• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting out to a mile

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    Not even done with my first bolt action build in 280 Ackley and already want to start another. Was recently turned on to a range near me that has targets from 100yds-1mile. I want to build a second target practice type bolt action that is easily capable out to a mile with cheaper/cheapish (probably tough given the distance) ammo. I know the 280 Ackely can go pretty far but the ammo isn't the cheapest and I'm building that primarily for hunting. I was looking at 300PRC for hunting until I settled on the 280. Would maybe go 300PRC for the purpose. Any recommendations that would be a contender?

300PRC...but I'm highly biased.

Which range you shooting at?

Not even done with my first bolt action build in 280 Ackley and already want to start another. Was recently turned on to a range near me that has targets from 100yds-1mile. I want to build a second target practice type bolt action that is easily capable out to a mile with cheaper/cheapish (probably tough given the distance) ammo. I know the 280 Ackely can go pretty far but the ammo isn't the cheapest and I'm building that primarily for hunting. I was looking at 300PRC for hunting until I settled on the 280. Would maybe go 300PRC for the purpose. Any recommendations that would be a contender?
    For cheaper 300 win mag will do. Brass is way cheaper but if you are just gonna buy ammo the 300 prc looks best

Reactions: secondofangle2
    Shooting at 7 Foxtrot in Pearsall, TX.

I would just be buying ammo but I am also looking to get in to reloading in the future. No room at the house to accommodate a reloading area right now.

Reactions: GunnyF
    300 PRC is the easy button here without stepping up big time to a Norma everything

or 30SM and shoot factory for now, but then when you reload you'll be set with fireformed brass

I've made hits at 1 mile with 6.5 Creedmoor. Can't get much less expensive than that.
    Interesting. Under what conditions? No disrespect on your shooting abilities, just thought 6.5CM was good to about 13-1400.

My last time shooting a mile a few weeks ago in 30F temps with a nice 7 o'clock wind that was between 10-12mph....I dialed 16.1 mils and held 2 mils of wind and Ding! with the 300 PRC. My 300 PRC makes me look like a much better shooter than I am.

I've made hits at 1 mile with 6.5 Creedmoor. Can't get much less expensive than that.
    Interesting. Under what conditions? No disrespect on your shooting abilities, just thought 6.5CM was good to about 13-1400.
    I’ve also had good success shooting 260 at a bit over a mile.
    Did it quite a few times last summer and fall
    12468D67-C7A1-487D-98B8-D5CC3E6E174F.jpeg

Western Oregon at about 2000 feet elevation.

Honestly my 7 saum is noticeably easier at that distance though

I went ahead and changed my build to a 300PRC. The 280 Ackley is a pretty niche caliber and the 300PRC factory ammo to shoot before I get in to reloading is $20 a box cheaper.

I went ahead and changed my build to a 300PRC. The 280 Ackley is a pretty niche caliber and the 300PRC factory ammo to shoot before I get in to reloading is $20 a box cheaper.

Now...what's the budget on the rifle without glass?

Now...what's the budget on the rifle without glass?
    $3700ish I think. Dropped just over $1300 on the barrel and have a quote from GAP for the Templar V2 and assembly of parts for $2400ish. Already have a Vortex scope I will put on it.

I think I had $2800 in the barreled action including muzzle brake....threaded..timed...blended...plus 300PRC chambering.

You thought about a stock or chassis? Lot's of opinions on the two....and many options on which one you like more....Just make sure whatever you get can take CIP length mags easily and reliably.

Trigger? I prefer the TriggerTech Diamond....but some people don't like single stage triggers.

Scope...you already have. Have fun with the build. My 300 PRC journey has been wonderful coming from a background of 308 and 6.5 creed.

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976

I'm no Carlos Hathcock, but I've done this twice with 6.5CM. Most recently August 25, 2019. Clinton House Plantation in Clinton, SC. I don't have my notes in front of me for weather, but I don't recall it being particularly warm.

+ ~26Mils
    140gr ELD-M
    41.5 RL-17

Tikka T3x Tac A1. The only mod is a Sawtooth ARCA rail bolted on for the bipod. Burris XTR-II 5-25. I ran out of elevation and had to hold ~10 of the 26mil I needed. Wind was funky that day, the range goes through a what is basically a power line cut, then across a 2-3 acre lake then the last couple hundred yards are a meadow. Ended up holding pretty much dead on for windage.

4/10 hits on a 2'x3' (Edit: I'm pretty sure those are the dimensions, I could be wrong) steel confirmed with Magneto flasher. This was part of a "Mile Day" that Clinton House puts on every so often. Mike Sexton was on the spotting scope and managing the shooters that day.

rough figures:
    $1700 Tikka
    $300 Spuhr
    $850 Burris
    $200 Atlas
    $100 rail

$3,350 plus ammo and a bag. Oh, and the Omega.

IMG_9566.jpeg

Last edited:
    Don't count out a good 7mm, like a 7saum or 7mm Rem Mag. If you're not hunting with it, then energy on target is not all that necessary. The 7mag can push heavy high BC 7mm bullets fairly fast and the ammo is everywhere. A good 30 will probably beat it with the new heavy bullets, but at the cost of recoil. So, gotta weigh your options there.

To shoot a mile once a year or once a week? 197's in a 8tw 7mm with speed 7/300win mag 7stw 28 nosler 7/300prc will work well but at the cost of barrel life over a 30 cal. You can sling the 180 class of bullets in the shorts but you give up wind to the bigger 195/7 class of bullets in a bigger case.
    30's you can pick a bunch here but box ammo the PRC would be tough to beat. 300norma or an improved version. 300Lap 30 nosler 300wby
    338's will have a better splash to see long list here too.

I think I had $2800 in the barreled action including muzzle brake....threaded..timed...blended...plus 300PRC chambering.

You thought about a stock or chassis? Lot's of opinions on the two....and many options on which one you like more....Just make sure whatever you get can take CIP length mags easily and reliably.

Trigger? I prefer the TriggerTech Diamond....but some people don't like single stage triggers.

Scope...you already have. Have fun with the build. My 300 PRC journey has been wonderful coming from a background of 308 and 6.5 creed.
    Already have stock, barrel, and trigger. Went with an AG adjustable hunter (the gun is for elk hunting primarily), proof CF 26" barrel, and TT special. Since the barrel wait time is 8 weeks or so I figured I'd change it from a .284 for the 280AI to a 308 for the 300PRC instead of buying and building a whole new rifle. Which I may do in the future anyways :p

I was only asking. But i went threw this samething have 1 rifle for everything. Hunting and long range targets i found the targets need heavier rifles longer barrels and bigger barrels mtu ect. So kind of hard to pack them around for elk i live in colorado so its not to fun. But then again you can put all your money into 1 rifle best scope best barrels triggers chassis or stock spend tio dollars and have a rem sendero barrel a in between. Berger just released there 245 eol 30 cal bullets crazy high bc but still could hunt with it.

I searched for years to find a nice one. This thing takes the cake. I bought 2
    Have you tried any of the armageddon gear bags? I'm looking for nice support bags as well for when my rifle is built. Just purchased the armageddon gear suppressor cover and their bags are nicely priced, plus a military/LE/Vet discount on top.

Have you tried any of the armageddon gear bags? I'm looking for nice support bags as well for when my rifle is built. Just purchased the armageddon gear suppressor cover and their bags are nicely priced, plus a military/LE/Vet discount on top.
    we all probably have 2 of them

I on this train as well, I have a BT 110 sitting in the safe, I have a .532 bolt face for it as well. All I need now is a barrel. I'll probably just shoot the Hornady eldm's, but the Flatline bullets would be nice. Wonder what twist rate would work with both?

I run a 28inch barrel 1-8 twist and shoot the 225 eldm i went faster twist just in case i wanted to shoot 245 or 250

I'll probably commit to the 225's but I'd like to have enough twist to play with the 198 flat lines "if" I wanted. It's looking like the a 1/9 but I'd like to make sure before I buy a barrel.

I feel like I had one a few years ago. But the fill in the Precision Underground is second to none. Plop the rifle on the bag and it just stays.
    Okay. I may check them out. I bought one piece today (armageddon gear suppressor cover) with this paycheck so it will wait until the next paycheck.

$3700ish I think. Dropped just over $1300 on the barrel and have a quote from GAP for the Templar V2 and assembly of parts for $2400ish. Already have a Vortex scope I will put on it.

Did you say $1300.00 just for the barrel?
    I'm genuinely curious what options were included.

Did you say $1300.00 just for the barrel?
    I'm genuinely curious what options were included.
    My bad. $1300 for barrel and stock. Forgot to put stock in there I guess. But yes it is a proof CF

Last edited:
    308 Win
    208 AMAX
    47.5gn (IIRC) RL-17
    Win Brass
    Wolf Primer
    3.015 COAL

2735 FPS out of a 27.5" 9.5 TW barrel throated for the 208s. 7 out of 10 with light variable breeze. 1772 yd.

Reactions: camotoe
    308 Win
    208 AMAX
    47.5gn (IIRC) RL-17
    Win Brass
    Wolf Primer
    3.015 COAL

2735 FPS out of a 27.5" 9.5 TW barrel throated for the 208s. 7 out of 10 with light variable breeze. 1772 yd.
    "I like that" Have you ever shoot a solid?

Your best bet is to learn to reload. You can then choose high BC bullets to get you out there. It isn't about the power, it's about the efficiency of the bullet. If your new "hunting" rig is accurate and the twist in the barrel is tight enough, then you can start using it to shoot that far. The big issue is the tight twist will stabilize the heavy high BC 7mm projectiles. And, FWIW, a 1-10" twist will stabilize 168 Bergers and those will get you to a mile.

I'd add that it isn't just about high BC...it's about consistent BC. That's what Berger seems to preach....however, love Hornady or hate Hornady...the 230 grain A-Tips are like nothing I've ever shot before. Their consistency for me at 1mile has put me on a level I thought I never could be on.

I'd add that it isn't just about high BC...it's about consistent BC. That's what Berger seems to preach....however, love Hornady or hate Hornady...the 230 grain A-Tips are like nothing I've ever shot before. Their consistency for me at 1mile has put me on a level I thought I never could be on.
    Is it Berger preaching it, or Nammo doing so through Berger, Lol? I've shot hybrids since they came out, I think 2011, but the most consistent bullet I have ever shot was a Lapua 6.5mm 138 scenar L.
    I piss money away like no other, but have a tough time with A-tips price. Glad it works for you, and would care to hear more.

I shoot my 6 Dasher to 1600 on nice days, does not too do bad, 110 Sierra at 2920fps, we all do fantastic things on calm days.

What I like about the 230gr A-tips....when you are shooting 'short stuff' like 1000 yards...but on a crappy day....it just seems like they laugh at wind. On the 1 mile stuff....it just seems so much more predictable to hold your wind...and a lot less of it. I've been fairly successful shooting a 168gr match 308 in the past...or a 147gr 6.5cm....but the 230gr A-Tip in a 300 PRC is like hitting the easy button.

I know we shoot better when we are confident...and the 300PRC with 230gr A-Tips just gives me a ton of confidence...so much so...that when you miss....you are simply confused and start doing some hard thinking of why/how you missed.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
    I was going to NOT post anymore on these 1 mile threads since I still at 600, BUT :)
    When you miss, what are you missing?

Well...I've missed about everything....heh. I've missed 12" plates....18" plates...24" plates....and recently a 36" plate with a 20-35mph variable wind....just couldn't time it right. But that 8" target at 600 starts getting really really small past 1000.

@Rocketvapor look at previous page. I've missed 12", 18", 24", and 36" targets at a mile...then again I've hit them all as well. My personal best is a 36" target at 2500yds....with a 3-15 Vortex Viper PST Gen II....that's one of those chest poking out saying hell yea and walk in a circle like a chicken hawk for 10 mins....moment.

@Rocketvapor look at previous page. I've missed 12", 18", 24", and 36" targets at a mile...then again I've hit them all as well. My personal best is a 36" target at 2500yds....with a 3-15 Vortex Viper PST Gen II....that's one of those chest poking out saying hell yea and walk in a circle like a chicken hawk for 10 mins....moment.
    Yup...I did that too! Got situated back behind my rifle, and couldn't hit a damn thing!!:mad: :unsure: :mad:. Settled down and figured out what was ever so slightly different. I got back down behind the rifle and hit again at one mile.

That's an IPSC steel target. The other thing that made it easier was you could spot your own misses in the dry desert. A nice big puff of dust to see as you had four seconds to get back on target.

Reactions: jasent