• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Mat

bmcnulty1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
I plan to shoot F-Class and maybe some tactical matches this year, and I'm looking at two types of shooting mats. One is a roll-up style and one is a fold-up style. Does one work better than the other?

Roll-up: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=276544

Fold-up: http://www.crosstac.com/store?page=shop....;category_id=37

Sorry if this is a re-hash, I'm new. I suspect this has been discussed before but couldn't find much specific in a search.

The fold-up is way more expensive, so if the roll-up will work I'm going with it.

Thanks.

Re: Shooting Mat

I like the roll up style. I can roll up the mat and slide it over the scope stand, making both easier to carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the roll up style. I can roll up the mat and slide it over the scope stand, making both easier to carry. </div></div>

+1 for that for shooting square range matches.

Practical precision type matches I use the Eagle case/pad:
http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=392&cat=45&page=1

Or I man up and pull my elbow pads, knee pads and gloves out of the pack.....

If i'm shooting F-Class I am going for comfort. Give me the one that is thicker. The midway one is pretty nice I have seen a few people shooting with those. I like their newer one much better than the older one. I am a bigger guy and the the newer midway one gives me the room I need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmcnulty1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan to shoot F-Class and maybe some tactical matches this year, and I'm looking at two types of shooting mats. One is a roll-up style and one is a fold-up style. Does one work better than the other?

Roll-up: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=276544

Fold-up: http://www.crosstac.com/store?page=shop....;category_id=37

Sorry if this is a re-hash, I'm new. I suspect this has been discussed before but couldn't find much specific in a search.

The fold-up is way more expensive, so if the roll-up will work I'm going with it.

Thanks. </div></div>

One of the better mats due to it's substantial padding:

Voodoo Tactical Roll-up Mat

It's not compact, but very comfortable to lay on, which is the whole point......

Thanks for the input gents. The Voodoo mat is one I had heard about too, but I couldn't remember the name. That one is not bad on price either. Do the "wings" help for anything on the Voodoo? I guess it gives more room for elbows?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmcnulty1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input gents. The Voodoo mat is one I had heard about too, but I couldn't remember the name. That one is not bad on price either. Do the "wings" help for anything on the Voodoo? I guess it gives more room for elbows? </div></div>

If you use the Voodoo mat as intended, your bipod base is off the mat and the wings are where your the widest, at your shoulders and with elbows out. Plus those nifty holders for ammo and doodads are right under the rifle at it's mid point.

That's the way it's intended to work. If you actually want your rifles bipod on the mat with you, chose another design like those you listed above.

Use a mat for F Class but I would recommend against it for Tac matches. Just something else to have to apck up and move. Travel light and learn to lay on the ground. You don't want to be "That Guy" who everyone is waiting for to pack up his shit so they can move.

I'm with Rob, for a tactical style match, knee/elbow pads if necessary, but carrying around a case/pad is extra bulk. I used the Eagle HSRC, and it is slow to deploy, extra weight and bulk to carry around with you. I will definately be running lighter this year, and will be using knee/elbow pads. For F-Class, not as big of an issue, as you won't be moving, so get the most comfortable one you can...

Dave

agreed on ditching the mat for tac matches if you can. ended up a total PIA, but was worth it for shooting in the melting snow. I use a galati Int. very comfy

I have an EARLIER version of this one, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=276544 dont have this actual one but it looks pretty much the same. Even Midway warns you about the heat see this quote.......

"•Elbow and knee pad areas are now made from a tackier tan material for a better hold that doesn't get as hot in the sun"

This one is fairly easy to use and is $$$ cheap. BUT.... it does have a few downsides in my opinion :
1)Direct sunlight makes the surface area heat up and it WILL burn you quick. On bright sunny days it gets too hot too fast.
2)On wet muddy surfaces it definately leaks/weeps mositure around the stitching seams when laid on a wet muddy surface and the pressure from knees elbows etc seem to expedite the leaking problem.. It will keep you somewhat dry but does weep/leak water through at certain spots on the mat.

Just my review if anyone was ordering one.

As for matches I agree tac matches there isnt time to lay it out roll it up etc. Slower matches or F-class this type of mat should do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use a mat for F Class but I would recommend against it for Tac matches. Just something else to have to apck up and move. Travel light and learn to lay on the ground. You don't want to be "That Guy" who everyone is waiting for to pack up his shit so they can move. </div></div>

I am that guy.....

Yeah but you give us a show with that sexy kilt so it's ok.
wink.gif

I like the NCStar shooting mat, myself. It's not thick at all but it's made of the same tough material my 3-day pack is made of so it's not cheaply made at all. It keeps me dry and it has a bunch of pockets for data books, ammo, kestrel, etc and it doubles as my gun case when I can't actually case the gun or just don't want the bulk of a full case. It comes with back pack straps that tuck into their own little pocket as do all the carrying handles on the case, which allows it to "triple" as a drag bag too. They are very similar to the Voodoo mats but at almost half the price at $85 on ebay.

All that for $85! For the money, that's the best deal I've found, bar none, IMO.

We seem to be always in the mud.
A roll up transfers the mud all over both sides of the mat
A fold up doesn't.