• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting mat recommendation

Re: Shooting mat recommendation

Good post since I'm in the market for one also.

Seems everyone around here has drank the rifles only koolaid.

So Before 50 posts respond that the TAB mat is the one lets get that out of the way.

I've been using an old marine corps iso mat so far. plain, simple, easy. would just be nice to upgrade a bit, haha.

And this http://thevintagebin.com/Voodoo-Tactical..._source=froogle

is what i'm thinking of now.

Brings back lots of bad memories.

i've got a blackhawk one, pretty nice. i shot off a SRS matt/soft case that was pretty good to go.

I honestly think this topic has been beat to death here on the Hide, but since you asked it really depends on how much money you want to sink into one. I think the best bang for you buck is to pickup one of MidwayUSA's mats. Good deal for the low price. I'm a really big guy and have used the midway mat several times and find it to be comfortable. Just my two cents!

I've got a few of <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #CC0000">these</span></span> Blackhawk bags that I'm selling. They're what I use as well and I think that they're great since they fold up nice and small (relatively speaking) for a rifle case/shooting mat. has backpack straps if you need them, plenty of pockets and the Hawktex pad grips nicely when shooting off the mat.

It really comes down to what do you want it to do? If you want it to keep you out of the dirt you will be pressed to do better than TAB. IF you want padding and cush there are other options (Creedmoor Sports, Midway, etc)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I honestly think this topic has been beat to death here on the Hide... </div></div>

+1

Here is a link to the most recent catch-all thread on Shooting Mats...plenty of options and suggestions to mull over:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1791378

If that doesn't get you the info you are looking for, run a search for "shooting mat" or "shooters mat" and you should get plenty of options.

best: Creedmore (heavy) (good for practice, working up loads, etc)
lightest/smallest: Tab (just a little padding in the elbow area, great if you have to carry)
cheapest: Midway (hot (black), good for letting your friends borrow)

All three have their place.

I purchased a Creedmore mat last year. Its well padded and manufactured for range work. However, definately too bulky for packing around. I'm looking for a more efficent and compact mat now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">best: Creedmore (heavy) (good for practice, working up loads, etc)
lightest/smallest: Tab (just a little padding in the elbow area, great if you have to carry)

</div></div>

"Letting your friend's borrow", brilliant, Quickdraw40!
I'll get the TAB for myself, I already have the excellent rifle cover, I need one I can carry, and will have to remember the Midway mat for lending!

RO.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">best: Creedmore (heavy) (good for practice, working up loads, etc)

</div></div>

What he said except the Midway, don't have one to burn friends with.

Seems the choice here is shooting mat or combination shooting mat and drag bag. For light weight and easy carry one of the TAB mats is great. Not much padding but what do you want in a mat that rolls up not much bigger than an Aussie beer can? Eagle, VooDoo and Condor all make excellent combos that fit in a large Pelican case with the top foam taken out. I have a Condor 131: Sniper Shooters Mat/bag that is an almost exact clone of the VooDoo. If you don’t know what to look for you can’t tell the difference. Except the Condor costs about half of the VooDoo. Condor - $89.25 VooDoo - $189.95

I shot with a guy the other day that had a great idea- he used a roll up pad like you use underneath a sleeping bag. Not great for portability, but if you aren't walking very far, it sure is comfortable.

Real marksmen/operators "don't need no stinking mat"...hooah!

I use a military issue sleeping pad and/or a poncho. I dont like to lug around extra gear and both have a place in my pack.

I have a Midway one, which I paid $25 IIRC.
I can't think on anything that can make me want more than the one I have.
It is rugged, sufficiently padded, and folds to a nicely sized roll.

I have a midway mat, and an Eagle HSRC. The Eagle is the most comfortable by far and is a case also. I'd go with the dual purpose case rather than lugging around extra crap. But it also depends on your budget. The eagle is 10x the cost of the Midway mat. JAA

I use TAB shooting mat because of compactness, and shot with elbow pads so having padding on shooting mat does not make a difference to me.

For your preferences, suggest looking at Eberlestock magic carpet padded shooting mat.

Ultimate shooting mat.
photo47.jpg

photo21.jpg

This works great actually. Big boxes like refrigerator, TV, washer, dryer ect. boxes are great for a shooting mat. Since they are big and for heavy items they are actually pretty thick. So they are comfortable and you don't feel every rock and twig under your crotch while your shooting. Best part about them is they are free1
smile.gif
and when your done with it you can just place it up and take some shots at it.

I found this out by last resort. I forgot my shooting mat at home and we had to compromise. I actually prefer this over my actual shooting mat now. Its really thick and comfortable and stays in place in the wind. Only down side is mobility. If your looking to hike it or move then its pretty big and awkward to carry for the hike. Other than that its actually a pretty good shooting mat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only down side is mobility. If your looking to hike it or move then its pretty big and awkward to carry for the hike. Other than that its actually a pretty good shooting mat. </div></div>

cut it as wide and long as you need it, then roll it up to-go!

I got the Eberlestock padded shooting mat its a great. Its doesn't roll up as tight as the TAB but it as small for a padded mat. Its 18 1/2" by 6 1/2" rolled up. Padding is approximately 5/16th thick. Weight is about two pounds. Unrolled its 96"x34".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Brings back lots of bad memories. </div></div>

Come on man. It couldn't have been that bad.
wink.gif

Guys thank for all the input.
The TAB seems like a great little mat that won't take up much space.
Wouldn't mind having one of ther mats that also doubles as a rifle bag, but I think I'm running out of space to put all my crap. At least that's what the wife says.

ORD thanks for the link. Sorry to beat this topic to death.

look at midway again. They now have a larger mat. I saw one of the prototypes that had one little diffrence at a match a couple months back and if they put them on sale like the smaller older ones id buy a couple.

Nick P. of Grand River Tactical builds some very nice stuff!

Very happy with my build/bag/mat.

check his website out for more info....and pics