• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Shooting off of a rope

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    I built a practice barricade last weekend. in one of the squares, I put a piece of rope because in the last few matches I've shot, they all seemed to have a rope stage.

For those unfamiliar with the rope, it is just a piece of rope tied between two uprights and you rest the rifle on the rope to engage targets.

Back on topic, I struggle keeping the rifle even remotely stable. I've scoured the internets and the YouTube trying to find ways to maintain a stable shooting position and have come up short.

Does anyone have any info on how to shoot these types of stages?

Thanks,

I've found you need to get the butt end stable for a rope. And I like to hook it on a stop or bipod and pull back a little with the shooting hand. If it's low enough a modified kneeling works, with/without a pillow. [gamer] If it's tall, a tripod is your best friend. [/gamer]

I don't have a tripod yet but it's on the list. any ideas on how to shoot it without one?

I've tried pushing the rifle into the right side where the rope attaches and that helps a bit, but it's still lacking.

depends on the height of said rope. Just borrow a tripod from somone else that is usually in the squad. OW consider a large pack or something similar. less muscles put in to it the better. The rifle needs to just rest upon the rope and the stability comes from the rear support. You could even use your vertical tibia and pinch the buttstock into your shin for a kneeling rope support type shot if you're flexible enough.

I'm pretty new to precision rifle matches so this advice is worth exactly what you're paying for it.

I come from a highpower rifle background, where static tension in your position is your friend. The one and only time I've come across the rope, My approach was to take all the slack out of it by using both my weight and sling tension (sling clipped to my belt buckle). The rope was low enough that I could kneel, so my right knee gave my right elbow (I shoot RH) a place to sit. I leaned fwd as much as I could while keeping the muzzle on target, then tightened the sling with my left hand. Left hand up to the front of the stock and let all that force acting down and fwd on the rope take as much of the slack and swing out of it.

Musta worked because I scored a 5/10 on that stage, which was considered a very good score. Squad before me's high score was a 4.

If you dont have a tripod, let that thing float free with as much stock support as you can muster to slow down the swing. Ive seen bags work if its low enough, or grab your shirt and rest your rifle on that hand.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try some of these out in some dry fire tonight and see how they work. I never thought to use a sling in the process.

I never thought to use a sling in the process.
    Most people don't, and are missing out on a very useful tool.

I got the idea for this particular technique (sling clipped to belt buckle via carabiner) from Joshua Stabler, the guy who makes the hog saddles. He has some videos on youtube showing the technique to add stability to a tripod. I didn't take much imagination to replace the tripod with any other object that you would rest or lay the rifle on to shoot from.

The gamer way would be to run your tripod up front actually supporting the rifle and only technically support the rifle on the rope. If they said no tripods at all, then there would be little rear support. I suppose you could run a tall set of sticks in the back or something similar (bipod-ish) for rear support. I would think - this is w/o trying it if you had rear support of some kind, you would want to stabalize the rope itself. The rope moving would be what is causing the problem. If you can use a sling to pull downwards on the rope in some fashion it should make the rope move less making the prop more stable - so something to accomplish this would be the goal.

Thanks Fred and 308pirate. I tried using a sling connected to the forearm of the rifle on one end, and the other end connected to my belt loop last night. This helped, but there has to be a better way. This weekend I'll try connecting the sling between the rope and a belt loop, while pushing a barricade stop on the rifle into the rope. I think this will put enough tension on the rope to better stabilize the position. I'll let you know how it goes.

As others have said, tripod in some way, shape, or form is best.

If not allowed, throw a fortune cookie or other bag in the rope and free recoil. Can also use a pump pillow or like bag under your strong side elbow. And as others said, a sling can be incorporated as well.

The weight of fortune cookie + rifle puts tension on the rope, and then it’s all about either free recoil or supporting the rear of the gun somehow.

I built a practice barricade last weekend. in one of the squares, I put a piece of rope because in the last few matches I've shot, they all seemed to have a rope stage.

For those unfamiliar with the rope, it is just a piece of rope tied between two uprights and you rest the rifle on the rope to engage targets.

Back on topic, I struggle keeping the rifle even remotely stable. I've scoured the internets and the YouTube trying to find ways to maintain a stable shooting position and have come up short.

Does anyone have any info on how to shoot these types of stages?

Thanks,
    I did much the same. As others have said a tripod or large pack on the rear really helps. But I think you’ll find more and more saying no tripod or bipod - to keep those super creative from being so. I’ve seen guys shoot under the rope off a bipod. This image is a repost of a great shooter bring really “creative”.
    A4CF4AF0-AE61-440C-8649-364F4C6609CB.jpeg

I try to use a knee and support the elbow if it is a “no bag, no tripod stage”.

Here is my practice device. I also vary the height - by extending the tripod. The tripod in the picture is just for the practice device. (I made the opening a bit to small so 1/2 the battle is just getting the gun in.)

Btw if you free-recoil a rope forget having any idea what happened.

Last edited:
    In the above picture of Jake shooting over the rope, the rules said you couldn't have your bipod touching the ground - which is how he got creative - it was a great way to game that part of the stage. He shill had to shoot like the rest of us on the other parts of that stage - on the ropes above, and bars to the right :). If I had thought of doing it that way, I certainly would have done it as well ;-).

Reactions: JOrisman
    In the above picture of Jake shooting over the rope, the rules said you couldn't have your bipod touching the ground - which is how he got creative - it was a great way to game that part of the stage. He shill had to shoot like the rest of us on the other parts of that stage - on the ropes above, and bars to the right :). If I had thought of doing it that way, I certainly would have done it as well ;-).
    :) He is so damn good either way

Me too Fred! That was a great match and glad I was squadded with you!

I would try to wedge the rifle against the side post (if you’re able to) using my left arm across the optic, grabbing onto the side post. This of course if your unable to use a tripod as support. I would also use a game changer type bag to rest it on, or one of bison Tactical’s udders.

We had a .22lr stage recently in which you had to use the rope, no bag or sling.

The barricade frame was narrow enough you could wrap your arm around one 2x4 and then grab the other. You then use your arm under the rifle or magazine.

I could see this working with centerfire with a fortune cookie or other bag on the rope as well.

Reliving this to ask for words of wisdom when the rope is linked to a tree or frame just from one side and free in the other...

when the rope is linked to a tree or frame just from one side and free in the other...

The rope can't be linked to an object on one end and free on the other end. That would mean one end of it is laying on the ground.

You need to explain this setup in a way that makes sense.

Reactions: stello1001
    Going to take a wild guess and say the rope is attached via one point in away that it hangs vertically to the ground. Gym rope style perhaps?
    Cheers
    Pete

Reactions: giumau1
    Going to take a wild guess and say the rope is attached via one point in away that it hangs vertically to the ground. Gym rope style perhaps?
    Cheers
    Pete
    Perspective is everything. I hadn't thought of that.

I've shot off a swinging cattle gate before.
    I shot it like shit, but I pushed the rifle into the ring on the gate to try and stabilize, but it didn't work well.

This may work on a hanging rope also.

The rope can't be linked to an object on one end and free on the other end. That would mean one end of it is laying on the ground.

You need to explain this setup in a way that makes sense.
    Just open my avatar and see me trying to survive that stage shooting a 19 pounds desert tech SRS 6.5 cm...
    it is my nightmare since then

Hi,

1616615951373.png

So, question....what was in the COF manual in regards to what could and could not be done with the loose end of that rope?
    Did it require the loose end to remain on the ground?
    Did it leave it open to the shooter to determine what they wanted to do with it?

Sincerely,
    Theis

This match was fun.

The rope stage.
    No gamer shit (bags or tripods). Sit on Ammo can & shoot off rope sitting on swinging platform. Targets near and far with berms 100 - 300 yds behind targets (couldn't see shit if/when you missed). If I remember right targets were about 275 & 450.

My takeaway was mag down to about 6-7x & I'd have had an easier time with 55 gr .223 vs. 175 308

Not me shooting, he had .223 as did most.

62533131874__012C3E05-8B69-40DF-BF74-53F7ED7CB22A.jpg

Hi,

So, question....what was in the COF manual in regards to what could and could not be done with the loose end of that rope?
    Did it require the loose end to remain on the ground?
    Did it leave it open to the shooter to determine what they wanted to do with it?

Sincerely,
    Theis
    the cof was open, tripod allowed

They key is......like with any positions, you want to have as much contact with the ground as you can. If you can use a tripod, then o like to rest the front of the rifle near the end of the hand guard on the rope and then the tripod under your but stock.

this first pic was a few years ago before all the railchanger shit came out. Shot it out of a van. Rested front of rifle on the strap and used the seat rest and a pump pillow for rear support. Was very stable.
    1616626346869.jpeg

this picture was this last fall (2020). The strap was just high enough that you couldn’t really get prone, even for a tall guy like me (6’4”) so I used the railchanger with the schmedium bag on the strap and my pack as rear support. As someone mentioned above, the heavier sand filled weighted bags work well from the gravity pulling down the strap and taking tension out.

1616626482961.jpeg

Gotcha, so in the end it's not Tarzan stage, but 'the Sailor' one, aka 'make a knot on the clock...' I have to brush up my slipknot making skills.

Hi,

Or just use the tripod as you did mention it could be used, lol.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    The knot is brilliant, just a matter of don't get stressed and place it at the right height, then use the most comfortable position and rifle butt support (sitting down with a pillow, kneeling...). I would use the tripod just if the MD forces a full standup shooting position

I did much the same. As others have said a tripod or large pack on the rear really helps. But I think you’ll find more and more saying no tripod or bipod - to keep those super creative from being so. I’ve seen guys shoot under the rope off a bipod. This image is a repost of a great shooter bring really “creative”.
    View attachment 6938179

I try to use a knee and support the elbow if it is a “no bag, no tripod stage”.

Here is my practice device. I also vary the height - by extending the tripod. The tripod in the picture is just for the practice device. (I made the opening a bit to small so 1/2 the battle is just getting the gun in.)

Btw if you free-recoil a rope forget having any idea what happened.

Good stuff, thanks

They key is......like with any positions, you want to have as much contact with the ground as you can. If you can use a tripod, then o like to rest the front of the rifle near the end of the hand guard on the rope and then the tripod under your but stock.

this first pic was a few years ago before all the railchanger shit came out. Shot it out of a van. Rested front of rifle on the strap and used the seat rest and a pump pillow for rear support. Was very stable.
    View attachment 7589804

this picture was this last fall (2020). The strap was just high enough that you couldn’t really get prone, even for a tall guy like me (6’4”) so I used the railchanger with the schmedium bag on the strap and my pack as rear support. As someone mentioned above, the heavier sand filled weighted bags work well from the gravity pulling down the strap and taking tension out.

View attachment 7589807
    Thanks for this