• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Mat

Bl0407

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2019
Does anyone have suggestions for a good quality shooting mat?

big fan of the midway usa mats,

you can catch them on sale for $30-40.

they are "bulky" so as long as you aren't hiking/packing it in somewhere they are fantastic.

Attachments

• 462691EB-AE99-4C5A-92F1-3272F3FB286A.jpeg
    462691EB-AE99-4C5A-92F1-3272F3FB286A.jpeg
    766.2 KB · Views: 111
  • BE8FCB72-6B50-4D20-95FE-169A2D6B87BA.jpeg
    BE8FCB72-6B50-4D20-95FE-169A2D6B87BA.jpeg
    816.9 KB · Views: 114
  • C78819B1-D078-45DD-BB64-1034309ED78E.jpeg
    C78819B1-D078-45DD-BB64-1034309ED78E.jpeg
    925.9 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: lr123
Tab Gear Shooting Mat
I friggin love this thing. Quickly rolls up to be about 4"x8" with two straps (you only need one to keep it secure and I went with the metal rings vs the faster clips so I didn't have to worry about them breaking) but rolls out to be about 72"x30". Small enough to strap to the outside of any assault pack but can easily be run inside or at the base of a Gunslinger pack.

The only modification I did to it was to have two sections of 8"x4" loop (velcro) sewn onto the front/top left and right. This is so I can slap a velcro'd cheat sheets, range cards, to it or other data cards for quick reference. It already has loops on the corners so you can use tent stakes to keep it in place if it is super windy out and you don't have equipment placed on it.

As for us as an environmental/thermal barrier while in the prone, it also works out well. I recently ran it for a 5 week shooting package at work back in the winter. Shooting everyday from 0900-1600 from mud/dirt/grass berms in temps ranging from 50F-20F. The padded model would be better if you shoot in cold environments more often than not, but if you're a multisession shooter looking to keep your kit as streamlined as possible, I definitely recommend this.

Sorry for the partial pic, its the only one I had of the mat on this computer.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 9.46.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 9.46.33 PM.png
    590.3 KB · Views: 103
Tab Gear Shooting Mat
I friggin love this thing. Quickly rolls up to be about 4"x8" with two straps (you only need one to keep it secure and I went with the metal rings vs the faster clips so I didn't have to worry about them breaking) but rolls out to be about 72"x30". Small enough to strap to the outside of any assault pack but can easily be run inside or at the base of a Gunslinger pack.

The only modification I did to it was to have two sections of 8"x4" loop (velcro) sewn onto the front/top left and right. This is so I can slap a velcro'd cheat sheets, range cards, to it or other data cards for quick reference. It already has loops on the corners so you can use tent stakes to keep it in place if it is super windy out and you don't have equipment placed on it.

As for us as an environmental/thermal barrier while in the prone, it also works out well. I recently ran it for a 5 week shooting package at work back in the winter. Shooting everyday from 0900-1600 from mud/dirt/grass berms in temps ranging from 50F-20F. The padded model would be better if you shoot in cold environments more often than not, but if you're a multisession shooter looking to keep your kit as streamlined as possible, I definitely recommend this.

Sorry for the partial pic, its the only one I had of the mat on this computer.

Hope this helps!
Good write up!

Find your local upholstery guy, you know, the guy who does car/boat interiors and tops. Spec out exactly what you "want" and have him make it. Why compromise?

Reactions: Macca
$30 one from NcStar is awesome. 1/3" thick, tough fabric, rolls up nice. Only con is it doesnt have a web strip to hold the bipod feet in under recoil, but that can be sewed in later.

Lol @ spending $100 on a shooting mat.

Primary Arms has one also, probably very similar to the NcStar.

Another vote for the Midway shooting mat. I have the cheaper version and don’t like it as much as the nicest one they offer. The more expensive one uses nicer material and is well worth the extra money.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good quality shooting mat?

Occam’s Razor. For the cost of 3 surplus wool blankets and 50 feet of 550 cord you’ll have a warm set up with multiple uses that you can machine wash and still have enough left over for lunch compared to a “shooting mat.

Another happy Midway (pro series) mat user here. I've been waiting for them to get their "half-acre" mat back in stock. I've heard good things about it, too.

Another vote for the Crosstac mats. I have had one of the folders for 4 years. It has held up very well. But it isn't light and kind of bulky. It's great if aren't going very far and it does insulate you from the ground

I have the midway pro and the tab. Both great mats for their intended reasons. I use the midway the most, it’s nice and comfortable. The tab is in my pack I like it because it multipurpose and it rolls up really small.

Ps midway is making a tab like mat now, not seen one in person yet or seen any reviews

I like my midway mat, nicely padded, has pockets for notebooks or whatever else you need. If I don't want to pack it around, I use my primary arms mat, super compact and is a nice simple barrier, but next to no padding...

Reactions: Brfussell
Midway here, as well. Been surprisingly durable, particularly for the price.

I've got a midway mat and it's not bad.
For six bucks, I went to Harbour Freight and bought a moving blanket for loaning out.