• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting movers

Dunraven

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
When shooting 'movers', is it correct to dial in wind so that the leads are then equal in each direction? Or, woud it be better to dial in the lead, and hold for wind? Thx.

Last edited:
I would dial the wind and hold the lead. Your wind direction will stay the same but the mover moving back and forth will change your lead to either side of the cross hair. So if your lead was 1 mil and you dialed you would have 0 mil one direction and 2 mils the other

I would dial the wind and hold the lead. Your wind direction will stay the same but the mover moving back and forth will change your lead to either side of the cross hair. So if your lead was 1 mil and you dialed you would have 0 mil one direction and 2 mils the other
Thx. I thought that would simplify things, but couldn't quite get my head around it!

depends on the situation. it might be simpler/quicker to just hold for both.
if was doing overwatch for hours in an area with constant wind at one distance, i would probably dial for wind.
if i had target areas at different distances, dialing for wind would be a time waster.

depends on the situation. it might be simpler/quicker to just hold for both.
if was doing overwatch for hours in an area with constant wind at one distance, i would probably dial for wind.
if i had target areas at different distances, dialing for wind would be a time waster.
what i had in mind was prs-type situations, where the distance is fixed. i'd have to hope that the wind was a relative constant, knowing it won't be exactly. learned shooting movers in the field by having to calculate with the mathematical formula. would dread having to do that in a match, but now it's in a kestrel or phone app n i'm learning how to use them.