• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting mats

The Angler

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
What shooting mats are you guys using?

Are there any that easily accommodate shooter and spotter?

What are some of your improvised shooting mats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAB Gear makes a nice packable one that comes in camo and solid colors for $65. It's 30x72" and durable. It's not padded though.

Reactions: abizdafuzz
Thanks for the recommendations. I tried the voodoo tactical mat, but found myself hanging off the sides, especially when switching targets.

Might try to bust out the old blue tarp for my spotter.

Thanks again

TAB Gear makes a nice packable one that comes in camo and solid colors for $65. It's 30x72" and durable. It's not padded though.

I skipped the TAB because of this. I really enjoyed my Midway Competition mat while I had it (stolen or lost or something), but something with just padding for your elbows will be sufficient if your knees are good or you use kneepads.

Well I like the drag mat rifle case idea, that's two birds with one stone, but I also like value, and Midway's mat seems to be a great value for the price.

So I guess two person mats are nonexistent? Oh well, I'll just give my spotter my old voodoo mat when I upgrade.

Thanks for your help

The CrossTac mat is roomy, and well made. Word of caution though, even folded up it's still pretty big. Easy if you're just going from the truck to the shooting line, but kind of a pain if you have to haul it any distance. But for range work, it's my go-to. As for two-person, well, I suppose that depends on how close you and your spotter are...

Reactions: delfuego
The CrossTac mat is roomy, and well made. Word of caution though, even folded up it's still pretty big. Easy if you're just going from the truck to the shooting line, but kind of a pain if you have to haul it any distance. But for range work, it's my go-to. As for two-person, well, I suppose that depends on how close you and your spotter are...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...0Zrd1UlHFOGwjc3lSeWZmvXGPHQPnrNH4WiNMIsQyILtg

Maybe not this close...lol, but yeah, it'll be just for range time so size weight isn't too big an issue. I guess I could just get a taller tripod .

Thanks

I love my Sunrise Tactical Mat. Very durable and packs down small for when I pack in to shooting spots. For times when I want padding I have a blue foam mat that I take and place under the Shooting Mat and it works well. Plus when its covered in mud/beaten to death, just pitch and replace with a new one for $10.

Range days when it's going to and from the car. Padding and lightweight (took me over a year to figure out there were tent stakes in it. when I took them out the mat go lighter to carry)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/169107/midwayusa-competition-shooting-mat

For the outside of the pack for days I'm not on a flat range and need to bring a mat with me. One time we were laying in a cow patty field for a course and I had to put the mat in a large trash bag after I was done shooting to put it in my car (I bring 1 large and 1 medium trash bag in my pack at all times)
very minimalistic. pretty much a roll up durable waterproof tarp in the shape of a shooting mat
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939459074/midwayusa-packable-shooting-mat

I got a nice mat from Midway for $29.99. All the colors had different pricing on their pro mats but,right at Christmas their Pro OD Green mat was on sale for $29.99. Replaced the roll up yoga mat I had been using for about a year.

Another vote for the Midway mat. I like the padding it provides for long days at prairie dog towns.

The Midway mats are great for what they cost! I'll use mine until it tears up (which I don't see happening anytime soon).

Tab gear bag is a great value. Not padded, but usually isn't a problem.

Is it bad that I use the NC Star shooting mat/gun case? lol. It was about 50 or 60 bucks, I actually like it. Has some padding, and some pockets, holds the rifle inside which makes it easy to go to the practice range. Just slip the gun in there, grab my backpack and off I go.

That actually looks like a fine mat to me. Good enough to shoot from. I was happy when I used a tarp, but I've always shot from sand or grass.

Is it bad that I use the NC Star shooting mat/gun case? lol. It was about 50 or 60 bucks, I actually like it. Has some padding, and some pockets, holds the rifle inside which makes it easy to go to the practice range. Just slip the gun in there, grab my backpack and off I go.

I have one of these as well. It's not the best quality drag bag/shooting mat, but it's great for the price. I've been using it for 2 years on my backup rifle that I bring to the range with me every time I shoot without any issues.

Only downside is that when it is subject to unfavorable weather you need to make sure to let it air out and possibly clean it, which is inconvenient when it's your rifle case.

I have a Traid mat that rolls up nicely and fits on my pack well for days that require moving around shooting positions. I also just got a Midway competition mat for $30 +/- on sale, has a lot of padding and is plenty big, just not as portable as it carries like a gun case and does not fit on my pack. I use the Midway when I am staying in one spot.

CrossTac is my go to, just don't leave then in sun for crazy long periods as the material does fade a bit. Then again, AZ sun seems to bleach everything

I have been using the MidwayUSA Pro Series Competition shooting mat for about 8 months now and love it. I do most of my shooting in brush and gravel and the mat has held up extremely well.

I like the Cabelas mat also. Lots of padding and even with the dark areas in direct sunlight it doesn't get real hot. Great for the range but wouldn't pack it. Comes on sale often if not in a hurry.

I found a sleeping bag at a Goodwill for 8 bucks, camouflage colored and padded. Good enough for my use.

Blackhawk mat on top of self-made ground cover.

Works great for range trips - a bit heavy and large for for humping around in my opinion.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/image.ibb.co\/fSiP8v\/IMG_1028.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Midway Pro series is a good mat for the money. About $30 when they have a sale.

Blackhawk mat on top of self-made ground cover.

Works great for range trips - a bit heavy and large for for humping around in my opinion.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/image.ibb.co\/fSiP8v\/IMG_1028.jpg"}[/IMG2]

there is a lot of awesomeness happening in this picture. thats it.

I use a tab gear mat, does a fine job. For me I'd rather have a mat that rolls up into small roll that's easy to strap on to my shooting bag.

Best parts of padded and portable, and US made:
https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-...oting-Mat.html

Triad Tactical Padded Shooting Mat Review

PSM.jpg

I have the Triad mat on my callout pack. I have the TAB gear mat when I want something less bulky. I also have one of the old Eagle Industries tri-fold drag bag/mat/rifle case that I sometimes use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one of these as well. It's not the best quality drag bag/shooting mat, but it's great for the price. I've been using it for 2 years on my backup rifle that I bring to the range with me every time I shoot without any issues.

Only downside is that when it is subject to unfavorable weather you need to make sure to let it air out and possibly clean it, which is inconvenient when it's your rifle case.

We joke, but I bought one and use it for work and have beat mine senseless as a drag bag and shooting mat for three years with no damage showing yet! Filled with dirt, but no splitting. Great for the price. My next will be an eberlestock though. Becoming more legit over time :p

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We joke, but I bought one and use it for work and have beat mine senseless as a drag bag and shooting mat for three years with no damage showing yet! Filled with dirt, but no splitting. Great for the price. My next will be an eberlestock though. Becoming more legit over time :p

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I know - I bought it when I didn't know much else, but it's held up to quite a bit of abuse.

I got the big mat from Cabelas last winter and it worked great till the weather warmed up. Then the black non slip surfaces turned to cooking surfaces. I had to flip the darn thing over and still the dark green was pretty warm. I ordered 2 mats from midway in desert tan to use in summer months so you can actually stand to lay down on the dang things. The black works well in winter but if you dont want to have 2 mats stay clear.

I use this one from Midway. I can carry bags, ammo, kestrel, rangefinder all in one setup. It's great for me because come summertime I shoot groundhogs nearly every night at our farm. It's quick and easy to carry it to the field, unfold and get set up. Plus it has a pretty good base to it which makes for very comfortable extended shooting sessions

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939497671/midwayusa-heavy-duty-shooting-mat-tactical-rifle-case

+1 for CrossTac. I have the roll up version it's nice, but I would consider it a little narrow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk