• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shooting off a tripod

lowpro

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2012
Northwest
I've noticed that bipods are not very useful for most of the field conditions that I shoot in, so I built a tripod. It's great and gets me up above the grass and is much more stable than a tall bipod. My question is are there any speacial tricks/tips to shooting off a tripod?

Re: Shooting off a tripod

I have found that obtaining natural point of aim is super important with tripod. Many guys find that by staying square to gun and target you are most likely going to find your natural point of aim. I also find that finding the point where the rifle balances itself on the tripod is the sweet spot. I like to "lock" my support arm around tripod head AND the rifle's bipod legs (deployed down). This helps me stabilize the whole position. Not everyone likes to lock their support arm with the tripod, preferring instead to support the butt stock.

After you find the position that is most stable for you, practice, practice, practice. Dry fire is great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found that obtaining natural point of aim is super important with tripod. Many guys find that by staying square to gun and target you are most likely going to find your natural point of aim. I also find that finding the point where the rifle balances itself on the tripod is the sweet spot. I like to "lock" my support arm around tripod head AND the rifle's bipod legs (deployed down). This helps me stabilize the whole position. Not everyone likes to lock their support arm with the tripod, preferring instead to support the butt stock.

After you find the position that is most stable for you, practice, practice, practice. Dry fire is great.

</div></div>

I apologize for dovetailing this in the Advanced subforum, but could you explain what exactly you mean by finding your "natural" point of aim?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WillPower</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I apologize for dovetailing this in the Advanced subforum, but could you explain what exactly you mean by finding your "natural" point of aim? </div></div>

Natural Point of AIm is one of the basics. Google this forum to find lots of stuff on it. Here is some more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_point_of_aim

I still need more practice with mine, but here's what's worked for me so far. Orient the tripod with one leg pointed towards the target, then unhook the sling from the the buttstock and wrap it tightly around the rear support side leg and hold it there with your support hand. I try to position the rifle in the cradle slightly behind the balance point so that when I lean in to the tripod and shoulder the rifle it moves forward a bit putting tension on the sling which helps to control the rifle under recoil. Then try to run the fundamentals.

This is using a prs cradle style tripod, not the clamp in type.