• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting my first comp

tubby1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
What's up guys? So, here soon Im going to be shooting my first comp since getting into the precision rifle game. Was just wondering if i could get some input on what other people take with them to matches as far as gear, how to prepare, what to expect etc. Also, any suggestions on ammo management that would save me from stuffing bulky plastic containers in my pack would be awesome too. Biggest thing Im wondering about in terms of gear at the moment are bags. What to take and how many? Current line of thought is a decent rear bag that can also strap to the rifle and be used for barricades, paired with a pump pillow, or similar offering.

Testing if Tapatalk is working.

Match Director can tell you what you need.
Basics are Precision Rifle, sling, bipod, Data(D.O.P.E.), backpack, ammo, support bags(i.e. Rear bag), and eyes and ear protection. As a new shooter people are more likely to help you out if you don't have certain equipment(i.e. Tripod with hog saddle, weather meter, range finder and so on).

Suggestion on ammo is ammo binders. You can checkout tab gear they have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put my ammo in a ziplock bag. Rear bag/Barricade bag and a bag you can strap to your elbow for support is nice. I use Armageddon Gear bags. A wrist coach is handy. I find some belt mounted mag holders would be much more convenient that mags in my pockets. After your first comp you'll quickly learn what you need or don't. Don't expect anything. Be safe, have fun, and learn.

Ive been looking hard at the armageddon gear large fat bag. Like the idea of the tapered designed, and of course it being 40 dollars less than a pump pillow is nice too. They're sling looks like it'd be a good one too. Anybody have any suggestions on a tripod?

Keep it simple for your first match.
Btw a bank bag is handy for loose ammo.
If the RO's allow it police brass for the other shooters and they'll do the same for you.
Listen to the RO's and the other shooters, I'll bet you'll be shooting with some good shooters.
Don't worry about accessories until you have shot enough to know what you like and need.
Good luck and have fun.

R

cool, like that approach. Didn't want to spend a ton on stuff before a match cuz like ya said i dont even know what i like at this point. Ive got a rear bag/barricade bag i like and was thinking about trying to DIY a larger bag to mimic a pump or fat bag.

Also, found these on midway. kind of like a bullet binder but a lot cheaper. Of course they're out of stock at the moment. just throwing that up incase somebody else would be interested too
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939410668/midwayusa-folding-rifle-ammunition-case-molle-compatible

I really like the TAB Gear Silent Ammo Carrier for ammo/brass management. It will hold 100 or so rounds and has a divider in it so the empties don't get mixed in with your live rounds. As for bags, take what you currently have. If you're lacking a piece of equipment, someone in your squad will most likely lend you what you need. If you don't have a wrist coach, take a sharpie to write your dope on the back of your hand if you have multiple targets on a stage. Concentrate on making hits instead of shooting fast, pay attention, be safe, ask questions, and have fun! Then post afterwards so we know how it went!

So, yesterday was the match. This was just a club match at a range about 2 hrs from my house, but it was in the style of a PRS affiliated event.Lots of positional shooting, and targets from 140 yards out to 925 yards. There was definitely a learning curve at the beginning as far as knowing what I should do before I shot each stage so I was prepared. Lol there were at least three stages where I forgot to have my scope dialed for the first target, as well as leaving my safety on and spending the first 15 secs wondering why the gun wasn't going boom. Also, the conditions were horrible. It rained steady the entire night before, and continued to rain through the morning as we were shooting. Things were very soupy. Luckily, I scored some rain gear the day before so I managed to stay fairly dry. Good thing too because we were laying, sitting, kneeling in all kinds of puddles, mud, etc. It was awesome. lol

All things considered I was very happy with how I shot. Things started off a little shaky, but as the day progressed I started to figure things out and found a groove. Made some consistent hits when hits were few and far between at times. It was definitely a tough day of shooting considering the weather. At times, it was hard for a guy to stay positive. Especially when I was up to my ass in mud, going on hour 4 of standing in a steady rain, and all my shit was soaked and dirty, but at the end of the day I had some good stories and an awesome trip with my buddies. All-in-all it was a helluva way to pop the competition cherry. haha

I think the phrase that I heard was, "If it ain't raining, you ain't training." While I don't believe in Murphy, crap weather just seems to be a constant. Nothing like the hot shower at the end of the day.

It sounds like you are hooked like the rest of us. Something about the tough weather matches grabs you inside and you want to do it again. Or maybe some of us are just crazy.

glad that you had a good time.