• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting platforms for shooting prone

I have had the idea in my head to build a shooting platform on a trailer so I can put it different places.
Your setup is going to be nice.

Reactions: B Man and Jgunner
I have had the idea in my head to build a shooting platform on a trailer so I can put it different places.
Your setup is going to be nice.
Suspension wiggles way too much. However, you could use 4 stowable trailer jacks at the corners and make it pretty rigid. They sell a weld on stem that pins the jack in 0, 90, 180, 270 and 360° for stoving or it simply removes. Ive had this idea for years for a small flatbed camping trailer and just have not got around to it yet

Reactions: raider1v1
Suspension wiggles way too much. However, you could use 4 stowable trailer jacks at the corners and make it pretty rigid. They sell a weld on stem that pins the jack in 0, 90, 180, 270 and 360° for stoving or it simply removes. Ive had this idea for years for a small flatbed camping trailer and just have not got around to it yet
Stabilizing jacks in the corners are part of the idea

Reactions: Jgunner
Stabilizing jacks in the corners are part of the idea
SO as long as its not too big a trailer, it will flex in the middle, but you could add two jacks there too if need be. Its just precision shooting requires stability. Something most mobile objects just dont have typically. Wind, your movements, someone leaning on the side, damn near anything causes slight movements that would cause inaccuracies.

I did something like this for a friends saw mill on a trailer frame to be mobile. Just ordered camper trailer jacks from Amazon and welded them straight to the bottom of the frame. Use a drill with a socket and set them. Things had way more abuse and weight than a shooting platform would ever have and he’s still using it. Simple and cheap

Lanes clear and level. One will be a road flanking the range to drive to targets. I’m putting the platform at the far end close to the property line so I’ll be shooting into our property.
Don’t think I’ll get 1000 yards, it’s 976 to the back, but the rows start to curve enough you can’t get full use out of the plat form without being on the extreme edge. Looked like the best I can get will be 850 +\- 25yds to have full use of it.

Hope to start on the platform next weekend.View attachment 8179540View attachment 8179541
Looking good.

Best I can do right now is 750. I might be able to stretch it to 800 but that'll require an afternoon or two with the Stihl. And this ain't the time of year for that... unless "death by heat stroke and exsanguination" is what you want on your death certificate. The ticks and chiggers are horrendous this year.

Mike

Reactions: B Man
Some nice ranges in this thread.
Mine is redneck by all means. 400-500 yrds for the common area and about 700 in an adjacent lane.
The whole shebang is actually additional acreage that was sold off by the previous owner. Being farmed now but I still get to enjoy.
My elevated platform is on my plot in the form of a 40' semi trailer. Nothing spectacular ..... it works though.

Stopped in to work on it a few hours this evening. Tell you fellas one thing, it is hot.

B58CF65E-655A-4A16-B510-98323C677B87.jpeg
DB18AF51-CE91-4340-973E-4BBF8C9E79FF.jpeg

Stopping short on the roof for a bit to catch up on some things around the farm. Threw a quick rail up around it just for a little safety and it to be useable for now. Wife and my boy came out yesterday with her AR as I was finishing up wanting to shoot. They are already enjoying it and worth every bit of time and sweat put into this watching them. Definitely glad I went with the 16’x10’ like some of you advised. Was never short for room.

9E4BA812-209C-468D-9A30-FAEB2CB3020C.jpeg
C641EF88-D587-4F37-8EC8-6FB4BB7500F3.jpeg
785C9BA9-9B23-4F80-9B55-256004D4F1A7.jpeg
592245E4-AF9D-4941-B8AC-A465B30B8E62.jpeg
C6F14556-17B4-41B8-9245-7853197C02D6.jpeg

What is the history of the covered and aligned forest?

Assuming I understand your question correctly. It was cut about 25 years ago and replanted. In my area this is a normal practice to replant in rows like a farm crop so it is easier to managed.
You understand correctly.

Northeast forest tends not to be managed in that manner when it comes to hardwoods.

Typically owners sell their wood privately and from what I have seen the skidders go in drag out the wood and the real deal should be on what it looks like when they leave.

Typical evidence I have seen is a lot of crap left behind and letting nature restore the lot on its own time.

My data set is an example of one to base that on.

Your soils and land contours appear a lot more amenable to having a good cleanup and replant than my observed property.

Thank you for the enjoyable post!

You understand correctly.

Northeast forest tends not to be managed in that manner when it comes to hardwoods.

Typically owners sell their wood privately and from what I have seen the skidders go in drag out the wood and the real deal should be on what it looks like when they leave.

Typical evidence I have seen is a lot of crap left behind and letting nature restore the lot on its own time.

My data set is an example of one to base that on.

Your soils and land contours appear a lot more amenable to having a good cleanup and replant than my observed property.

Thank you for the enjoyable post!

This stand has been logged twice since replanting, thinned. Second time last year. I’m also a forester, I thinned this stand myself. Logging planted pine timber with careful and organized practices is easier and leaves the site much better than hardwood areas.

Your project is looking good!!!

I appreciate that. I’d say it turned out pretty well. But I do have to add the roof soon for more comfort from the sun when it finds its way through the timber.

Awesome job!

For anyone wanting to build a shooting platform, I'd suggest using a tarp or other method to put between people and chemicals in pressure treated wood.

Making a range for personal use for me and my wife, a few friends will join us time to time. Looking for what size platforms will be adequate for up to 3 shooters. I was set on 10x12 but now I’m thinking possibly 10x16. I will be setting it on 4 poles buried and concrete in place. Went today to drop everything off on the property and start working ground for the range and platform.

Some ideas and pictures of any you have built or used for inspiration would be great.

View attachment 8178456

Lay on your wife.