• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Mats

Khan004

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
So I'm new to long range shooting, and I've been looking around trying to figure out what I need to get serious about it. I'm curious how necesary is a shooting mat? I've seen some of the guys at the range use them for shooting prone. Whats the benefit of having one vs. just laying on the ground? Also, if they are that important, any suggestions for a good / inexpensive one for a guy on a student budget?

Re: Shooting Mats

try a tab gear mat I am about to try one everything else they make is top notch so i am sure the mat will be also.

+1 on jasonk's recommendation. I just ordered the Midway mat for $24.95. I was using a paint cloth at a 1000yd F-T/R match and a guy next to me let me use his Miday mat. Very comfortable and great quality for the price. The paint cloth kept me clean, but I found my knees getting sore from the rocks underneath. You live and you learn...

TAB Gear - which can be ordered thru Rifles Only: http://www.riflesonly.com/store/TAB/index.html

A mat will keep BOTH you, your weapon, and your gear cleaner.

Your wife will have less washing to do - which translates into more guns - cleaner sport -
laugh.gif

Ok, so the main benefit is staying clean and dry? Nothing wrong with that, like you say doc, keep the wife happy.

Don't get me wrong, I have the TAB mat too, but the OP asked about budget and for $25 the Midway is hard to beat.

midway has a real good one i paid 24.99 for it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pat4668</div><div class="ubbcode-body">midway has a real good one i paid 24.99 for it </div></div>

I'll second this, I bought one when it was on sale and I wish I'd bought a second.

If you want cheap, light weight and really compact go to Wal Mart and buy and 8x8 plastic tarp. It'll fold up nice and small and has lots of uses. I used one of these for quite a while before I started TAB GEAR.

super cheap - $15 Weapons Parachute Bag with threads cut out that folds out flat

Few more bucks - buy a TAB because I talk to his wife regularly and I know she needs her bling-bling. lol Seriously, the thing folds up smaller than a 40oz which gives me more room in my pack for forties when I shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Seriously, the thing folds up smaller than a 40oz which gives me more room in my pack for forties when I shoot. </div></div>
Nice!! More beer room!

Im waiting for Tony's small little mat to be available that says coming soon, I forget what its called.

try a pvc body bag anyone in law enforcement should be able to get one free of charge and slightly used ones are always readily avaiable at your local morgue. The inside zips open so you can add a pad for softness and your shooting pleasure

I have a midway, but would love to get a TAB in the future.

Tony has excellent customer service...even when the customer screws up on the order
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a lead time on the TAB's or are they in stock generally? </div></div>
Mine shipped the day after ordering. I just got it last week.

+1 on the midway mat for $25. you could use anything really, but at this price what you get is great. obviously if you want to spend more there are better mats out there, but I haven't felt the need for anything more.

I just ordered and received my TAB shooting mat, I had a 2 week wait, but I got my name on it, so my wait was likely a little longer. I really like the padded elbow strip, it adds to comfort, but isn't as bulkier as fully padded mat.

Can't say enough about TAB customer service, they answered all my questions quickly, and delivered products as promised on time and with excellent quality. With the current demand for firearms related products, poor service and long lag times, seem to be the norm. I'm glad that there are still companies that provide quality and efficiency.

I use the Eberlestock non-padded shooting mat. It's super long so you can lay in the middle and have the front of the mat extending a couple of feet past your muzzle to prevent a dust signature (not how I was shooting in the pic below).

IMG_5335.jpg

I have two mats. The TAB is compact, lightweight and will keep you out of the dirt but don't expect much padding. I have a creedmoore mat for when weight (and trips to the car) aren't an issue as it's well padded.

I got the Eberlestock padded shooting mat its a great mat, but did use the movers blanket tarp combo for years. Its doesn't roll up as tight as the TAB but it as small for a padded mat. Its 18 1/2" by 6 1/2" rolled up. Padding is approximately 5/16th thick. Weight is about two pounds. Unrolled its 96"x34". If I can ever get out to shoot ill give a full review.Oh got mine from Kent H he is good to go.

reason for it - to keep you and your stuff dry and clean + comfort - it sucks having a rock poking ya in the cage if you don't need to. plus it keeps your stuff from falling into and getting lost in high grass, etc.

on the cheap the cheaper than dirt / sportsman's guide one. my "el cheapo" set up (the spotting glass now matches):

SHOOTING_STATION_TOP_VIEW.jpg

TURKEYSTAND.jpg

this one could use a little more padding, still better than nothing, and is easy to pack around on a hunt or to the range.

or really cheap - a tent / sleeping bag pad in the camping section of walmart, gander mtn., etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here, get one of these, I have one and it works great. And its cheap enough where you wont have to ask stupid questions like why its better to lay on a padded mat vs laying on bare ground.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE651-1.html </div></div>

I have one of these mats and love it. For the price its a great mat, I love the wings for my elbows. When I position myself correctly it is very comfy. I spent 3 days on mine in the high desert last weekend shooting and it treated me very well. I even put it under my sleeping bag at night for a little extra cushion from the hard ground while sleeping. I would recomend it to anyone looking for such a mat. My only complaint, and isn't really too much of a complaint, is that it doesn't roll real small but thats the trade off for a soft mat. I can strap it to my pack with the included straps/clips and it works but I will probably getting something lighter/smaller like the TAB mat for when I do long hikes. Something that can pack a little nicer.

I've heard lots of good about the Midway mat also.

I use a TAB Mat, but it doesn't have much padding at all. When at the range, I through the TAB Mat down for moisture protection...and top it with my tactical mover's blanket in dark ubran gray color
blush.gif
Honestly, for range work, a mover's blanket is hard to beat....you can even double it over for extra comfort.

Using the Army issued puss pad underneath a TAB works well too, not to mention you can sleep on it.

28576L.jpg

Hahaha. I've been on the hide or a long time and never ventured into this side of the house, so "Hi". I came here to see what you guys were saying about mats. My buddy has just started making gear (something to do when there isn't any shooting to do, guns to clean or ammo to load) to his specific needs. I had the idea of him making us a couple of mats and was wondering what features you guys like? I guess what I'm asking is, last time you bought a mat did you think to yourself "self, I wish this mat had xxxxx feature"?

Thanks for the heads up on the current sale on Midway mats, I just picked one up. If it was 50 bucks like usual I probably would have just got the TAB mat.

What about the mat that comes with the Tac Ops drag bag. I know this is a little off topic, but can anybody compare it to the TAB or Midway mat? I'm really just trying to justify buying the Tac Ops drag bag.

Who makes the mat that has the raised piece sewn into the end so you can load your bipod, I know this is vague, but I saw it on a thread and never asked.

I have the midway and like it a lot.

TAB-Lightweight/compact if you are moving about.
MidwayUSA mat if you are shooting from a fixed position for an extended period and you can off-load gear from a vehicle.