• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting out to a mile

I'd add that it isn't just about high BC...it's about consistent BC. That's what Berger seems to preach....however, love Hornady or hate Hornady...the 230 grain A-Tips are like nothing I've ever shot before. Their consistency for me at 1mile has put me on a level I thought I never could be on.
Nice to hear on A-tips im running the 225 eldm and found them very constant so far but wanting to try the atips

Nice to hear on A-tips im running the 225 eldm and found them very constant so far but wanting to try the atips

To be honest...I'm running the 225 ELD-M's for the 1000yd and in stuff...just auto-magic in a reasonable wind. On nice calm days....very nice on the targets up to a mile. You will have to do your own testing and see if the price difference is worth it needed at the distances you are shooting.

I made the decision that while I love the 250gr A-Tips...the trade off for not being able to magazine load for me was a buzz kill. I really didn't see that much....well any difference at 1 mile. Now in April when the 1mile paper matches start....then I may change my tune there...since they have to be single loaded by rule. Probably mill me out a single shot follower out of some aluminum.....or maybe look at a 3D printed magazine with a single shot follower at the top.

"I like that" Have you ever shoot a solid?
No, never shot solids out of a 30 cal. Got to play with some solids out of a 375 VM for a little bit before I sold it. Definitely a learning curve in the transition to solids from jacketed lead.

Just a general comment: solids may be longer than "normal" and checking barrel twist rate would be a good idea for bullet stabilization

Everybody should be specifying hit percentage and target size with these tales of bravado at 1 mile.

There’s a big difference between walking one in with a big pile of brass on the ground and reliably connecting in the first 3 shots on a MOA (18”) sized target at a mile if there is ANY variability in conditions (wind, ranging error, temperature, etc.). which are “real world” conditions

I have a good 3000 yard range and a 36” target y’all can come and practice on out in Utah. But the wind is constantly shifting. :)

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
@secondofangle2

Sunday at TVP. New brass/bullet/powder combo. 300PRC. Old load was 16.2 to a mile and the new load said 15.5 in software. I didn't believe it and was very high on first shot at 1 mile on 18" round plate. Still didn't believe it...went down .5mil and shot again....still too high. Connected on the 6th shot after I got my head out of my ass. Then it was 4 more shots in a row for hit.

Next went 10 yards right and hit the 12" plate on the second-5th shot....wind switch had me miss the first one. Dialed down and shot some 1000yd targets and some unknown stuff at 400-800 off to the side...practicing milling....then dialed back up to 15.5 and first round hit on the 18" and then the 12"....told my buddy I was bored...with a smile on my face.

It was a good day....most of the times I shoot worse.

Here’s my normal target at the mile spot.
753F281B-B532-4C7F-BE64-E1FCE2E3C4DE.jpeg

16” gong.
With the 260 on calm or steady wind days I’ve been as high as 50% but most days less but that was an exceptional day of conditions and me being at my best.

In about a dozen times that I’ve shot there I’ve made one first round hit(conditions were exactly the same as previous week) and a few 2nd or third round hits

Most of time it’s 2 hits then the wind changed and you have to figure it out again.
It’s a quite steep small valley perpendicular to a bigger steep Valley and the winds can be pretty interesting at times.
When my buddy with the gasser 6.5 CM is there we shoot a 24”x24 square.

kinda cool to see a 20” gasser with factory ammunition get hits.

Like Steel Head and others have said, WIND...it will swallow ammo quickly, regardless of caliber. Where we shoot, the terrain is quite varied and the winds gusty at 10-30 mph (or higher) at times. Here you can go 0 for 5 one minute and then 5 for 5 the next. At the end of the day, in the mountainous terrain with the switchy/gusty winds, I figure if I have a 50% hit ratio it was a good day. I've had a couple of days better than 50% but I've also had days where hits were hard to come by and I drive home in a daze, wondering what just happened.

I typically shoot a .300 Norma or .338 Lapua but have connected with a 6.5x47 Lapua and a .284 Winchester. Plate size varies on the shooters who join us but at 1850 yards it's usually a 24" square; I'll put up a 30" round for new shooters. The 30" round is usually saved for 2000 yards plus but I just got some new steel; a 36" square I'll probably use at 2200 - 3000 yards and a 40" square for anything over 3K. Should be a fun summer.

@The King Ass Hammers it huh? Well that's the scientific word I've been looking for :) 300 PRC is the easy button though. Love mine.

Some good shooting described/documented above.

Sounds like most of the shooters have realized what I realized a while back - I tend to remember, selectively, my best days, which were usually characterized by invariant or very low wind conditions.

Hell, the place I shoot is so variable, I won't even go there if the winds are predicted 10 MPH or greater. Not even worth the bother. I usually head out there when wind is around 5 MPH and even then it is usually very challenging past 1000 yards.

Sniper wannabe,
The choice of bases depends on the amount of internal travel your scope has and the required elevation needed to shoot the distances you are targeting with your rifle, bullet and muzzle velocity. Also depends on if you want a 100 yard zero and/or want to dial the entire elevation or hold the difference between what you a dial and what is necessary.

A 40 MOA base will give you 40 MOA, and approximately 11 MILs, of up travel by taking it from the down travel. Remember, if you want a 100 yard zero, the rise of your base and rings cannot exceed 1/2 of your scope’s internal travel.

As an example, I zero my 300 Norma at 100 yards with a Gen 2 4.5-27x56 Razor with 28.5 MILs of internal travel using a 50 MOA base, approximately 13.5 MIL, and easily have enough travel to dial out to 2000 yards using Hornady 225 ELD-Ms going 2950 fps.

I would recommend getting the 40 MOA base if your scope has the allowable internal travel.

Hope this helps...

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Just curious is their a need for a 40 moa scope base ? I’m in the market for one any was originally going to get a 20 but they offer a 40 for same price
With the common 28-30+ mils of elevation in scopes I could dial bit past a mile with my 260 with a 30 moa rail.

I’m thinking of getting a 45 moa rail for my 7 saum.

With the common 28-30+ mils of elevation in scopes I could dial bit past a mile with my 260 with a 30 moa rail.

I’m thinking of getting a 45 moa rail for my 7 saum.
How far you gonna shoot with 45 moa rail? What scope?

How far you gonna shoot with 45 moa rail? What scope?
Chronus
I run out of elevation at 1910 at current DA’s
I have a nice place close to home that I can do 2000-2300 for some occasional fun.
Plus I’ll be more centered up in the 1200-1600 range that I’ve been shooting a lot lately.

Chronus
I run out of elevation at 1910 at current DA’s
I have a nice place close to home that I can do 2000-2300 for some occasional fun.
Plus I’ll be more centered up in the 1200-1600 range that I’ve been shooting a lot lately.
Does the 20 moa rail not work? Or just wanting more?

I came into a 7mm rem barrel gonna try bergers first 1-8 twist gonna stay away from 180 eldm lol

Not even done with my first bolt action build in 280 Ackley and already want to start another. Was recently turned on to a range near me that has targets from 100yds-1mile. I want to build a second target practice type bolt action that is easily capable out to a mile with cheaper/cheapish (probably tough given the distance) ammo. I know the 280 Ackely can go pretty far but the ammo isn't the cheapest and I'm building that primarily for hunting. I was looking at 300PRC for hunting until I settled on the 280. Would maybe go 300PRC for the purpose. Any recommendations that would be a contender?
300 Norma Mag all day!

Reactions: Runnineh
Interesting. Under what conditions? No disrespect on your shooting abilities, just thought 6.5CM was good to about 13-1400.
Depends on the elevation. Our range is at 5000 feet and we usually have a density elevation of around 6400. The 147 ELD stays supersonic to just past a mile so we are very consistent.