy </div></div>

So are you looking for a service rifle/ F class mat? see previous posts lot of good ones at all the places.
If tactical look at
http://www.triadtactical.com/Eagle-DB-BS.html

or ,look at the detail picture link on the page
http://www.triadtactical.com/Hybrid-Sniper-Rifle-Case.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAMCIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koshy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

Thanks,
- Koshy </div></div>

So are you looking for a service rifle/ F class mat ? or a tactical mat? If tactical look at
http://www.triadtactical.com/Eagle-DB-BS.html

or ,look at the detail picture link on the page
http://www.triadtactical.com/Hybrid-Sniper-Rifle-Case.html </div></div>

Looking for a Service Rifle/F-Class mat that I will have to move around frequently ;P

That has no padding or very little, and is water proofed. Also that won't be effected by dirt/mud.

Thanks,
- Koshy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You just decribed a TAB mat. </div></div>

And you dont think there should be any concern over the fastex buckles getting dirt/mud in them or them finding their way under my elbows/knees?

Also as a general question about the TAB mat, I'm 6'4" tall, will a 72'x30' be sufficient for me?

Thanks,
- Koshy

Maybe to add, I would love if I could see some quality pictures of where the buckles are attached (meaning the straps or the mat itself?)... what difference if any there are between the buckles and the D rings...

The 2010 Shot Show is decent, but not perfect for getting a real feel for what it looks like...

Sorry if I am a little over the top with this, but when having to order out of the states you need to get it right the first time, or you end up losing a lot of money.

Thanks,
- Koshy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koshy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe to add, I would love if I could see some quality pictures of where the buckles are attached (meaning the straps or the mat itself?)... what difference if any there are between the buckles and the D rings...

The 2010 Shot Show is decent, but not perfect for getting a real feel for what it looks like...

Sorry if I am a little over the top with this, but when having to order out of the states you need to get it right the first time, or you end up losing a lot of money.

Thanks,
- Koshy </div></div>

Koshy,

Here's what I would do. Send Tony a PM and tell him what/how you plan on using this mat. I'm telling you, he's a really good guy to deal with. Let him know your concerns and together you guys can figure-out exactly what should work best for your particular application.

Don't worry about the buckles getting in the way because they are at the bottom of the mat. (Non issue) And don't get hung-up on be able to roll it up, because you won't have time. When I move from spot to spot I just stuff my rear bags into my pack, then stuff the mat right in on top of it. I don't take the time to roll it up until I'm done shooting for the day.Also, let him know you are 6:4 because I'm 6:1 and fill up that mat pretty good. He can make one larger with ease.

Here's a link to my thread on TAB GEAR. You should be able to get a real good feel for it by looking at the pic's.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...285#Post1406285

Good luck,

-Pat

Koshy,

I have 2 other sources both in Ontario that I will send to you via your e-mail or give to you in February.

I've always just used a length of carpet, gives me alittle bit of padding and it works great for grabbing ahold of the podclaws on my bipod and allowing me to really load it good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look into Creedmore Sports. I use one and water proofed the bround side. </div></div>

+1

M70_1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always just used a length of carpet, gives me alittle bit of padding and it works great for grabbing ahold of the podclaws on my bipod and allowing me to really load it good. </div></div>

Yea, I use to use a carpet, works well, but now doing some field work isn't as practical for me. But loved it in the past
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koshy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe to add, I would love if I could see some quality pictures of where the buckles are attached (meaning the straps or the mat itself?)... what difference if any there are between the buckles and the D rings...

Thanks,
- Koshy </div></div>

Koshy,

Here's what I would do. Send Tony a PM and tell him what/how you plan on using this mat. I'm telling you, he's a really good guy to deal with. Let him know your concerns and together you guys can figure-out exactly what should work best for your particular application.

Don't worry about the buckles getting in the way because they are at the bottom of the mat. (Non issue) And don't get hung-up on be able to roll it up, because you won't have time. When I move from spot to spot I just stuff my rear bags into my pack, then stuff the mat right in on top of it. I don't take the time to roll it up until I'm done shooting for the day.Also, let him know you are 6:4 because I'm 6:1 and fill up that mat pretty good. He can make one larger with ease.

Here's a link to my thread on TAB GEAR. You should be able to get a real good feel for it by looking at the pic's.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...285#Post1406285

Good luck,

-Pat </div></div>

Sending Tony (TBurkes?) a PM with all my information
smile.gif
Your kit looks awesome dude, Tony looks like he did a great job. Also, did you go with the stake down kit as well? And are those D rings or fastex buckles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 76fixer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Koshy,

I have 2 other sources both in Ontario that I will send to you via your e-mail or give to you in February. </div></div>

An e-mail would be great!

Can anyone tell how much I love going to a target range and shooting?
smile.gif

Thanks,
- Koshy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koshy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sending Tony (TBurkes?) a PM with all my information
smile.gif
Your kit looks awesome dude, Tony looks like he did a great job. Also, did you go with the stake down kit as well? And are those D rings or fastex buckles? </div></div>

Yep, Tburkes is the guy your looking for. I didn't go with the stake down option, but wish I had. I don't think you would have time to use them in competition, but I think they would help a lot on those windy days when you're practicing and have the time. I went with the D-rings to keep things compact and easy to compress, but the next mat I buy from him in multicam will have the stake and fastex buckle option.

Give Tony some time to respond to your PM because he's at the SHOT show and may not have the time to check on the Hide until he gets back. (Not sure)

Good luck,

-Pat

If you are worried about strapes & buckels. Want light wieght with no padding and waterproof.
Just buy a poly tarp.
I use a voodoo roll up mat for F-Class - never had a problem with buckles. When shooting in the field or at tactile comps the less I have to carry the better (no matt).

If you are going to go with a stake down option, why not just get a 2 person tent
laugh.gif

If you are going to shoot F-class, trust me, get a padded matt, you don't need "Tactical" gear to shoot on cement that is almost always covered - depending on your range...throw a tarp down if the grass is wet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to go with a stake down option, why not just get a 2 person tent
laugh.gif

If you are going to shoot F-class, trust me, get a padded matt, you don't need "Tactical" gear to shoot on cement that is almost always covered - depending on your range...throw a tarp down if the grass is wet.

</div></div>

Not so much concerned about F-Class, more concerned about Service and Precision, where moving is quite frequent
smile.gif
And we are usually shooting on a grassy field, not on cement
smile.gif

Also some people like padded but personally I don't, I am use to shooting on cement non-padded, and I prefer it as I can feel the ground and my elbows do not move as much.

Personally I am feeling like I wouldn't need a stake down option... as I won't have the time to use it... not to mention something would always be on the mat
laugh.gif
But at the same time, the one time you need/want it, will be the one time you don't have it
smile.gif

Thanks,
- Koshy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koshy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Not so much concerned about F-Class, more concerned about Service and Precision, where moving is quite frequent
smile.gif

</div></div>

You need one of these high speed carts!

Been there and done that and it makes life Soooo much easier!!
Mcgee1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koshy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

smile.gif

</div></div>

You need one of these high speed carts!

Been there and done that and it makes life Soooo much easier!!
Mcgee1.jpg
</div></div>

High Speed, AKA motor in it?
laugh.gif

Just playing
smile.gif

Thanks,
- Koshy