• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting off of Bipod w/ Body In-Line w/ Rifle

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
I used to shoot prone off a bipod w/ my body at a 15 degree angle. I am changing so that my body is directly in line w/ the rifle. Not so much for an AR15 but more so to be more consistent in heavier recoiling rifles (.308, 300WM). Anyway, when I would shoot w/ my body at an angle, my nose would touch the charging handle for consistent check weld. The scope was 1.5" in-front of thge charging handle (which is more forward than most scopes that I see on AR's).

With my body in line with the rifle, there is no way that I can get my nose on the charging handle. My head just is not comfortable and the scope would have to move even further forward. How important is it to have my nose on the charging handle? Or conversely, how important is it to have my body directly in-line w/ the rifle?

One other issue that I have when lined up in line with the rifle is that the heel of the stock really digs into my body. I position it just below the collarbone, but nomatter what it digs in and is not comfortable.

Last edited:
Nose to charging handle is completely unimportant, IMHO.
However, having your body in line with the rifle is critical. I have found that even a minor misalignment with the gun on a .308 gasser is enough to cause the rifle to hop on the bipod. If I am lined up with the rifle, it is easy to spot my hits.

Mount the optic where it needs to be for proper eye relief without craning your neck and with your body lined up directly behind the rifle.
Dont worry about how close your nose is to the charging handle.

Funny, I originally read your first two sentences to mean that you were once quite fat but have been making dietary or exercise changes.

That is all, carry on...

Don't get too hung up on all the geometric mindfuck.

Everybody has a different shape. Make yourself comfortable and relaxed with your rifle with good support and a good natural point-of-aim.

When you are making a position in the field, chances are the terrain will not let you find a classroom-perfect position anyway.

Don't get too hung up on all the geometric mindfuck.

Everybody has a different shape. Make yourself comfortable and relaxed with your rifle with good support and a good natural point-of-aim.

When you are making a position in the field, chances are the terrain will not let you find a classroom-perfect position anyway.

Exactly what he said ^^^^

Some have said the same already bu here is how i have had to deal with it....

i have noticed on the AR platforms that when going prone most scope mounts are just too low. I have had to use a quality riser mount 1/2” to get more comfortable behind the rifle and not have my head soo far down.

Just do what makes you comfortable. If its an odd position or you find yourself straining to get a good i relief you will know on the bigger caliber AR’s as the recoil will get unpleasant.

Nose to charging handle is completely unimportant, IMHO.
However, having your body in line with the rifle is critical. I have found that even a minor misalignment with the gun on a .308 gasser is enough to cause the rifle to hop on the bipod. If I am lined up with the rifle, it is easy to spot my hits.

Mount the optic where it needs to be for proper eye relief without craning your neck and with your body lined up directly behind the rifle.
Dont worry about how close your nose is to the charging handle.

I kind of came to this conclusion - that there is no way to get my nose on the charging handle. I will put my head in a comfortable position and move the scope back for proper eye relief.

One other issue that I have when lined up in line with the rifle is that the heel of the stock really digs into my body. I position it just below the collarbone, but no matter what it digs in and is not comfortable. I my have to get a taller butt pad for my Sig 716 DMR (which has a UBR stock and REALLY digs in).

What everyone has said so far, in line with the rifle is important. You are having to rebuild your position from what you have been use to for however long you been shooting that way. Now to cover the stock issue. Follow this technique, which in return will give you the proper eye relief you need to be consistent.

First, while getting into that good prone position, and just before you settle in, let's say your at 80% of your position, place the stock in the pocket of your shoulder, then settle in the last 20% to complete your position. By doing this, the stock gets seated into the pocket. The last 20% of settling in may push your rifle slightly forward, and doing so loads the bipod ever so slightly. Once your complete, you have consistent loaded rifle, and your eye relief is spot on. No need to worry about nose to charging handle anymore.

Now, by placing the stock into the shoulder before that last bit of settling in, also puts the rifle in line with the body horizontally, giving it a more stable platform during firing. If you place it below your collar bone, it is not it line, and energy during recoil is not being distributed into your body. Your basically laying on top of your rifle if you do that.

I place mine in the shoulder of my pocket, which where my collar bone is. No way around it and I have no issues during recoil.

I place mine in the shoulder of my pocket, which where my collar bone is. No way around it and I have no issues during recoil.
What do you mean by this? Do you put the heal of the stock just below the collar bone or what 'pocket' are you talking about?

You have to move the scopes and set the rifle back up for being straight

The angled prone position was for shooting with a sling. This put the body in position to line the support arm up under the rifle so you can get bone support. Bone support from this position comes by way of the forearm being directly under the rifle. Hence the angle to get the body aligned correctly.

When you move to a bipod or any form of front support, you want to be straight back behind the rifle eliminating the angles. Doing this yo have to move the scope back and/or check the LOP on the rifle. Because this pushes the scope out farther away from, you have to set it all back up correctly.

If your stock is on the collarbone, yes it happens, no big deal, try raising the bipod. People mistake prone for meaning they have to get as low as possible. This is body type dependent. You have to adjust the bipod to help keep the head straight and at times this means raising the bipod and it will move you up changing where the rifle sits in the shoulder pocket.

Prone shooters raise the buttpad on the back of the stock, standing shots you lower it.